Author Topic: Lake Winnipeg/Canada tips  (Read 3495 times)

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lake Winnipeg/Canada tips
« on: Jan 25, 2017, 03:11 PM »
Still a month+ out from our first trip to Winnipeg but getting antsy. Any of you have words of wisdom? Not necessarily ice fishing related but things not to miss around the lake. Good eats/bars?  Tips for getting across the border? Or anything that pertains to fishing is good to know too.

Offline Doug1980

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Winnipeg/Canada tips
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Well, I am sure you will have a good time!   This will be my fifth year going, so a couple of pointers I can think of would be to get to the landings early.   If it's anything like last year, it was a complete zoo on the East side (every year equals more people it seems like), so if you wanted any chance of decent parking, we would be at the lake by 7 or so.   Also, there were problems with theft and vehicle break-ins last year, we just kept valuables with us, and I had locked my trailer to my truck.   Someone could have still easily stolen it, but I think if you are just smart about it, you shouldn't run into any problems (knock on wood).   Have never had any real issues at the borders for anything, so not sure I have any pointers there.    barbed hooks and drinking are illegal on the ice.   Plenty of guys seem to ignore those rules, but we try to keep it by the book (besides, drinking and fishing is great in a permanent house, but for the amount of work we do, I wouldn't even want more than 1-2 anyway, and we drink plenty at night), and we also make sure we pick up after ourselves.   Common sense stuff for most fisherman, but would hate to see a good thing ruined by bad behavior.   Pretty much every local I have met up there is very friendly/helpful.  As to the fishing, it sounds like you already have the "fever" so I'm sure you have already read plenty of articles, youtube vids, etc...   It can be really good, and it can be slow (it is fishing after all) but the key is mobility.   It took me a while to really figure that out, since I am so used to fishing structure in Minnesota, but we don't stay at a spot longer than 30-40 minutes if we aren't catching/marking fish.   I'm not sure about places to eat.   We don't do a ton of that, as we stay with friends up in the Balsam Bay area, so don't go out a whole lot.   Anyway, I'm sure it will be another good year up there, I'm pretty excited myself!

Offline Grantster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2017, 10:26 PM »
And watch the weather reports!!!  If it says its a good day, prepare for a bad day anyways...  Last year we had a few people out there on the ice with wind and little snow around the lake in the morning, but it was pretty bad on the lake in the late afternoon.. damn near blizzard/white out..

My 2¢

Other than that..   the guys in the tents in a group are the best!!  always willing to help out with tips and such, most will invite you right in..  just whatever you bring onto the ice, take with you as you leave :)

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2017, 03:22 PM »
Anybody got pictures of some of their own greenbacks? I just learned that crown royal is made in the western shores, is it a suitable substitute for water up there?

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Crown is distilled in gimli. With the new AIS rules, if you choose to use live minnows, they must be killed and discarded at the lake. Make sure no one in your group " forgets" about a past conviction at customs. Only frozen minnows allowed to be imported.

Offline avidangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2017, 03:41 PM »
First trip ?? Wont be your last  . You can pretty much drill a hole anywhere and chances are there will be greebbacks below gl

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2017, 10:27 PM »
Yes first trip. Can't wait. Staying in Selkirk and not sure where we will go on the lake. Hoping to become a master angler!

Offline Grantster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:37 AM »
"With the new AIS rules, if you choose to use live minnows, they must be killed and discarded at the lake"

I do believe it says that they say to kill them on the shore..  I guess if they have anything on them or in the water, it wont stay in the Lake..

~snip~ As seen in the 2016 Manitoba Anglers' Guide, if you are using live bait in an Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) control zone, you must discard any remaining bait on the shore of that water body as you leave. ~snip~

more info at http://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/waterstewardship/stopais/help/control_zone.html

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2017, 07:56 PM »
"With the new AIS rules, if you choose to use live minnows, they must be killed and discarded at the lake"

I do believe it says that they say to kill them on the shore..  I guess if they have anything on them or in the water, it wont stay in the Lake..

~snip~ As seen in the 2016 Manitoba Anglers' Guide, if you are using live bait in an Aquatic Invasive Species (AIS) control zone, you must discard any remaining bait on the shore of that water body as you leave. ~snip~

more info at http://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/waterstewardship/stopais/help/control_zone.html

It's based on open water fishing. The rules are still convoluted. Kill and discard on shore.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.