Author Topic: how to set up a frabill pro thermal tip up???  (Read 20407 times)

Offline brypauld

• IceShanty Rookie
how to set up a frabill pro thermal tip up???
« on: Dec 28, 2011, 03:17 PM »
Hi guys, I just got a frabill pro thermal tip up (the black and yellow sealed one) and I can't figure how to set it up. It has the long flag arm that you fold up in half. I wish there was a video or something. I can't even describe the darn tip up to you guys... the little plastic pieces with tabs,locks,holes... blah blah blah... I am sure somebody has these and knows what the heck I am talking about and can help me out here??? Thanks in advance, Bryan

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: how to set up a frabill pro thermal tip up???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2011, 06:21 PM »
There should be a black bar on the bottom metal pole of the two-piece flag. Slid it up into the top bar of the flag so its on both of them. This should straighten out the flag. Then fold the spool located on the underside of the tip-up down and then pull down on it. This should make the top black "reel" come down to the top of the tip-up. Bend your flag down underneath the reel on either side (the flat bottom or the 45 degree angled one).   Hope this helps! I have two of these tip-ups and I also purchased my first frabill flipover this year and I must say, Frabill directions really suck... They are always really difficult!

Offline brypauld

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2011, 07:44 PM »
Thanks Philly, I think I got it... Definately a little trick to get the flagpole to stay under the reel without the flagpole spring tripping it from tension (tuck the pole under the reel and all the way up tight to the reel shaft so it kind of locks in to the angled plastic of the reel next to the shaft)...
I presume then the little pieces of plastic off the reel and flagpole straightener piece are little handles for your fingers??
Is there a purpose for the little hole in the reel?? And the hole in the flag??? (wind??)
Indented hole in between flagpole keeper and reel holder??? (screwdriver holder for prying out tip up??) :)
Last but not least, 2 raised peices (one on each side of tip up top) Slots used for prying tip up out of hole with              screwdriver???

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:25 PM »
I believe the hole in the "reel" is for a drill attachment of some sort for reeling it up. The two protruding bumps on the top are for stacking purposes. And yes, the stick in the reel and the flag hinge holder thingamajig are for your fingers. I don't know about the hole in the flag. Could be for wind I guess?? I used them the other day and I was real impressed. Very nice tipups.

Offline double_a85

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2011, 02:38 PM »
Philly--- I saw the comment you made about Frabill and their lack of directions. I couldn't agree more! I am new to ice fishing and got a portable 2 man shelter for Christmas... I am a mechanic and can do a pretty good job, but dang was that hard!  Felt like I was a 10 yr old reading chinese!

Just got some of these tip ups as well-- first ones I have owned--- can't wait to try em out.

Offline Dust Devil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2014, 01:29 AM »
Just got one of these tip-ups today and was really scratching my head. Found a video called how to set up a frabill 10 pro thermal tip up and all he showed was how to spool line on the damn thing. Then he says he's heading to the ice to continue the demo and all he shows is the tip up going off and hauling in a little jack fish. No info at all on how to arm it.

Well at least ice shanty came through. even if it was a thread that's 3 years old :-) Anyway thanks for the info.

Offline Jfraze10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2015, 03:09 PM »
had one last one season before that middle arm pretty much gave out/ id replace it with a different flag that or bring tape lol

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2015, 04:26 PM »
If it ever fails, find a piece of rubber hose that fits over that joint. Mine also failed after about a year.
-Tom

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:06 AM »
my bro in law was using one of these saturday and had wind flags all day long.i wanted to kick the pos down the hole.i told him when one of my beaver dam flags goes up there will be a fish on it.sure enough I had 1 flag  all day even with the wind and it was a nice fat 32 inch northern.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2015, 11:13 AM »
Hole in the flag is for a light ...twist and lock

t=18
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:47 PM »
Fiddle around with it and you'll wonder why you couldn't figure it out sooner. Hole in spool is for poking the end of the flag into for secure storage. Fold up shaft and put end of flag in hole. Keeps everything in place.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline XhardwaterX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2015, 08:48 PM »
When I first got the black ones I was very frustrated cuz I kept getting wind flags an just the tension of the spring on flag was tripping it. I was folding the spool down from its hole and using it that way, the trip was up in the air. Well once I figured out that after you pull spool down you also have to push trip down which pushes the rod down so trip is right on top of base like the orange ones, I haven't had a problem haha

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.