Author Topic: mono verus steel  (Read 805 times)

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
mono verus steel
« on: Jan 01, 2011, 05:28 PM »
I am sure this post is here somwhere i just have not found it yet .    I have used mono 30pound plus leaders on my tipups and i have used steel leaders .   I have not found a great difference in the way they caught fish.   I am wondering what every one else feels about it.

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: mono verus steel
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2011, 07:14 PM »
I didnt like steel leaders and didnt care for mono leaders to much either,the memery is hard to get rid of,while browsing in gander mountain I came across this stuff called toothey critter leader line,its the best stuff I ever used it comes in a envelope type package try some you may like it.

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:42 PM »
I have used just about everything.  What I am using now, and seem to like the best, is to use 25 or 30 pound mono as my backer, and run a 3 foot leader of spiderwire.  Seem to get just as much action as anything else I use.
rippin' lips one fish at a time 

Offline DaveW731

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:01 PM »
I use about 8# of Tyger steel leader (black) and a circle hook on one tipup and 20# flouro leader with a circle hook on the other.   It has always seemed like I get more flags on the the flouro leader and with the circle hook, 75% of the hooksets are in the corner of the mouth, as advertised.  The other 25% usually results in needing to retie, since flouro seems to nick real easy.
"There is no failure, except in no longer trying"

Offline Chaki17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2011, 12:20 PM »
Circle hook with 17+ flouro is what I have found works for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.