Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > General Tips

Rod Holder Mod to Hold Short Handle Rods

(1/2) > >>

defiant1:
I posted a question on what rod holders would accommodate the 13 Fishing short handle ice rods I have and was given the suggestion to use PVC with my existing holder.  I figured I would share this solution.

The first picture is the standard rod holder that did not give me a warm fuzzy when inserting the rod as it did not have a lot of handle secured in the holder.  I was nervous the rod would not stay in the holder should a fish get on and the drag wasn't set correctly.

The second and third pictures is where I used 1 1/4" PVC cut to length.  I notched out about 1 1/2" x 1/2" at the end to accommodate reel stem.  I drilled holes in PVC to attached to rod holder via zip ties.

I have more confidence in this setup for my short handle ice rods.

d1

Monticatgeek:
these should work with short handled rods. only wish they would of redesigned it so that you could switch the piece where the rod goes in around so you could have one end where your rod is locked in by the reel stem and then the way it is pictured now if you want it to be able to turn from side to side. Might have to talk to the R&D guys and see if they would be open to a redesign suggestion.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/accessories/single-mountable-rod-holder.html

defiant1:

--- Quote from: Monticatgeek on Dec 08, 2017, 11:44 PM ---these should work with short handled rods. only wish they would of redesigned it so that you could switch the piece where the rod goes in around so you could have one end where your rod is locked in by the reel stem and then the way it is pictured now if you want it to be able to turn from side to side. Might have to talk to the R&D guys and see if they would be open to a redesign suggestion.

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/accessories/single-mountable-rod-holder.html

--- End quote ---

I saw those and had the same observation you did.  I researched several options and could not find any that fit the bill.  This homemade version should work for the time being.

d1

Rugburn:

Houligan:

--- Quote from: Rugburn on Feb 06, 2018, 04:10 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Rugburn, that's a nifty little addition. Thanks for sharing to both of you!

Cheers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version