Author Topic: This snow b-lo's  (Read 2043 times)

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
This snow b-lo's
« on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:02 AM »
One thing I remember when I was dealing bait was that nothing kills a ice fishing season quicker than a lot of snow. My sales went down to nothing because the avg joe doesn't want to trudge thru deep snow to ice fish. It inhibits what you can bring along and just walking sometimes is very laborous. I remember two years ago on Opeachee trudging thru knee deep snow just dragging the auger and some jig rods and we nearly died. Just having to pick your legs up that much higher is a killer. This deep stuff also inhibits the use of ATV's.
I might have to look for a cheap used snowmobile. Although I'm sure the prices have risen with the current state of the snow. then again maybe not as I know there is a ton of people looking to get out from under something they haven't been able to use much in the past few years.....hmmmmm.

Spike
Still fishing but not sure how much more snow I can take.
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline possumilk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region
Re: This snow b-lo's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:33 AM »
i made an attempt this morning but could not get bait locally, and could not drive through 5 inches of snow on the roads to get to either meredith or bristol for bait.  just jigging in this weather seems futile and rather silly, so i turned around and went home.  had this day pegged for fishing for 2 weeks... now i am stuck in the house.  FRUSTRATING!!! >:(
Go Pats!!!!!
>))))))>

Offline newfoundpleasure

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2007, 11:19 AM »
Things could be worse.  We could be worrying that warm temperatures and no ice would cancel a derby.  The Winter unemployment rate and ski area bankruptcies could be what they've been in past years in Northern NH,   I'm sitting on my couch happy as can be, cuz we're finally going to have a normal Winter here in NH.  It's been too long, and remember, it's only mid December.
Spank the Jets!

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:08 PM »
At least the snow has a positive effect on the big lakes trying to freeze up, the cove in alton bay has almost 2inches of slush blocking the waves, so by tonight it should be locked up. Also I checked alton today and there is ice 2/3 up the bay.Boat ramp has 7inches of ice.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:16 PM »
Well up here in Berlin, I had to use 4WD just to get out of my driveway.  The snowdrifts were pretty neat to see. I don't care what anyone says, I feel like a little kid. I love the snow and have been deprived of it for the last couple of years really.  I also confirmed my schedule at work. I am off from the 28th until the 2nd!  I am headed to the 3rd Conn. Lake in Pittsburg for the first trip of the season!

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:32 PM »
Hey DD I was thinking on headin up that way for X-mas vacation with some buds. How is the fishing up there, does the 3rd have browns salmon and lakers? IS there a place to camp on the ice or a State park on the shores of 3rd CL?

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:37 PM »
I hear ya Capt: this will be the first year since 2002 that I'm not putting studs in my Quad tires. I fished Sat with the ATV dragged all my junk to the pond rode it safely along the edge. the way these storms are going it may be the first and last time of the season  Art

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2007, 12:38 PM »
Hey DD I was thinking on headin up that way for X-mas vacation with some buds. How is the fishing up there, does the 3rd have browns salmon and lakers? IS there a place to camp on the ice or a State park on the shores of 3rd CL?

The 3rd has bows and lakers in it. Francis is the only lake with browns that can be fished through the ice. The state campgrounds are closed so you have to rent a place. There is no camping allowed unless you are in a campground.  Remember that fishing season does not start till the 1st for LT/Sal waters.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:36 PM »
hey duck doctor......someday take a ride over milan hill after a big snow storm.........the snow banks get so high that it feels like you are driving through a tunnel.....have  you tried mary's pizza yet?.........they make a mean pizza if you like heavy cheese and sauce, good luck up there and i love the wood paneling.........it makes me feel at home. peace
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:42 PM »
hey duck doctor......someday take a ride over milan hill after a big snow storm.........the snow banks get so high that it feels like you are driving through a tunnel.....have  you tried mary's pizza yet?.........they make a mean pizza if you like heavy cheese and sauce, good luck up there and i love the wood paneling.........it makes me feel at home. peace

Mary's in Milan? I have not ventured to far that way. When I am "on call" I can't venture out of Berlin. When I am "on duty" I am stuck at the station for 24 hours. When I am "off duty" I have been home. But now that ice fishing season has arrived, I will be on the ice every chance I get!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:45 PM »
marys is right when you come into berlin on the berlin line........ you will see the old mill on your right (which is known as cascade flats)......take a right......go over the tracks and then you will see a small pizza place
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2007, 03:55 PM »
I will have to check that out. The guy that lives below me is on his second snowblower today!  He broke the shear pins in one and thought it was junk. He bought another one and is trying to keep up with the snow drifts. He does not own a car but keeps the driveway cleared!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.