Author Topic: Setting up for the year  (Read 2248 times)

Offline Cadoda

• IceShanty Rookie
Setting up for the year
« on: Dec 14, 2007, 07:15 PM »
Where do people like to set up?  I'm not asking for anyone to give away secret spots or anything.

Last year, we set up at Ellacoya State park for the year.  Only caught a few cusk at the end of the season.  Not impressive when you fish every weekend.

Two years ago, we fished the derby at Center Harbour and were skunked for the weekend.

I like these spots for the easy access, and I actually enjoy the crowds on derby weekend, but this year, I want to catch fish. 

Anyone fish Alton Bay?  How's the access and the fishing?

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Setting up for the year
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2007, 07:46 AM »
Ha i seem to have the same problem. We fished Alton last year and only hooked salmon. So this year we are gonna fish paugus bay and see what happens.

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2007, 09:49 AM »
I have a camp by the end of alton bay where it connects to the main lake on woodlands road and I do very good on lakers both in the winter and spring but have not ice fished it in a long time, but with all of the pressure around the public launches I think that I will set up in smalls cove off of my camp this year I have a nice sandy beach for rainbows and another 100 yards away im in laker and cusk territory. I had the same problem last year, I was at ellacoya for the derby caught a trout that held 4th place for untagged rainbow for a while but got bumped out and besides the other 6 or so trout I got for the season that was it. Tons of pressure, fish around the areas of these pressures areas, I assume they are like deer they move from an area of high pressure to an area of little pressure, I mean if you look at the 100's of people off of ellacoya last year you can only think of what it sounds like with 50 cars and a 100 4x4 and sleds under the ice, fish are just not used to all that comotion, especially rainbows. Im gona venture out this year and find a place that is outa the way and less pressured somewhere on the west coast of the lake between alton and ellacoya is the beach in front of my camp does not produce between jan 1st and the derby.my.02 my recommendation is that you have a sled or 4x4 and get away from the crowds and find a small sandy beach away from all of the comotion.

Offline Cadoda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:13 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  It looks like I may be out-voted this year.  The two guys I built the bobhouse with want to go back to Ellacoya :-\

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2007, 06:46 PM »
If you are looking for cusk........fish between the two islands off of elecoya.  Half way between the beach and the islands there is a deep trough.  Fish a sucker fillet on the bottom at the edge of the trough.  Pound a big sweedish pimple near the fillet...........That is all I can tell you.  ;)

Offline Cadoda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2007, 04:27 PM »
I actually took a ride around Winni today, and was surprised how little ice there is.  Center Harbor and Meridith Bay were starting to ice over.  Ellacoya is still completely open and Alton Bay is about halfway out. 
Where do people access Alton Bay?  Is there a spot down the bay away from all the traffic?

Greg

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2007, 05:16 PM »
Acess on Alton bay is kinda spotty, but there are some smaller places(very limited parking) on the upper mid eastern section of the bay but that is pretty much it unless you nkow somone on the lake.

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2007, 05:19 PM »
there will be plenty of ice though in some protected spots for on foot ice fshing by jan 1st ;D I am going to check my camps cove this sunday and will have to get back on its thickness.

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:04 PM »
They used to let you park at the beach on the east side at the bottom of the bay. Or over by the ramp, not sure if they still do though.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I think town residents of Alton are allowed I may be wrong ???

Offline Cadoda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2007, 11:09 PM »
There must be a public area there.  If I remember corectly, Alton is where the airstrip is and where they start the dog-sled races.  There were lots of bobhouses and cars driving around out there last year.  I just didn't see much in the way of public launch areas when I drove around today.  I did see a public beach of some sorts, but there was no parking there. 

Offline MonktonMan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:39 AM »
I fished Sandy point 3 years ago in Alton Bay and caught junk fish.  Lost one bow at the hole.
The next year I fished Meredith at Headquarters.  I did it just to say I've done it.  I caught one Pick, and saw someone pull a nice bow out of the mouth of the river.  Way too many people though, and I'll never do it again.
Last year I did Loon Cove in Alton Bay.  Couple lakers and a bunch of salmon.
I'm gonna run Paugus bay this year and try that out. 

I have been eyeing a spot on the west shore near Coleman I'd like to try.  Maybe next year.

Onehook, I was gonna fish smalls last year.  Looks like a nice spot.

Anyways, see you guys out there.  My shanty is made out of cedar boards, so it's not hard to spot.

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:26 PM »
I like smalls, it is well......small and protected and very sandy ;D

Offline onehook

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack Trout
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:02 PM »
does anyone here fish ossippee L. during the derby?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.