Author Topic: Jigging a big shallow sand bowl! (*Underwater view*)  (Read 684 times)

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jigging a big shallow sand bowl! (*Underwater view*)
« on: Mar 02, 2024, 09:18 AM »
This was last weekend, but seems like longer than that w/ the warm temps + ice breaking up.

1st idea was a hiking trail (w/ a pond at the end)...but there were so many hikers + cars jammed in every which way....that I decided to bail & head further north.

2nd pond was a big shallow sand bowl with scattered weeds.  It's a decent sized lake, but nobody was fishing b/c it was mid-20's + blowing 10-20+.  You'd be surprised how few people like those conditions.  The deal here was to find a deeper hole & then fish around that deep hole.  The fish weren't directly in the deepest spot, they were on the edges....and specifically on an inside turn off a point nearest the deep(er) water.  Once you start figuring out these patterns, they hold from year to year....and also help you break down new water faster.  Anyway, jigging was OK once I got past the micro perch.  Towards the end, I had a bigger fish come in on camera....I couldn't tell exactly what it was....either a big crappie or bass.  I didn't get a great view of it.  I caught a medium-sized bluegill and when I got back to catch the bigger fish it had bolted away....

Check it out if you have some time...

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jigging a big shallow sand bowl! (*Underwater view*)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2024, 09:50 AM »
The deal here was to find a deeper hole & then fish around that deep hole.  The fish weren't directly in the deepest spot, they were on the edges....and specifically on an inside turn off a point nearest the deep(er) water.  Once you start figuring out these patterns, they hold from year to year....and also help you break down new water faster. 

Sage advice right here.

Offline RunForFlags

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2024, 07:58 PM »
This is why some % of fishermen catch % of the fish. Maybe 10% catch 90% or something like that. Another one is "you can't catch fish where there aren't fish".

Spoiler: I don't catch the fish  >:( but I'm trying  ;D

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2024, 06:48 PM »
So much effort goes into figuring out the "target" species in each body of water. Certain patterns stay consistent, others don't. What type of fish live there, what sizes are they, is there a group of larger ones than the ones you are on. What are they eating and when. Structure, weather, temps, cover, and type of water.

There is always something to learn which is why i love it. Great days are for the camera. Bad days are great for the brain.
Just add water.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2024, 10:44 AM »
Thx, guys! I appreciate it!   ;D

1 more video to go....then looks like ice season is done for me.  :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.