Author Topic: Okay, I'll start....  (Read 12166 times)

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Okay, I'll start....
« on: Sep 07, 2023, 07:10 PM »
I've been at the very least expecting a "this weather sux!" post, but you guys have been quiet.

So, what's up? Any new goals for the next season? New equipment? New fishing partners? (such as kids that are old enough to hold their own poles now?)

I bought a kayak from a friend, who, unfortunately, lost his wife a couple of years ago, and it was hers, so he knew nothing about it, and well, for $100, I learned about it. Nice rig, but I get soaked getting out of it every time lol. If there are any sea shanty fans here, you'll know why I named her The Antelope. I'm ready to hang it in the shed and put on the wool pants.

My big news is that my company is shutting down for Christmas week, and I'm considering taking the week after as well. My boss is a fisherman, so he understands the need to wait and see what the weather will be doing.

Enough about my exciting rockstar life, tell some stories!
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline denali

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Okay, I'll start....
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2023, 10:15 AM »
Replaced my tiny Frabill flip over with a Eskimo Insulated hub, new jet sled xl. Fishing partner is the same as last year, 90 lb mixed breed rescue that stares at the ice hole and judges.
Some people spend their entire life wondering if they’ve made a difference in this world. The Marines don’t have that problem...President Ronald Reagan

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2023, 10:09 PM »
not too much new for me yet, ended the season with a hefty snowmobile bill. It was due for some service and upgrades (hopefully I'll need it this season). I'm sure companies will come out with some new gear for me to buy and try out
Tight Lines!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2023, 04:22 PM »
Sounds like a great fishing partner, Denali. If you're gonna get judged, it might as well be by a furball. My old "grumpy old man" fishing partner was judgy, but probably not as cute as yours lol.

It never ends, does it, Bassin? We always need upgrades along with the mundane service lol.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2023, 03:40 PM »
Nice rig, but I get soaked getting out of it every time lol.

Is it a sit-inside or sit-on-top kayak?

If it's a sit-inside kayak, the way that I do it is to pull myself up by the front deck (cockpit rail?), step out & hook the kayak w/ my trailing foot to pull it up on land.  It takes some practice, but I can do it in shoes + socks and not get wet.  You can also use the paddle to brace yourself.

For a sit-on-top kayak, I just swing my legs over the side and get my feet wet.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2023, 03:43 PM »
I started a YT fishing channel for fun...hoping to post a few icefishing videos when the ice gets here.  I've got some ideas that I want to try.  Still trying to figure out how to film, edit, microphones, etc, etc....it's a work in progress....might be even harder in the cold.  I'll get there, tho!

So, that's what I've been up to!   ;D

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 12, 2023, 09:12 PM »
I started a YT fishing channel for fun...hoping to post a few icefishing videos when the ice gets here.  I've got some ideas that I want to try.  Still trying to figure out how to film, edit, microphones, etc, etc....it's a work in progress....might be even harder in the cold.  I'll get there, tho!

Hey jigmaster5. What’s the name of your YouTube channel. I’ll go over and give you a sub.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2023, 10:47 PM »

I’ll go over there and give you a sub as well
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2023, 02:05 PM »
Thx, guys. :tipup:

Channel is called, "Jon P. Fishing"....check it out if you have some time.

I'm just getting going...still learning how to film, edit + post videos.  It's a work in progress, but I'm learning + getting better with each video.

I've got 5 videos posted now and videos scheduled every Wed + Sat into early October.  All kinds of stuff coming from trapping bait to frog fishing in lily pads to fish busting bait on top.  As soon as safe ice gets here, I'll be out jigging + filming, too.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2023, 05:55 AM »

I'm just getting going...still learning how to film, edit + post videos.  It's a work in progress, but I'm learning + getting better with each video.

I've got 5 videos posted now and videos scheduled every Wed + Sat into early October.  All kinds of stuff coming from trapping bait to frog fishing in lily pads to fish busting bait on top.  As soon as safe ice gets here, I'll be out jigging + filming, too.
[/quote
Just subscribed, Looks like it’s going to be a great channel. Good luck
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2023, 11:42 AM »

Sounds fun! I'll check it out.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2023, 12:03 PM »
Thanks icefisher-45, lake snake + Guinea! ;D

New video posted this AM about using UV light from the sun to finish flies...sort of like epoxy flies...only takes a few seconds in the sun to set, too.  My fly tying skills aren't the best, but the flies really do work well when fish are on small bait.

Check it out if you have some time on this stormy/rainy/windy day. :tipup:

More videos coming every Wed 3PM and Sat 10AM...

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2023, 01:20 PM »
I’ll check that video out.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2023, 03:52 PM »
 We had a low of 44 degrees awhile back and I was thinking "only 12 more degrees to freezing". Then it warmed back up to 62 degree lows LOL. Got awhile before we hit the hard water !

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2023, 04:57 PM »

Nice channel Jigs… I like the pan fishing vid with the winter jig nice work
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 29, 2023, 05:02 PM »
I've been at the very least expecting a "this weather sux!" post, but you guys have been quiet.

So, what's up? Any new goals for the next season? New equipment? New fishing partners? (such as kids that are old enough to hold their own poles now?)

I bought a kayak from a friend, who, unfortunately, lost his wife a couple of years ago, and it was hers, so he knew nothing about it, and well, for $100, I learned about it. Nice rig, but I get soaked getting out of it every time lol. If there are any sea shanty fans here, you'll know why I named her The Antelope. I'm ready to hang it in the shed and put on the wool pants.

My big news is that my company is shutting down for Christmas week, and I'm considering taking the week after as well. My boss is a fisherman, so he understands the need to wait and see what the weather will be doing.

Enough about my exciting rockstar life, tell some stories!

Nothing new for ice fishing, but I did purchase a Northern Lite truck camper over the summer and had an absolute blast in it….being able to get into a dispersed camping area, an wake up next to the stream your fishing….awesome
Hope you had a good summer Steph…
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 02, 2023, 10:30 AM »
1st time checking in this season... Not really anything new planned for this year other than to hopefully have a better season than last. And maybe a new fishing partner but not too sure yet. Lost the little hound that many of you knew or at least seen many pictures of since I came on this site 10 years ago, time will tell if there's a little beagle pup hittin the ice with me this year or not. It's always tough replacing them but seems tougher not having them around.
I sure hope everyone has a safe and productive season, looking forward to the Ice Shanty ramblings as the weather changes and we all start making our way back here.

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline burtmcgurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 03, 2023, 07:26 PM »
Sorry for your loss stealth - looks like a good buddy and fishing partner.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2023, 11:11 PM »

Sorry for your loss Stealth - the shop must not be the same w/o the pup around.

Nothing knew and still trying to extend the open water season, and maybe fine some new places to try in the winter while at it. 

I have been on ice a couple of times in the last week (been on the Carolina rink all day today)... but no holes drilled yet.

No new purchases planned (but we all know they will happen) but hoping to use some of Joe's tips soon to tune up my gear and be more efficient/successful with the time we get on the ice this year... hope to see some of you out there when the times comes.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2023, 07:29 AM »
Sorry for your loss stealth.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 09, 2023, 07:57 PM »
Stealth, sorry to hear about your furry friend. 

Guinea,  As of today  ;) I am not planning any new gear.  I do want to see if I can target some bass on jigs.

As I think about it, one of those ultralight 10" augers for my ion might be nice.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 10, 2023, 09:03 AM »
Good too see when it starts to get a bite in the air we start thinking of a better season i hope. only new gear in the sights this year is a 12 AH Battery for my K drill. other than that just hitting the woods looking for Bambi till we have some fishable ice. On a side note my daughter is going to Plymouth State this year so i'm looking for a few places up there to wet some lines maybe get her out, so if anyone in that area wants some company some time let me know.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 10, 2023, 11:18 AM »
Sorry for your loss Stealth, my condolences.

Nothing new for me planned this year.....yet. Getting ready to start trapping bait. Got my bait tank cleaned and fired up this past weekend. Now gotta fill it!

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 11, 2023, 09:00 AM »
Meant to put this in my post condolences on your loss stealth losing a k9 friend is one of the hardest things.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 12, 2023, 08:41 AM »
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the kind words. And yes Dennis, the shop is way too quiet now...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 17, 2023, 07:54 AM »
I think I've seen pics of you with the pup on the boat. Sorry for your loss.

I'm checking in for the first time this season as well. I have nothing planned other than making a point of getting out more often. I'm living lakeside now so I'm hoping that will be an easy goal. I can watch my traps from the laundry room!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #26 on: Oct 18, 2023, 07:46 PM »
Sorry for the loss of your pup…take care stealth
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 24, 2023, 05:35 PM »
Seeing it was Guinea  that posted, I'll reply, I probably wouldn't have checked in if not for CD's passing and Ray telling me about the thread
. Franks banning has left a bad taste  in my mputh.. so this may be my.only other post of the season.

Lihe everyone else, this summer had its ups and downs, fising  in the brine was either lights put or a bust, the river was  as dirty as itvwas in 1970, I had an overheating issue with the boat that had me pulling my hair out because the"supply chain" issue delayed dilevery of  a 13 dollar part.
The lobster fishing  inshore was the worst I've ever seen until the end of August, then it was the best I've seen in years..I had to.pyll my gerar due to the approaching storms and an issue I'll speak of in a moment.
I knew the day was coming, it arrived this fall,  the transom of my 46 year old boat has given out, I've removed the console, all wiring and the ( also rotted ) deck and stringers, I'll be cutting out the transom  this weekend.. I'll be spending most of the winter building stringers,bulkheads Nd transom.. if I get everything ready to epoxy  in in the spring, I'll ice fish, otherwise, I'll spend my weekends fiberglassing and building my boat parts downstairs where its warm so I can reassemble as soon as I have low temperatures above 60
.good luck to everyone, i.may check in time and again, but I dont plan on contributing a whole lot

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Erb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 24, 2023, 09:59 PM »
Guinea, haven’t been checking shanty since March good to read some, been starting to think about the ice, had a good first year of striper tuna and lobster fishing. New gear this year a HT 6inch auger have yet to get the drill for it, probably will get a Milwaukee.
Dreaming of early ice.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 27, 2023, 01:57 AM »
Seeing it was Guinea  that posted, I'll reply, I probably wouldn't have checked in if not for CD's passing and Ray telling me about the thread
. Franks banning has left a bad taste  in my mputh.. so this may be my.only other post of the season.

Lihe everyone else, this summer had its ups and downs, fising  in the brine was either lights put or a bust, the river was  as dirty as itvwas in 1970, I had an overheating issue with the boat that had me pulling my hair out because the"supply chain" issue delayed dilevery of  a 13 dollar part.
The lobster fishing  inshore was the worst I've ever seen until the end of August, then it was the best I've seen in years..I had to.pyll my gerar due to the approaching storms and an issue I'll speak of in a moment.
I knew the day was coming, it arrived this fall,  the transom of my 46 year old boat has given out, I've removed the console, all wiring and the ( also rotted ) deck and stringers, I'll be cutting out the transom  this weekend.. I'll be spending most of the winter building stringers,bulkheads Nd transom.. if I get everything ready to epoxy  in in the spring, I'll ice fish, otherwise, I'll spend my weekends fiberglassing and building my boat parts downstairs where its warm so I can reassemble as soon as I have low temperatures above 60
.good luck to everyone, i.may check in time and again, but I dont plan on contributing a whole lot

Good luck Joe... we have all seen boat projects in peoples yards (and some of us have had them) that just never see the water again.  I am confident in your case however that you will have her running as good or better than new in no time.  Hopefully the project runs ahead of schedule and we'll get to fish at least once this ice season.  You'll be missed on the Shanty for sure.

P.S. I know it isn't on-topic (ice fishing) but if you are so inclined to share your progress, I know I for one would be interested in following.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.