Author Topic: Basic Smitty Sled Design  (Read 2439 times)

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
Basic Smitty Sled Design
« on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:53 PM »
PARTS
2 - 1x3 or 1x4 boards. Cut them a little wider than your sled.
4 - 1/2 thread stand pipes. I got 8 in but you can get smaller or larger.
8 - 1/2 threaded caps for pipes.
32 - 1/8 s/s screws for the caps.
4 - sm. screw hooks for the sides of the boards to attach bungies to secure your sled.
2 - lg hooks with nuts to attach your rope. 4 - washers.
12 ft rope so you can pull the sled with your chest.
2 - long bungies that will go over your sled to the boards. * You can use rachet straps of a tight fit.
2 - rope clips to attach your sled rope to the skies. So the sled will not slide backwards off the boards.

PROCEDURE
1. I included three pictures; top, bottom, and folded on side.
2. I attached the poles to the boards first.
3. Then I attached the poles to the skies.
4. Hand tighten the poles to the caps so you can fold the sled to put it in your SUV. Lube the poles at the end of the season so they don’t rust.
Other tips based on numbers above.
2. Pre drill the wood so it does not split. Also predriled the skis.
3. Attach the poles about a foot ahead of the middle of the skis. Then when you pull the sled, the weight will be in the front so the skis do not pick up.
3. The width between the front and back poles should be a total of 1 to 2 ft less than the length or your sled. My sled would fall between the wood when it moved. Now I use the rope clips and the rope from my sled to attach the sled to the front of the skis.

It sounds a little complicated if you’re like me; not a handy man. This is my second smitty sled. I know their are nicer ones out there, but this only took me a few hours to build. You can pick up a set of junk 5ft or 6ft skis at a ski shop and use a power screwdriver to detach the bindings.

Make sure you balance the weight in the sled. I had a few minor accidents when the sled tipped over. Also, I slide my sled onto the smitty when I am going out. When I am loading up, I take my sled off the smitty and load them in my SUV seperately

AKA Dinkmaster

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Basic Smitty Sled Design
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2021, 09:29 AM »
Nice simple design!
How do you prevent the sled from parallelogramming? The Smitty with wood risers relies on the notches in the risers to keep it square.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2021, 11:10 AM »
That seems to be a problem. Can you show me a picture of these notches? I am going to try rachet tie downs.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline claymore6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2021, 11:27 AM »

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2021, 11:51 AM »
I cut notches in the risers and the 2x4 cross pieces so I don't have to use any pins.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2021, 01:00 PM »
That seems to be a problem. Can you show me a picture of these notches? I am going to try rachet tie downs.

Drill holes in the two cross members aligned front to back. Run a pipe or rod between the two, secure in place with a pin for easy removal. I'd try a 5/8" hole, 1/2" OD pipe.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2021, 04:06 PM »
This is all Smitty sled copy rights..   ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2021, 05:54 PM »
An "X" across he 4 posts would do the trick. If you put one each way on the diagonals, and tighten them both, that will hold it square. You might even make one of them a wire, and set it to the correct length, and leave it in place, then just put the ratchet strap on the other diagonal and tighten it up.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2021, 06:43 PM »
i agree with badger. make them from conduit or something else fast and easy to work with.  dont need to be super strong. 

original is a very good design.  just is ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline JMZ

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • AKA Dinkmaster
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2021, 12:28 AM »
Nice simple design!
How do you prevent the sled from parallelogramming? The Smitty with wood risers relies on the notches in the risers to keep it square.

When I tie my sled to the from to the ski's it runs pretty straight. I like that the pipe threads are loose, so I can fold it down and store it in my SUV.
AKA Dinkmaster

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2021, 03:40 PM »
This is all Smitty sled copy rights..   ;D
Smitty did a lot of work to make his sled and protected his design by copyright or patent and I agree he deserves to reap the harvest, but the copyright or patent protects his design from other mass producers only.  An individual sled for ones self is not copyright or patent infringement, and if you think so then all you have to do is change one thing (dimension, hardware or material) from the copyrighted or patented design then your sled is not in violation.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2021, 11:22 AM »
When I tie my sled to the from to the ski's it runs pretty straight. I like that the pipe threads are loose, so I can fold it down and store it in my SUV.

I suppose that as long as the skis point the same direction, it does not matter if they are slightly parallelogrammed.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2021, 08:19 PM »
I love it.....”Smitty Sled” name is Trademarked however......
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Angola Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2021, 11:07 AM »
Just curious....this time of year many of the parking lots are down to gravel and mud.  How do you get your smitty onto the ice without tearing up your skis?  My smitty is permanently fixed to my flip-over.
"I catch the fish, you cook the fish.  The only time we're together is when we eat the fish"

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2021, 12:16 PM »
Just curious....this time of year many of the parking lots are down to gravel and mud.  How do you get your smitty onto the ice without tearing up your skis?  My smitty is permanently fixed to my flip-over.

We just drop it off at the landing and then park the vehicle. 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #16 on: Mar 03, 2021, 09:15 AM »

Add wheels.......

[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Angola Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2021, 05:27 AM »
Thanks CWAVS and Smitty.  Love the wheels idea.  May try to engineer a 2-wheel dolly to move it.
"I catch the fish, you cook the fish.  The only time we're together is when we eat the fish"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.