Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2017  (Read 93057 times)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2017
« Reply #660 on: Jul 21, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Thank you for the picture slide show. Nice to view ice fishing photos while trying to cool off from  the heat here in south eastern NY.
Steve

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #661 on: Aug 16, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Time to get serious about working on Ice Fishing Stuff.....(writing myself a list so i can refer back to it.)

Right now the first priority is to get ready for trapping bait in the fall. It'll be here before i know it.

I have a new Bait Cage to wrap (thanks Laker Taker!! for making me a new frame)
Design & Build a New Sucker bait box with a separate section for smelt and red fins. Currently i mix them together in my box.
Tune up and PM Maintenance the Argo, Wheeler and Snowmobile
PM Maintenance trailers
Fire up the augers and see which ones need to go to DAG's Bait and Tackle (any excuse to go to DAG's)
Repairs to the bob houses
New add ons to the bob houses and trailers
Go through all my ice fishing gear (usually do this late fall, just prior to first ice)

Im sure there are other things that I'm forgetting at the moment but this list will keep me busy for a while.

Hope everyone is thinking ice....

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #662 on: Aug 16, 2017, 11:26 AM »
Hey Jigging
funny u mention getting ready
 I'm taking ur advise on building my first shack early in the season
 just called nfs Jason 2day to get a quote on building my frame
never 2 early 4 ice fishing prep...lol
nice chatting with u and all the folks at the gathering... great group, good laughs, and awesome time
good luck with ur list
Timmy

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #663 on: Aug 16, 2017, 12:00 PM »
Hey Jigging
funny u mention getting ready
 I'm taking ur advise on building my first shack early in the season
 just called nfs Jason 2day to get a quote on building my frame
never 2 early 4 ice fishing prep...lol
nice chatting with u and all the folks at the gathering... great group, good laughs, and awesome time
good luck with ur list
Timmy

Good idea! NFS / Jason is great to work with. The exterior is easy and quick. Once you start working on the inside / detail work, that's where all the time is spent.

If you have any questions, feel free to hit me up. Glad to help.

And yes, the gathering was awesome. Hope we can meet up again this coming season.

Cheers.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #664 on: Oct 08, 2017, 10:45 AM »
10/08/2017

Trapping season has started. Tippin, Laker Taker and I dropped our traps and holding cages in today. Rained while setting them out. Stopped when we came in. Pretty muggy out. Water temp 64f.
Got a few looks and questions from the residents but happy to explain what we are up to and what we are after.
Hoping for a good trapping season w no hassles.
Stay tuned for updates.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #665 on: Oct 08, 2017, 01:10 PM »
10/08/2017

Trapping season has started. Tippin, Laker Taker and I dropped our traps and holding cages in today. Rained while setting them out. Stopped when we came in. Pretty muggy out. Water temp 64f.
Got a few looks and questions from the residents but happy to explain what we are up to and what we are after.
Hoping for a good trapping season w no hassles.
Stay tuned for updates.

And it begins!! Funny how you were questioned!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #666 on: Oct 09, 2017, 07:01 PM »
Sucker Trapping Trailer from 2016

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #667 on: Oct 09, 2017, 07:50 PM »
Funny and “finny” little movie there Jiggin!
Shobizz and I thought we were witnessing the 2nd coming of the movie “The Ten Commandments” and surely the next characters were going to be Charleston Heston and Elizabeth Taylor along with the three amigos!
Keep it up...we’re “suckers” for your sense of humor!

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #668 on: Oct 10, 2017, 06:25 AM »
Bamb308 & I are still cracking up. Can't wait for the featured film.

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #669 on: Oct 10, 2017, 05:29 PM »
Great job, Jiggin!
Hope this year's traps are full of suckah's.....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #670 on: Oct 10, 2017, 07:20 PM »
10/10/2017

Checked traps tonight. Air temp was 68F and Water temp was 66F. Air and water seem to be balancing out in terms of temp. No wind really to speak of so smooth ride out in the boat. Got some suckers and not too many horn pout, thank god cause all they do is sting the suckers and they eventually die of the wounds. Kept the traps in the same spot for another soak. In roughly ~ 9 fow.

So far season is looking good but then again, this is only the first pull.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #671 on: Oct 10, 2017, 08:53 PM »
Damn Jiggin. That trailer is awesome. Very cool. Video editing is wild. Thanks for sharing.  Good luck.
Salmonemia

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #672 on: Oct 11, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Great job, Jiggin!
Hope this year's traps are full of suckah's.....

X2
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #673 on: Oct 12, 2017, 07:33 PM »
10/12/2017

Checked traps tonight. Air temp 48F, Water temp 64F.

I did ok tonight for suckers, not as many as the other day. Tippin and Laker Taker fell short on suckers but a ton of horn pout in their traps. I had a few in mine too. Hate catching horn pout, we dump them all back obviously but to only catch them over again  >:( 
Water was flat with no wind. Leaves are changing, nice fall evening. Lake was almost mirror like.

Kept my traps in the same general location. Same depth ~ 7 - 9fow.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #674 on: Oct 15, 2017, 10:05 AM »
10/15/2017

Warm morning 67F and water temp @ 64F. Lake had a mirror finish, was cloudy out with some fog hanging low on the mountains.

Didn't do so good today, only 1 sucker in my traps. Bounced the traps to another spot in 9 fow.

Had an Bald Eagle do a fly by on us checking for food. Pulled out 2 dead suckers in the cage from horn pout stings.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #675 on: Oct 17, 2017, 07:17 PM »
10/17/2017

Air Temp 48F, Water Temp 62F. Wasn't as windy as we thought it was gonna be, that was good but not a good night overall for me. I got 4 suckers in my traps and pulled 12 dead ones out of my cage from horn pout stings. Hoping the water starts to cool off fast so the horn pout start digging themselves in the mud staying out of our traps......cool nights should help.

Kept one trap in the same spot and moved the other. Still in 8-9 FOW.

Sucker numbers are low but we have another full month of trapping ahead of us before ice starts to set in.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #676 on: Oct 18, 2017, 07:57 AM »
Jiggin thanks for all your fine videos over the years, when I'm bored I just go to youtube and watch one of your videos, the new bobhouse is nice is that a rap to make it look like logs. Keep up the good work.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #677 on: Oct 18, 2017, 03:30 PM »
Jiggin thanks for all your fine videos over the years, when I'm bored I just go to youtube and watch one of your videos, the new bobhouse is nice is that a rap to make it look like logs. Keep up the good work.

Thank you Iceman260 for the nice comments. I make these videos for the same reason, to watch them during the off season when I'm bored and to remind me. Sorta like a diary of all the fun times on Newfound that i don't have to read but can watch instead. I put music to the videos because most of what is said, can't or shouldn't be broadcasted.  ;D (not appropriate). I'm always up for suggestions on music to add.

Yes that is a vinyl wrap of logs including the door. Like a big giant sticker. Same material you would use on a vehicle wrap. It's funny how many folks have come up and touched it to see if it was real. I manage an R&D team for a Printer and Ink manufacturer. We make the ink and test it. We're doing "real world" testing at the moment. ;)

I certainly can't take all the credit for the bob house, I had NFS manufacture the frame for me to my design and they helped supply me with the big dark windows and fiberglass siding. I put it all together and designed / built the inside around a stove / oven my daughter gave me ~ 8 years ago. I knew i would use it someday. Jason and his team @ NFS were excellent to work with and i was amazed at how they got it right the first time from only a "napkin design" and only communication through e mails and phone. Everything fit perfectly, windows, siding (siding wasn't standard width size), roofing material etc etc....spot on. i was able to put it together quite quickly and easily. Of course i had the design all laid out in my head (over the years) first so it was just a matter of execution.
I also had help from a friend (Psycho) who is an electrician for all the wiring and lights.

If your ever on Newfound, stop by and say hello!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #678 on: Oct 19, 2017, 11:12 AM »
LOVE the video....damn horny pouts ruin everything... I've got one swamp I trap for shiners that is so infested with them it is no longer worth it...

I need to pry myself away from Lake Wentworth long enough to spend some time on Newfound....sometimes winter is just too short!
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #679 on: Oct 19, 2017, 07:14 PM »
10/19/2017

Warm evening 61F and water temp @ 62F. Only got 3 suckers in the traps and took out 4 dead ones out of the cage from Horn pout stings. Tough season so far in terms of numbers. Moved the traps in ~ 6 - 9 FOW.

Released a good size Bass from the trap.

Keeping at it till freeze in.

Offline NH piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm tracker2011 on MFF
« Reply #680 on: Oct 21, 2017, 06:20 AM »
hey Jiggin I'm getting the itch already.  I just sold my Sport Shack.  I've spent the last two years over on Lake Sunapee and although it was fun the fishing was too slow to continue.  I decided to go back to the portable option.  I just bought the new Clam Refuge hut and I'm waiting for my new Magnum Otter sled with all the options to be shipped.  I can't wait to spend my ice fishing season on Newfound this winter with some other trips planned as well.  I hope to spend some time over there to learn the lake a bit.  I've only been over a few times but love that place.  See you guys there soon.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #681 on: Oct 21, 2017, 01:11 PM »
Hi NH piker

Sunapee is a great lake but when i fished it, i found it to be slow as well for Lakers. They got some nice ones in there for sure though. Always seemed windy too but then again so isn't Newfound.

Speaking of wind, you'll need to plan your days on Newfound using a portable around the wind conditions. There are a few places to hide to get out of the wind i.e.: around the islands and a few coves. Be sure to bring your radio and go to Channel 5.5, the lake is fairly easy to learn but having a Navionics map or GPS is a good idea.

Always a good time on Newfound. Here's to hopefully great ice conditions this season so we can all spread out.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #682 on: Oct 22, 2017, 07:36 PM »
10/22/2017

Morning Temp was 50F and water temp was 59F.

Didn't do so good today. Seem to be going backwards.....

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #683 on: Oct 23, 2017, 03:48 PM »
10/22/2017

Morning Temp was 50F and water temp was 59F.

Didn't do so good today. Seem to be going backwards.....

Just like the weather!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #684 on: Oct 29, 2017, 09:45 AM »
10/28/17

Yesterday was an exhausting day. We decided to pull out of where we were trapping and completely move to a different location. This meant taking our small amount of suckers, cages, traps, boat etc etc out of this body of water and relocating them to another body of water...We normally only do this once when we are done trapping in Nov just before ice in but looks like this season we will be doing it more.
Sucker Numbers are WAAAAY down. Not good. Water temp was 58F and Outside temp was 54F. Water is still too warm which keeps the horn pout active.
New location water temp was 50F.

Back at it again.......till ice in.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #685 on: Oct 29, 2017, 11:59 AM »
10/28/17

Yesterday was an exhausting day. We decided to pull out of where we were trapping and completely move to a different location. This meant taking our small amount of suckers, cages, traps, boat etc etc out of this body of water and relocating them to another body of water...We normally only do this once when we are done trapping in Nov just before ice in but looks like this season we will be doing it more.
Sucker Numbers are WAAAAY down. Not good. Water temp was 58F and Outside temp was 54F. Water is still too warm which keeps the horn pout active.
New location water temp was 50F.

Back at it again.......till ice in.

How many suckers do you normally start a season with?
Question #2 how many do you use DURING a season?
No question you go through many....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #686 on: Oct 29, 2017, 03:40 PM »
Mowbizz,

Predominately i fish with cut sucker meat.

I figure on ~ 3 suckers per weekend (Fri-Sun, sometimes Monday).
Not including:
Any for the derbies
Time off, i try for ~ 3 weeks during the season
Plus "sick days" or "snow days" ;)
Share cut bait w friends

So its a fair amount. That's how many i start with and use during the season.

ps: Right now I'm down to only 5 suckers.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #687 on: Oct 29, 2017, 04:00 PM »
Wow you got some suckerin’ to do!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #688 on: Oct 30, 2017, 09:16 AM »
When you see someone who accidentally left their fly down, ask them if they are trolling for suckers LOLOLOL

Sorry, just reminded me of that old joke my friends dad used!
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #689 on: Oct 30, 2017, 06:49 PM »
When you see someone who accidentally left their fly down, ask them if they are trolling for suckers LOLOLOL

Sorry, just reminded me of that old joke my friends dad used!

Doc you are in mid-season form.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.