Author Topic: Old Tricks Still Work  (Read 5840 times)

Offline NJ_ICE_HUNTER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Come on Cold!
Old Tricks Still Work
« on: Dec 10, 2002, 02:45 AM »
    I was reading the tricks for jigging up perch in the perch forum and I stumbled on a couple things that have always worked for me such as using eyes of previously caught fish.
However, nobody mentioned egg shells. I learned Both of these from two different 70+ year old timers on the ice one year.
        I start saving crushed eggs shells in a coffee can around October.  Then when I am jigging I drill about 6 holes at a clip, and put a pinch of egg shells in each one.  I think the fall of the shells attract the fish to the area and when the jig is down there, their white color serves as a backdrop for the jig in the dark water, but I am only guessing.  Some days this works great, because the hole without shells will not produce anything, but other days it makes no difference at all.  Whatever?
    Anyhow just tring to raise a little discussion and wondering if anyone else heard about this trick?

tjfog

Re: Old Tricks Still Work
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2002, 08:27 AM »
NJ ICE HUNTER, Ibelieve in some states the ole ice shsell trick is illegal. we use to do it for ice spearing cause it made the fish show up as rhey cruised over the top. I've never heard of shells attracting fish though.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2002, 03:16 PM »
the eggshell trick is an old trick here in upstate ny to attract smelt.

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #3 on: Dec 27, 2002, 04:02 PM »
use oatmeal.  that way you don't need to be like Cool Hand Luke and eat 50 eggs just so you can throw stuff down your hole.

wick

« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2002, 04:31 PM »
my grandpa used to do this when he used to ice fish

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2003, 01:44 AM »
Posted egg shell trick previously  Grandfather taught Father,Father taught Son,Now I'm teaching grandson  and so it goes.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

AdkGuidesForHire

« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2003, 07:36 PM »
old habits still get fined.

drop eggshells or even an apple core in NY waters. fine.

noticed guys filleting walleyes on the ice today. Fine.

and dropping the carcasses down the holes. Fine.

and when you get home and the wife says how was your day?

just fine!
;D

wormyy

« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2003, 10:04 AM »
here in ontario we use egg shells sago and barley this helps hold the fish around we tried it out the other day and had a nice bunch of perch for our dinner :'(

Nanook_ette

Re:Old Tricks Still Work
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2003, 09:35 PM »
Does this work for any kind of fish?  ???And does it make the fish think its food... attracting them to your bait?? :D It sounds like a good idea... someone give me some instructions so I can try it out  ;) :)

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2003, 05:09 PM »
Gonna try small pieces of raw chicken skin for bait this winter-a little tip from a friend of an unnamed oldtimer who posted this idea here awhile back.
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2003, 01:04 PM »
I've tried using the oatmeal and it does seem to attract blue gills.  The gills seem to be curious and peck at the flakes as they fall.  I drop a small white jig with a spike on it and they hit it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.