Author Topic: Can't find the big gills this year  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
Can't find the big gills this year
« on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Took a half day to go jig my favorite lake for big Bluegill.  Looking for a few over 10" like I got in years past.  Turned out to be a real tough bite with only two bluegill at 9" and 7". 

Fortunately, I also jigged up bass of 15" and 17" and a 14" fat Yellow Perch, probably the heaviest one I have ever caught.  I was giggling like a 5 year old when that perch came through the hole. 

The only other Perch I caught today was about 4".  It should have still had a yolk sac attached. :) Everything came from 13 to 17' of water on small jigs tipped with waxworms.  Real slow afternoon but nice to get a few quality fish. 

Here's a few pics of the bass and perch. 

Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
Re: Can't find the big gills this year
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:18 AM »
nice fish....i dont think there is a more elusive fish then the 10"+  gill, thats whats makes then fun to target. No 10's for me either this season, but i keep trying

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:13 PM »
I've only caught one legit 10'' gill this season, and he hit a rosie red minnow on a jigging spoon. Basically, I was looking for perch with that rig. Have only fished that lake once, and it is one of the few I know holds tens. Guess I'll have to get back up there. Very nice perch, BTW. :clap:

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:33 PM »
I hit my Bull gill spot today & w/out the Aqua-Vu (Need new battery) I couldn't  find the quality gills. I needs ta see 'em!  ;D

Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Having same problem.  My biggest gill is a legit 9 1/4" this year.  Won't even make leaderboard in tourney.  My gill lake is not freezing over like normal due to the snow.  Usually get some 10-12" out of it but can't cross right now, spud went thru 1st hit Friday.  Hoping for cold weather after this weekend so I can get after 'em.  Your perch is making me jealous, my biggest this year is 6". >:(

Offline bobbyfish64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's a big one! Get me a beer.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:35 PM »
Hmm.. its kinda weird how they run in cycles..I was in the same boat last year, but this year has been a good year, finding some dandy's
Selective harvest today..trophy tomorrow !!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.