Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Live Baits and Plastics

Minnow size

<< < (2/5) > >>

olds-Pa:
I trap my own creek shiners for bait. I prefer them to be 3 to 6 inches in length for walleye. If a perch hits it and gets hooked, it is usually a keeper.

mrlongbeard1:
  I like 1" to 2" minnows for perch & crappie. Bass shiners for every thing else. I think that bigger bait works better for pike and tigers but I haven't had any trouble with the smaller bait. Bottom line is its location, location and location. I don't see to many fish passing up an easy meal..

grumpymoe:
for walleyes in clearer water, i like to use a nice fat 3-4 inch chub and in murkier waters a nice 3-4" shiner works great-(adds a little flash). when fishing for perch, the smaller the better, unless you're stacked on top of jumbos  ;D

acsacmboy:
perch i always use fatheads(about 1.5-3 inches long) and emerald shinersabout 2 inches. ill get a better mesurement later. when we get iceee >:( >:( >:(

Flash_King:
It boils down to Match your bait to the species your targeting ,location where your fishing and the common bait present in your area.I always like to follow NoCashOOOO's advice and have at least one trap with a larger than normal bait.The old adage goes   BIG BAIT-BIG FISH

Good Luck - Good Fishing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version