Author Topic: Indiana transplant new to the Chicago area  (Read 7622 times)

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Indiana transplant new to the Chicago area
« on: Oct 31, 2007, 03:12 PM »
I moved up here a couple months ago, from Northeast Indiana, to get married and start a new job.  It is kind of depressing with the ice season coming around and I am clueless as to where good places are to fish.  It took years of finding new areas back in Indiana, and now it seems like I am starting all over again.  I was working 2nd shift hours at my last job so I was able to ice fish just about every morning, now working these "professional" hours it looks like my time on the ice will be minimized, driving times with this traffic, and not to mention getting ready to buy a house, which will involve projects I am sure.

I am currently living in Wheeling, we are looking to purchase a home in Arlington Heights, can anybody out there give some suggestions where I should try this winter when I am able to get out up this way, or actually anywhere in the area that is within an hour or so.  I mainly fish for the gills and crappie through the ice, however, I would love to catch some jumbo yellow perch, they are hard to come by back in Indiana.

I have a Vex, lazer hand auger, and the portable one man scout shelter, although I rarely use it since I am more of a hole hopper with my 5 gallon bucket.

Also do the IL members have any gatherings, back in Indiana all the regular posters would get together often and have derbies or just get together regularly with random new friends from the boards to get on the ice.

Any info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure what a typical day is like up this way fishing for panfish, but below is a little mosiac I made this spring when I was going through withdrawls after ice out of pictures from the past winter.

BOILER UP!!!
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline jimfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Set The HOOK!!
Re: Indiana transplant new to the Chicago area
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2007, 09:41 AM »
I would say your best bet is up on the Chain. I live in Des Plaines and make it from my house to being on the ice in 1 hour even(and I don't drive fast). Shabonna in Dekalb is also an hour to be on the ice. Lake County has several decent lakes for pan fish with the shot at some good size walleyes at the same time. Bangs lake, Deep lake. Close to your back door is Busse woods, Beck Lake & Axehead, these three are forest preserve lakes and are perfect for a couple of hours and bringingthe kids to. Hope this helps.

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2007, 09:25 PM »
All the lakes jim fish named are good if not great and not to far from you well maybe not Shabonna . Checkout Chicago land fishing .com or chi-town angler .com lots of good guys there.Im in Romeoville I fish local mostly and your welcome to come on down anytime.

Offline jimfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Set The HOOK!!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2007, 02:26 PM »
Hey Hardstuff, you'd be surprise how quick the ride to DeKalb is. The lake club at Shabanno has "Rockfest" every winter where they make some rock humps only those whose participate know where they are. That night is also the only night fishing all winter on Shabanna. Great night to spend the night up there.

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Thanks guys.

Maybe some day this winter we could possibly get together, and show this Boilermaker some of the potential of these Illinois lakes.

Bruce

Offline Hard stuff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2007, 10:17 PM »
Jim about 45 min from my door to lake.Rockfest is great well see ya there.

Shabaonna 07 pics

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2007, 12:59 PM »
I'm not too far away from all of you.  I'm an Indiana transplant myself.  Region Rat (NWI).  I try to fish around here when I can, mostly on the lakes listed before.  All we need is some good cold nights to get this started.  Send me a pm when we get some ice, & we'll head out.

Offline Bigye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2007, 07:44 PM »
Bruce, This is way off topic, but did you live at Benchmark II on South Grant Street while you went to Purdue.  I also went to Purdue and think we might have been neighbors.  Hope this doesn't sound to creepy.

Joel

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2007, 09:54 PM »
Bruce, This is way off topic, but did you live at Benchmark II on South Grant Street while you went to Purdue.  I also went to Purdue and think we might have been neighbors.  Hope this doesn't sound to creepy.

Joel

That was me.  Lived in Benchmark for two years, we were the guys who had the kegerator.  The name rings a bell but I can't put a face to it.  Where did you live within the building?

Offline Bigye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2007, 01:38 PM »
I lived one floor up in the back corner (South west)  I had a bunch of tattoos. I lived with the three guys that constantly smoked dope.  Had a lot of good times at Benchmark. 

I saw some posts that you made w/ pics on myfishfinder.com and thought you looked familiar.  Then I saw the post here that you had moved to the chicago area.  If you still are looking for some spots to fish, I can help you out with a few in Lake County that know of.  Let me know if you want to head out sometime.

Joel

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2007, 05:16 PM »
I had a bunch of tattoos.
Did they just wash off or something? ;D ;D ;D
If you are in our area, we need to plan a get together sometime.  Maybe Jan?  Let's get some ideas for bodys of water to hit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.