Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Northern Pike

Unable To Catch Pike? Why?

(1/3) > >>

iceintheveins:
I am unable to catch pike through the ice here in two Colorado lakes that supposedly have good pike populations. I have seldom seen others having much luck either.
A two pike day is great in these two lakes. I use tipups baited with all sorts of bait in all areas and all depths, and jigging lures as well.
The division of wildlife always tells me the fishing is good here in the lakes for pike, but they are dead set against pike and there is no bag limit anywhere for them. Our division of wildlife is horrible, corrupt, dictatorial, and lying jackasses. They b***h about them eating stocker, aka fake trout, and are afraid they will get into rivers and eat the endangered trashfish suckers and chubs.
Don't most of you guys catch a bunch of pike usually? I thought pike were supposed to be easy to catch and aggressive, but they seem extremely fickle and elusive in my two lakes, even though they are supposed to be abundant. Maybe the lakes I fish don't have many pike anymore? Tell me what the deal is, cause I use all tactics at all depths.

grumpymoe:
what depths are you fishing and what kind of structure are you locating. if indeed you have a good population, you should be able to nail them eventually. (if there are alot of larger fish, they will be wary of your presentation based on forage in the lake) ???

iceintheveins:
I fish all depths from 5 - 40 feet but mostly around 10 feet to 15 feet. I fish mostly in bays that harbor weed growth or on main lake bars and points. I really think it's just the division of wildlife has gotten rid of most of the pike in my two lakes. I am going to try a new lake this winter where I caught some during the open water period. It is a small, shallow weed choked lake and I am planning to fish with tip ups and also by jigging near the deeper area ( 13' ) of the lake by the droppoff off the weededge.
I really think I must just be fishing two lakes that once had lots of pike but don't anymore.

grumpymoe:
mackdaddy21---sure sounds like it. but i would try starting shallow first and then work your way out to deeper water :'(

kerosenecounty17:
Mack,

Sounds to me like you're doing everything right.  Next spring, right after ice off, take the boat out and have a look around the shallows.  If there are any pike in the lake, you'll see them moving around in the shallow weedy areas spawning.  If you don't see any then you'll know the DNR is full of it and there aren't any pike.

kerosene

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version