New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Fitting Eskimo Quick Fish back in bag  (Read 909 times)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fitting Eskimo Quick Fish back in bag
« on: Jan 20, 2024, 07:14 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

I just purchased the Eskimo Quick Fish 3 and checked out the set up and take down YouTube videos to see the correct way to do so. Wanting to anticipate any problems I may have on the ice on my first outing, I decided to set it up in my parlor.

Removing from the carry bag, no problem.
Set up, pretty much as advertised.
Breaking it back down, also per recommendations.
Now here comes the issue none of the videos cover, placing the Quick Fish back into the carrier bag.

Keep in mind, assisted by my wife Annie, in the warm confines of my parlor, it took us 40 minutes to tortuously fit the tent back into the bag. This can’t be normal. Further, can’t imagine accomplishing this feat with icy cold conditions, tired and freezing hands. Question: Is there some procedure or technique which would aid a more swift bagging of the tent?

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Fitting Eskimo Quick Fish back in bag
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2024, 08:02 AM »
Yo Jim same with my insulated clam..
I bought cinch straps to put around it and tighten it up..  They never make the bags big enough….
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2024, 08:27 AM »
Yo Dom,

My wife says, “ it must be similar to folding a travel map back up”. She may have a point.

Thinking of cutting the seam in the bag and adding a 2” material strip the length of the bag. Any other suggestions out there?
Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2024, 09:11 AM »
I just cinch mine up and put it in the sled and put it back in the bag at home, seems nearly impossible at the end of the day with 2 of us.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2024, 09:38 AM »
I just cinch mine up and put it in the sled and put it back in the bag at home, seems nearly impossible at the end of the day with 2 of us.

Add one of these to the arsenal EZPZ on ice ...deal with it on shore or at home .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-64-in-Bright-Orange-Gear-Tie-Mega-Twist-Tie-GTM64-31-R6/313478933
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's one!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2024, 09:54 AM »
Same as several guys said.  I take mine with it in the bag and take home without.  Cinch straps to compress might let you get into bag even after a day in the elements.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2024, 10:28 AM »
Add one of these to the arsenal EZPZ on ice ...deal with it on shore or at home .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nite-Ize-64-in-Bright-Orange-Gear-Tie-Mega-Twist-Tie-GTM64-31-R6/313478933

Funny, I looked at those, now have to get some, be a lot easier than cinch straps with cold hands or cumbersome gloves.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2024, 10:29 AM »
Same as several guys said.  I take mine with it in the bag and take home without.  Cinch straps to compress might let you get into bag even after a day in the elements.

Not that I've found, have tried them and it's still a pia to get it in, seems easier after it's warm and dry.

Offline zaphod4

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing,my drug of choice
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2024, 10:31 AM »
 Not sure if for some reason I a received a bigger bag.But mine fits well.I have another brand of thermal pop up and it was a pain in the butt to get it back in.You had to stuff it in and then zip it back up.But the Eskimo Quick fish3 I bought a couple years ago no problem at all.No zipper just work it up and clinch the top.I e done it many times on the ice.Takes a couple of minutes.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2024, 10:37 AM »
Not sure if for some reason I a received a bigger bag.But mine fits well.I have another brand of thermal pop up and it was a pain in the butt to get it back in.You had to stuff it in and then zip it back up.But the Eskimo Quick fish3 I bought a couple years ago no problem at all.No zipper just work it up and clinch the top.I e done it many times on the ice.Takes a couple of minutes.

I believe the bag actual size is the same for insulated and no insulated ..

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2024, 12:46 PM »
i  have a  small  hub  and  when i use it i  like  bringing it  home  take it out of the  bag  and  dry it  anyways 

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2024, 03:19 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,
Thank you one and all for the advise. I think I have a handle  on it now. I like the idea of using a chord to tie around it and a series of half hitches to compress it, get it home, dry it out (if wet) and use the chord and half hitches enough to compress it while slipping it into the bag.
Boggey

Offline Miles59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:29 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

I just purchased the Eskimo Quick Fish 3 and checked out the set up and take down YouTube videos to see the correct way to do so. Wanting to anticipate any problems I may have on the ice on my first outing, I decided to set it up in my parlor.

Removing from the carry bag, no problem.
Set up, pretty much as advertised.
Breaking it back down, also per recommendations.
Now here comes the issue none of the videos cover, placing the Quick Fish back into the carrier bag.

Keep in mind, assisted by my wife Annie, in the warm confines of my parlor, it took us 40 minutes to tortuously fit the tent back into the bag. This can’t be normal. Further, can’t imagine accomplishing this feat with icy cold conditions, tired and freezing hands. Question: Is there some procedure or technique which would aid a more swift bagging of the tent?

Boggey

Boggey - I have a Quickfish 3 as well.  The original bag was fairly easy to get back on, but much easier the next day in the garage after drying out the shanty. I also try to roll it up tight like the guy in the video.  I lost that original bag and ordered a replacement.  The replacement bag was much tighter and harder to repack.  Fast forward and I just bought the QuickFish 3i Limited.  That one came with a black bag that also has cinch straps on the outside of the bag.  The bag is huge!  It may be the wrong bag, but it's really easy to repack.  Not sure what's going on with the inconsistencies at eskimo.

Miles

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2024, 06:47 PM »

My son has one and its always near the fireplace the day or so after he fishes and never in the bag until it dries.
You are not alone!
He loves it, untill we fish tom in my frabill XL twin. He is gonna want to take that thing out :D
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2024, 06:20 AM »
When I had my first ice shanty it was a pop up that never fit in the bag it came with i went and bought an old army ruck sack problem solved..it's no different than how a camping tent never fits the way it did when you bought it
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2024, 07:07 AM »
I have a quick fish 3 and also struggled to get it back into the bag.

What works for me, is adding two more straps, and using those with the one that comes with it. I usually put one  about in the middle after breaking it down, then use the two additional straps where it feels the like it’s the “fattest”, and it slides into the bag pretty easily. I’ll link the exact ones I bought below.

https://www.menards.com/main/paint/adhesives-glue-tape/tape/mounting-tape/velcro-reg-brand-velstrap-reg-36-x-2-fastener-straps-2-pack/90440/p-1444445730365-c-13186.htm

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2024, 07:22 AM »
We just tried putting my buddies back in the bag this past weekend.  I can say that after doing it with him.... it really needs more straps to go around it to cinch down the "puffy" areas.  It's definitely a tight fit for sure.
Once we did that ...it went into the bag much easier.  Gotta wonder why they'd make it so tight? ???
If it is that cold out and you're struggling.  Heck...I'd just leave the shanty out of the bag and do it back in your garage, shed or whereever it might be warmer back home the following day.  Good luck.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline Hardwaterhappy53

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2024, 05:32 PM »
Hi! I couldn't get the strap that came with the shelter around it. I went to Home Depot and bought some velcro and made the strap longer. Also, I discovered that, once the strap is approx. secured around it, I could stand it up. I either ask a buddy to hold it standing up. If I am alone, I prop it up against my ate. Then, I place the bottom of the cover snugly over it. Then I lay it down on the ice and tuck the rest of the shelter into the cover, zip it up and off you go. Oh, yeah, if you have been out a while ( I usually go out for several days at a time) and snow or ice have built up on any part of the shelter, when it is standing, with the strap around it, pick it up and drop it about a foot, a few times, to loosen the snow or ice. With a little practice, you should be good.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.