Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing With Electronics

LX5 Reads too deep

(1/2) > >>

Baetis62:
I've had this one for about 8 years and its been a great unit but tonight I was playing around with it and noticed when I hung the ducer over the concrete floor it read 7-8 feet when the thing was about 2 feet above the slab.  Zoom wasn't on.  20' range and turning gain up and down didn't change anything. Thought it was strange so I checked connections, tried a different ducer and a fresh battery...same deal.  It's working fine otherwise.  Sound familiar to anybody?

HWeber:
I'm pretty sure that's normal, someone else can chime in and confirm or let me know I'm an idiot

DR.SPECKLER:
They wont read accurate depth out of water.none of my flashers/sonars do.

Baetis62:
Didn't think of that Doc...water is denser than air so it makes sense...Speaking of dense :P...

Nitz:
These sonar instruments do not directly measure depth, they time how long it takes the ping to return.  That time is then converted/displayed as a depth thru water for us (the user).  Sound travels faster thru water than it does thru air.

The speed of sound thru air is ~343 m/sec.  The speed of sound thru water is ~1480 m/sec.  The ratio should be ~.232 = (343/1480).  So to test the depth reading thru air --> Hold the transducer puck steady & level at an elevation of 25 inches over a hard surface, the unit should read a depth thru air of approximately 9 feet (b/c the unit is designed to read thru water).

I perform this test each year before I hit the ice - these specific test numbers (25 inches & 9 feet) are just easy to recall.  You could do the math to test other distances.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version