Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Gas Augers - Public Service Announcement

(1/4) > >>

butcher:
Hello All!

Last year I was having some trouble with an old 2 stroke Eskimo gas auger I inherited. It was difficult to start, stalled sometimes and when I was running it, it spewed so much smoke, I looked like a roadie using a fog machine to prepare the stage for the headliner band at a concert venue. I posted a few questions on this forum to see if anyone could help me get it running better. Enter Rebelss and Dr.Speckler. I can't remember who said what but here are the tips they recommended:

1. The owner's manual recommended a 28:1 fuel mix. Rebelss advised that Eskimo originally recommended that ratio but since updated it to 40:1 because of advancements in the fuel oil.

2. Avoid using fuel that contains ethanol. Most states now (require?) gas station gasoline to contain / be supplemented with 5-15% ethanol. It runs cleaner in large engines and reduces carbon emissions. Unfortunately, it also degrades much quicker. The ethanol in the gasoline will start to crystalize within 30-90 days which clogs up small engine carburetors. If you live in an area that sells plain, unleaded non-ethanol gas, use it. If not, you can buy pre-mixed or regular canned fuel from most hardware stores. It is more expensive (about $6/quart) but it lasts MUCH longer and won't clog up the carb on your small engines.

3. If you do use ethanol-mixed fuels, add some fuel stabilizer to the fuel before you put it in your small engines. This will help it last longer and keep the ethanol from crystalizing in your engine.

4. Add a shot of Seafoam fuel additive to the fuel a few times a season. It will help dissolve deposits in the carb and fuel system and keep it running well.

5. Seafoam is wonderful but it isn't a magical cure for an engine that won't start or run. If your small engine won't run, chances are it's because the carb is too blocked up with deposits. In this case, remove the carb, clean it out thoroughly with carb cleaner and then follow items 2-4 above regularly to keep it clean and running well.

I took my gas auger out for the first time this season recently. I used 40:1 canned fuel and a shot of Seafoam. Even though it's probably almost as old as me, it ran well the whole time, didn't stall and didn't emit even a puff of smoke. As I was cutting holes, I yelled THANKS REBELSS AND DR.SPECKLER!!!  Not sure if they heard me from Pennsylvania...

If anyone out there has had similar issues, pay attention to the list above and these two gentlemen. They know their stuff.

So grateful for members like them and this forum.

Tight lines and stay on top!

Butcher

DR.SPECKLER:
Thanks Iceshanty brother!keep up on the maintenance on the auger and it will last a very long time.my auger still runs great and going on 50 years old.

Rebelss:
Wow, thanks Butcher! Really glad we could help ya out, and that your auger runs like it should!  :thumbsup:
That's what it's all about...helpin' folks out and havin' some fun along the way. Take care of that feller, and you'll be handing him down to your kids to use.  :)

Kinkyline:
 ;D.  Good stuff...My model 30 Jiffy runs great, run non ethanol and good oil in the proper ratio. Thanks for the good info. gents!

butcher:
You guys ROCK!

Can’t thank you enough!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version