New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 131473 times)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #30 on: Jan 17, 2021, 12:13 PM »
Yo Nykonsdream

Hopefully snow will dump further inland. That happens a lot here. Today tug and inland areas are getting hit. We are still 35 degrees at the waters edge due to the open water. Anyway , I will hope for colder temps and less snow. PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) eh?

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2021, 07:04 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Light snow here on the Pond. Got down to 28 degrees overnight. Hopefully the one inch of snow will blow off and allow the ice to build back up. I won’t be out there cutting any holes today. Too treacherous. Maybe Jigger or The Kracken can go out with me tomorrow with proper safety gear to check the thickness. Stay tuned.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2021, 08:30 AM »
Went to green point this morning and they have shut it down because of broken shore ice. Checked the Wigwam and the ice at the ramp was breaking up as well, with a few dark spots showing through the snow off to the west and over the rockpile. Nobody out on the ice as of 8:15 am. About 1 inch of snow on the ground at the wigwam and by the looks of it not more than a dusting out on the ice. I didn't think I could get my shanty and gear over the broken ice by myself so I didn't bother going out to spud any holes... figured I wouldn't be able to get to my spot anyway so why bother!? Next weekend perhaps as long as the snow continues to blow over. Boggey will have to keep us posted on that!
Find the bite, Fish the bite, repeat

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2021, 09:46 AM »
Yo Birdslayer

Thanks for the report my friend. I think you chose wisely my friend, backing out on entry at the Wigwam . My last day, Saturday I witnessed a lot of those drain holes had opened to 2 foot diameter. Big enough to swallow this old geezer. Thin ice rebuild with a nice white 2 inches of fresh snow over it does not bode well for anyone.

My fishing bud “The Krackin” is going to join me tomorrow and we are going out together to cut some holes and make a report. Hang loose awhile longer or go north. Let’s cut a few holes together next week and swap a few yarns my friend.

Boggey

Post Script: I lost some weight this year and I know for a fact John has about 20 pounds over me now. Haven’t told him yet, but he is going out 20 feet ahead of me 😀😀😀

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2021, 10:35 AM »
That is what friends are for....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2021, 11:05 AM »
Be safe out there Boggey! Don't think any of us needs an Ice report bad enough to risk the loss of the BEST pond commentator/reporter we have! Some us try to put in our 2 cents but your stories and insight are irreplaceable!! We'll meet up on the hard water soon... I won't be alone this year my oldest is harassing me daily/hourly!! At only 3 years old he consistently out fished me this summer from the boat! Mostly because he kept me preoccupied with placing minnows on his hook while was running two poles (one in the water at all times dad!)... a sneaky but effective strategy to help eliminate the competition!!  ::) ;D

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 18, 2021, 02:36 PM »
Yo Nykonsdream

Hopefully snow will dump further inland. That happens a lot here. Today tug and inland areas are getting hit. We are still 35 degrees at the waters edge due to the open water. Anyway , I will hope for colder temps and less snow. PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) eh?

Boggey

I’ll point towards Mecca do some prayers and hope the fishing gods are on our sides for Saturday!!!! PMA PMA PMA PMA
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2021, 07:56 AM »
I’m thinking ( rare) that this weekend things should tighten up and then another week we should be golden
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2021, 10:33 AM »
Exactly what I was thinking John

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2021, 10:37 AM »
Bogey, it was nice to meet up Saturday, and yes, that was probably the smallest pike I have seen and yes, probably smaller than the 1 keeper perch I landed.  Had a good morning Saturday although slow.  Just nice to finally get out and with a good friend of mine who hasn't been out in years.  I have a feeling that even though all he landed were a few dinks that you will be seeing more of him in the future.  Thanks for the compliment on the sausage Bogey, but it's certainly not to par with Tommy's Brats.  Like Birdslayer said, no ones safety is worth a report that a little common sense should rule.  When in doubt, stay on shore.  We all appreciate you and reports from everyone else, but not at the expense of getting wet or worse.  Be safe everyone.  And if you are wondering. when there is no ice, there is plenty of snow a bit NE of us on the hill.  Jumped on the sleds Sunday and spent the day, what a great ride we had. Just to fill the time until the ice returns of course. ;)   Be safe!!
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 19, 2021, 12:10 PM »
Yo Stu,

Yup, I was glad to meet your old friend on the ice Saturday. I’m glad he enjoyed himself. Looking forward to seeing him next time out. If he is our new neighbor, you got to get him signed up for Iceshanty and get him an Iceshanty moniker.

Yup, TommyBoy is over in Kuwait now, but he still reads our threads. He isn’t getting back till March and hopes there is still some hard water to walk on when he gets back here. “Blasphemous” I should compare your sausage with TommyBoy’s beer brats. Sorry Tommy, I just got caught up in the heat of the moment. :nono: :nono:

Don’t worry, I won’t get out on that new ice without a partner. The dang snow is wet and heavy. About 5 inches that we could have done with out. Still we got some awesome low night time temps coming in from Wednesday night on. Think “COLD” my friend.

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 20, 2021, 12:48 PM »
Yo guys & Gals,

Remember my disclaimer? I don’t make recommendations. Just give you my observations.

1:00PM Wednesday
The access ramp at the Wigwam has a 2 foot drift across it. At the bottom of the ramp there appears to be a wet slushy surface. Step #1 , one inch of slush . Step #2 , w/ spud in hand , went through the ice (slush) to the top of my boot. In fact, about a half inch over the top of my boot. My new “Mucks “ that are only 13”s tall. Now I wished I had bought the 16” Mucks the same as my old Mucks, but know , I wanted to save 30 bucks by buying the 13inch ones.

Now I’m back at camp with my one 13” muck boot in front of the stove drying out on a stick upside down.

Now lets review these two obvious observations:
Observation #1: One should spud then step, not step then spud.

Observation#2 : A penny wise may sometimes be a penny foolish.

Over the vast expanse of the tundra we call the Pond, looking left, right and straight ahead there were no visible sightings of any human activity, just that one hole in the slush where some fool had chosen to get a wet foot. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :cookoo: :%$#!:

Boggey

Offline Birdslayer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Keep moving
« Reply #42 on: Jan 20, 2021, 01:09 PM »
Come on boggey!! I told you it was all broke up there on Monday!!! Thanks for the effort (and wet foot) though... this snow has crushed any chances for fishing the pond this weekend.... IMO! However, just in case you try it again in the near future I was considering dragging my stuff out about 20' to the right of the ramp as you are looking at the pond... this was Monday morning. I decided to keep my feet dry and head home BUT if I had someone with me AND I were going to try again that spot looked like the best option.... just saying! Be safe!!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 20, 2021, 02:05 PM »
Yo Birdslayer,

Glad you liked my little vignette. I too will be looking elsewhere for some ice time, up north. Not comfortable with Oneida yet either.  Oh well, if I go tomorrow or Friday I can stay away from the maddening crowd at LOTI. Maybe. ;D ;D ;D

Boggey

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 20, 2021, 05:34 PM »
Went up with 3 grand kids Monday. Stopped at Blind Creek Cove broken ice around edge no one on the ice. Open water is probably covered with snow now.
Went up to the house on Skinner Creek wide open water. Started a fire in the pit. Kids sacrificed minnows to the fish gods in the creek. Be carefull out there temps are supposed to get more favorable this weekend,

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 20, 2021, 05:34 PM »
Went up with 3 grand kids Monday. Stopped at Blind Creek Cove broken ice around edge no one on the ice. Open water is probably covered with snow now.
Went up to the house on Skinner Creek wide open water. Started a fire in the pit. Kids sacrificed minnows to the fish gods in the creek. Be carefull out there temps are supposed to get more favorable this weekend,

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Jan 20, 2021, 06:06 PM »
Love the report buddy maybe we can ask for donations so you can get some taller boots ;D

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 21, 2021, 07:37 AM »
Or shorter legs??? 🙄🙄🙄😀😀😀

Offline coast51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2021, 11:07 AM »
Enjoyed that report Bogey!

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:42 PM »
Good one John ;D

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 21, 2021, 05:56 PM »
Yo John

Thanks for the care package bud. I’m going to make venison Stroganoff with that. Sorry I wasn’t home when you brought bit over. I went up to Goose Bay and brought a few of them Jefferson county perch back home with me.

Boggey

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 21, 2021, 06:32 PM »
With the way the weather has been I might end up catching grubby perch and pickerel. Y’all know where I be
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline Angler Paul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 21, 2021, 08:18 PM »
Can anyone please tell me how the ice conditions are around Green Point? Also anyone catching pike?

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 22, 2021, 07:35 AM »
Your welcome Boggey.  ;D

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #54 on: Jan 22, 2021, 10:00 AM »
There were cold temps predicted for most of the week, did that show true?  Or because I see that Boggey was making the trip North should I assume the opposite?
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline Genebob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 22, 2021, 02:43 PM »
Nice posts Boggey.  Good to have some up to date information.  Presidents weekend may be a good time to hit the Pond.  Will be looking forward to your reports in the future!!

Offline Angler Paul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 22, 2021, 10:38 PM »
Thanks for the PM New Old Guy. I don't even know how to find messages on this site but I did receive an email.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Jan 23, 2021, 04:15 AM »
Yo guys & Gals,

I have a request from my friends here on the Pond. The new I phone I got isn’t functioning as well as my old Straight Talk phone. I am making this last entry while I still have some battery strength left (down to 13 %) and dropping. I need you to pick up the slack for me while I take this very expensive I phone to Verizon to see why it doesn’t charge.

While I got some battery left, I did head up north again, this time to St Lawrence county and brought home some perch from them. I too am looking for some reports this week end from my Pond ally’s.

I pray it is something simple and I will be back shortly. Till then , stay safe on and off the ice

Boggey

Offline TommyBoy1971

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Former usmc, former us army airborne, current DOD
« Reply #58 on: Jan 23, 2021, 05:44 AM »
Boggey,
Thanks for having my back on the beer brats, I was planning to make a somewhat large batch and bring with me when I come so I could distribute to my buddies, looks like you will get an extra portion....LOL
Anyway, hoping to be back home in March, Not sure exactly when, so I may miss the ice. My stepmother passed away while I have been deployed, so I am planning to go spend some time with my Dad, and little brother. Once I get done with that or if I can catch a long weekend before that, I'll get up there to see you. I was able to try some camel meat here. They sell it in the stores here. Beef, chicken, lamb, and even venison. no pork obviously.  The camel honestly if I didn't know or was blind folded I would have a hard time telling it wasn't beef. It was good. We usually take a day and stop at a local grocery store and pick up something to grill for a day. Fish, or meat. lots of olives, olive salad, and lots of cheeses. I've a little more freedom since I am just in Kuwait. so I have had some opportunities to get out in town and stuff. Hit the right time of year as well other than missing the holidays, the weather has been nice. went to a market that has been around since Jesus times, had some lamb heart kabobs and tea... place smelled like its been there that long that's for sure.. I would say the biggest blessing was being out of the country and missing the majority of the whole election debacle. I catch bits and pieces on facebook. And unless I run a VPN non stop, the internet is pretty well regulated by the country. Anyway I guess being over here in the desert I'm not really thinking about fishing that much, let alone ice fishing...Let me know when your phone is fixed. Ill give you a call closer to time for me to leave. everybody be safe out there, have fun, be kind and generous. it doesn't cost anything and it could mean the world to someone else.
tommyboy OUT!

Yo Stu,

Yup, I was glad to meet your old friend on the ice Saturday. I’m glad he enjoyed himself. Looking forward to seeing him next time out. If he is our new neighbor, you got to get him signed up for Iceshanty and get him an Iceshanty moniker.

Yup, TommyBoy is over in Kuwait now, but he still reads our threads. He isn’t getting back till March and hopes there is still some hard water to walk on when he gets back here. “Blasphemous” I should compare your sausage with TommyBoy’s beer brats. Sorry Tommy, I just got caught up in the heat of the moment. :nono: :nono:

Don’t worry, I won’t get out on that new ice without a partner. The dang snow is wet and heavy. About 5 inches that we could have done with out. Still we got some awesome low night time temps coming in from Wednesday night on. Think “COLD” my friend.

Boggey
You can get a good look at a steak by sticking your head up a bull's a$$, but wouldn't you rather take the butcher's word for it??

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 23, 2021, 05:57 AM »
TommyBoy1971, A big "THANK YOU" for your service. Seems as if you are making the best of you time in the desert. 15* here this morning. Boggey and I were going to get together  last Summer and fish Sacandaga for walleyes but Covid put a lid on that. I was looking forward to it.
Stay well and be safe....h2l
Northville, NY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.