Author Topic: Let me out!!!  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Let me out!!!
« on: Jan 19, 2020, 05:52 AM »
I've converted a medium sized cooler into a minnow bucket and was wondering...do I need a vent hole in the top to allow air to escape? Or is the hole for the aerator tube sufficient? It is pretty much air and water tight when lid is secured.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline WelderMike

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Let me out!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2020, 06:15 AM »
My Engle bait cooler is set up just like you described. No air hole just an aerator tube hole. So id think you're good to go.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2020, 06:17 AM »
Fill it up with water , turn it on and see what happens...    ???
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2020, 08:58 AM »
My Engle bait cooler is set up just like you described. No air hole just an aerator tube hole. So id think you're good to go.

Ok. Good to know. Thanks.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2020, 10:16 AM »
I've got an Engel and love the fact I can't spill anymore. As far as a vent here's another perspective. I'm a prolific fizzy water drinker so the kids bought me a soda stream for my birthday. I've noticed two things: First, it works better if the gas jet is just out of the water as opposed to submerged. Second the carbonating vessel is "sort of" sealed for the fizzing process.

I'll guess if the gas, in our case air, is passed through the liquid and the remaining space is somewhat under pressure more of the gas tends to dissolve into the water rather than escape into the "empty space" so a vent would be counter optimum aeration.

Just a guess... Plus if you're sealing to prevent spillage why leave a hole?
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2020, 11:45 AM »
I've got an Engel and love the fact I can't spill anymore. As far as a vent here's another perspective. I'm a prolific fizzy water drinker so the kids bought me a soda stream for my birthday. I've noticed two things: First, it works better if the gas jet is just out of the water as opposed to submerged. Second the carbonating vessel is "sort of" sealed for the fizzing process.

I'll guess if the gas, in our case air, is passed through the liquid and the remaining space is somewhat under pressure more of the gas tends to dissolve into the water rather than escape into the "empty space" so a vent would be counter optimum aeration.

Just a guess... Plus if you're sealing to prevent spillage why leave a hole?

I was "thinking" more about the release of  CO2...if there is any and is it relevant. Not concerned with any spillage. If an exhaust vent was needed...I would use a rubber stopper during transport.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2020, 12:31 PM »
The air line tubing for my Engel fits loose enough to act as a vent and it has a rubber stopper to prevent spills during transport. I also put an aquarium check valve between the pump and the air stone to prevent water from getting into the pump if I don't use the plug and transport it with the pump turned off or used intermittantly.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2020, 01:46 PM »
The air line tubing for my Engel fits loose enough to act as a vent and it has a rubber stopper to prevent spills during transport. I also put an aquarium check valve between the pump and the air stone to prevent water from getting into the pump if I don't use the plug and transport it with the pump turned off or used intermittantly.

I'm good then. I have the aerator mounted  high on outside of cooler so as long as it doesn't tip over, I shouldn't have to worry about water getting into pump.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2020, 01:54 PM »
I also put an aquarium check valve between the pump and the air stone to prevent water from getting into the pump if I don't use the plug and transport it with the pump turned off or used intermittantly.

Yes, this!  :thumbsup: :clap:
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.