The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Wisconsin regs  (Read 8866 times)

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Wisconsin regs
« on: Dec 23, 2005, 05:48 PM »
Hey guys, I heard you can use 3 lines ice fishing?  Is this true?  Also, what's your bag on craps?  The wife and I got into a nice mess, and hopefully we didn't keep over our limit.  We kept 23, and I thought your limit was 25 per person, but a buddy said it's only 10, like here in MN.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wisconsin regs
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2005, 08:06 PM »
First of all if you have a WI license you should have WI regs, that being said.  Yes three lines per person.  Panfish 25 in agregate unless otherwise posted.  See http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/fish/regulations/2005/documents/hook05.pdf

Chris
Cheese Head

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #2 on: Dec 25, 2005, 08:10 PM »
fish-

You can use 3 baits, not lines.  If you have one line with two seperate baits, say a small fly and a larger jig both tied on the same line, then you've used up two of your three baits.  On the other hand, a jigging rapala, with three seperate hooks and five seperate hook points is considered a single bait.  Basically, if it's unlikely that you might catch two fish at a time, it's considered a single bait.

Like cstopl said, you can keep 25 panfish per day with a 50 fish possesion limit per person.  That includes gills, crappies, and perch.  Once you get into pike, walley, and bass, you really need to watch closely because seasons, size limits, and daily limits vary greatly by area and lake.

kc17

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline mattym

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 25, 2005, 09:15 PM »
Keep in mind that if you go out with your buddy and you catch 26 and he catches 24 for a total of 50 thats in violation.

Tight lines. Take a kid hunting and fishing, and teach him about the great outdoors.

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2005, 05:37 PM »
  Ive been so some lakes where there wasnt a posted limit and i had check in the book.  Check in the reg. book it should say how much you can catch if its different than 25. 
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Tmcgee

« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2005, 10:04 PM »
KC17 is right but the best advice out there is to read that darn book they give you when you buy your license. Then you don't have to try and get away with "Well the guys/girls on iceshanty.com told me..."  :clap: :roflmao: :woot: ;)2

Tmcgee

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2005, 07:07 PM »
KC17 is right but the best advice out there is to read that darn book they give you when you buy your license. Then you don't have to try and get away with "Well the guys/girls on iceshanty.com told me..."  :clap: :roflmao: :woot: ;)2

Tmcgee
I'm gonna have to get one the next time I'm in the state, probably this weekend!  I'm pretty sure the warden wouldn't go for that excuse!   ::)

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2006, 08:45 AM »
I'm gonna have to get one the next time I'm in the state, probably this weekend!  I'm pretty sure the warden wouldn't go for that excuse!   ::)

Here's the web site.  With the price of gas now you have it at the comfort of your home and you can just print what you need ;D ;D  However still fell free to come over and spend some money ::)

http://dnr.wi.gov/org/water/fhp/fish/regulations/2004/index.shtml

Offline gutpile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2006, 01:42 PM »
Hey Guys/Gals,I'm coming out from New York in Feb. & was wondering if anyone knows if Wi. has something like a 3 day fishing license. Also the cost for a non-res. license. I,ll be staying in Whitewater and wondered if there's any hard water around to do some fishing while i'm there.Any info is greatly appreciated, Thanks

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2006, 01:52 PM »
I looked on the wisc. DNR site, and this is what it said

Non-Resident Fishing $ DNR Agents & Phone Buy Online Online Delivery
Fishing, Annual 50.00 
Fishing, Family Annual (primary)
(includes children 16 & 17 years of age) 65.00 
Fishing, Family Annual (secondary) 0.00   
Fishing, 4 day 24.00   
Fishing, 15 day 28.00   
Fishing, 15 day Family 40.00
Inland Trout Stamp 10.00 
Great Lake Salmon/Trout Stamp 10.00   
Great Lake Fishing, 2 day (includes Great Lake Salmon/Trout Stamp) 14.00   

Offline gutpile

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2006, 03:31 PM »
I looked on the wisc. DNR site, and this is what it said

Non-Resident Fishing $ DNR Agents & Phone Buy Online Online Delivery
Fishing, Annual 50.00 
Fishing, Family Annual (primary)
(includes children 16 & 17 years of age) 65.00 
Fishing, Family Annual (secondary) 0.00   
Fishing, 4 day 24.00   
Fishing, 15 day 28.00   
Fishing, 15 day Family 40.00
Inland Trout Stamp 10.00 
Great Lake Salmon/Trout Stamp 10.00   
Great Lake Fishing, 2 day (includes Great Lake Salmon/Trout Stamp) 14.00   

Thanks fishuhalik! How bout lakes around whitewater?

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2006, 09:15 AM »
No idea.  Just got a cabin in polk cnty and am still learning the area.  I'm sure someone on this site can help ya, though

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:21 PM »
the regs say no more than 3 hooks,lures, or bait. does that mean in any order, like can you have just 3 tip-ups, or 3 poles, or 2 tip-ups and 1 pole? etc...? just a little confused because here in NY we can have 7 lines but only 2 of them can be hand lines and open water you can only have 2 hand lines. are your regs for open water or ice fishing or period?, i plan on moving there in the summer and want to have a heads up on what i can and cannot do :tipup:

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2006, 12:24 PM »
the regs say no more than 3 hooks,lures, or bait. does that mean in any order, like can you have just 3 tip-ups, or 3 poles, or 2 tip-ups and 1 pole? etc...? just a little confused because here in NY we can have 7 lines but only 2 of them can be hand lines and open water you can only have 2 hand lines. are your regs for open water or ice fishing or period?, i plan on moving there in the summer and want to have a heads up on what i can and cannot do :tipup:
hardwater 3 lines of any combination but only 3 in total
softwater 2 lines.
Cheese Head

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2006, 03:09 PM »
thanks cstolp, ill probably have a few more questions before i fish there, your book is kinda foreign to me, heck i can barely understand the NY book.

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Oct 25, 2006, 02:18 AM »
cstolp, you're allowed 3.....hard or soft water.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2006, 11:28 PM »
csttolp, is right on the regulation's! Just remember the 3x3 RULE!  ???

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2006, 12:29 AM »
Yes he is right...mostly, he states that for softwater you're allowed 2...which is false, you're allowed 3 also, right?  ???
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2006, 07:42 AM »
Here's a pretty simple answer from the FAQ on WDNR web site.  Pretty good explaination.

How many poles/rods/lines/hooks/baits/lures are allowed when fishing Wisconsin waters?

The regulation governing this part of Wisconsin fishing is not written in terms of the number or poles/rods/lines. It reads, "No person may do any of the following ... fish with more than three (3) hooks, baits or lures."

Therefore, it is the number of objects capable of catching a single fish (e.g., a baited hook, a fly, a plug or a lure) which are of concern. You can use three (3) baits each with up to three (3) hooks as long as each is only capable of catching one (1) fish. Each bulleted example below represents a legal scenario:

1 pole with 2 baits and 1 pole with 1 bait, or
1 pole with 3 baits, or
3 poles with 1 bait each.

Hooks, baits and lures all count toward the total of three (3). As a result, the maximum number of poles/rods/lines is three (3) as long as you have only one (1) bait on each pole/rod/line. More than one bait per line will require you use fewer than three (3) poles/rods/lines. There is a "de facto" maximum on the number of lines that is determined by the number of baits used.

Multiple hooks on a single artifical lure do not count toward the total of three (3), only the lure itself. For example, an artificial minnow imitating lure with three (3) treble hooks, counts as one lure/bait/hook, not as three (3) hooks/baits/lures.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 26, 2006, 11:52 PM »
backatit! Your 100% right!  :)  :)  But, the law isn't 100%.  :(  :( My point is, why do pepole abuse a opportunity!  ???

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2006, 11:39 PM »
Here's a pretty simple answer from the FAQ on WDNR web site.  Pretty good explaination.

How many poles/rods/lines/hooks/baits/lures are allowed when fishing Wisconsin waters?

The regulation governing this part of Wisconsin fishing is not written in terms of the number or poles/rods/lines. It reads, "No person may do any of the following ... fish with more than three (3) hooks, baits or lures."

Therefore, it is the number of objects capable of catching a single fish (e.g., a baited hook, a fly, a plug or a lure) which are of concern. You can use three (3) baits each with up to three (3) hooks as long as each is only capable of catching one (1) fish. Each bulleted example below represents a legal scenario:

1 pole with 2 baits and 1 pole with 1 bait, or
1 pole with 3 baits, or
3 poles with 1 bait each.

Hooks, baits and lures all count toward the total of three (3). As a result, the maximum number of poles/rods/lines is three (3) as long as you have only one (1) bait on each pole/rod/line. More than one bait per line will require you use fewer than three (3) poles/rods/lines. There is a "de facto" maximum on the number of lines that is determined by the number of baits used.

Multiple hooks on a single artifical lure do not count toward the total of three (3), only the lure itself. For example, an artificial minnow imitating lure with three (3) treble hooks, counts as one lure/bait/hook, not as three (3) hooks/baits/lures.

that pretty much says it all................

now let's just have some ice!!!!!!!!
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 31, 2006, 10:39 PM »
So, one artificial bait, with three treble hooks, each of them tipped with, something, are nine different baits! Each one capable of catching a fish!

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2006, 01:35 AM »
Well, you better start taking some of those treble hooks off then.  :P
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 01, 2006, 08:57 AM »
So, one artificial bait, with three treble hooks, each of them tipped with, something, are nine different baits! Each one capable of catching a fish!

That would be a pretty congested lure :o  Just think, if you caught nine fish everytime you reeled 'er up you would be over your limit ;)

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 01, 2006, 09:36 PM »
BIG MAGAZINE!! Told me,too add a couple of beads and a spinner blade! Call it a lure, get away with it, for now! I, disagree 100%! But, they promoted it! Now the D.N.R. and us locals have to deal with it! Did I remember, too say a BIG MAGAZINE!! We've got a, can of worms, now!  :(  (Baits are stationary, lures have to be moved) ! We all know that! So lets throw in a wind tippup! Look, the lures moving.  ::) The laws have flaws, and it isn't really the D.N.R.'s fault.  :-\  :-\

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 02, 2006, 02:51 AM »
BIG MAGAZINE!! Told me,too add a couple of beads and a spinner blade! Call it a lure, get away with it, for now! I, disagree 100%! But, they promoted it! Now the D.N.R. and us locals have to deal with it! Did I remember, too say a BIG MAGAZINE!! We've got a, can of worms, now!  :(  (Baits are stationary, lures have to be moved) ! We all know that! So lets throw in a wind tippup! Look, the lures moving.  ::) The laws have flaws, and it isn't really the D.N.R.'s fault.  :-\  :-\
Is this BIG MAGAZINE published in Wisc or some other state where the regs may be different?  Personally, I carry my little fishing regulations handbook in all my tackle boxes, and another one kept in my shanty.  So if there's ever a question I can pull it out.  The little booklets are free and state everything you need to know.  Don't go by hearsay.  Everyone has their own interpretation of the law.   :tipup:
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline backatit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 02, 2006, 08:29 AM »

??? :blink: ??? :blink: :woot:

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 02, 2006, 10:09 PM »
Never did try, the suggestions of  article!  :-\  I, believe it to be questionable?  ???  Did, I say BIG MAGAZINE!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2006, 07:50 PM »
What's, the the legal length and number of hook's on one lure in WISCONSIN!  ???  ???

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2006, 09:40 PM »
i think 1 lure has maximum of 3 hooks allowed
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.