Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Augers

Clam Ice Auger/Cordless Drill Review

(1/146) > >>

POINTERGUY:
I wanted to give a review for anyone considering using a cordless drill with a ice auger. While researching this on the web it would appear it can be difficult to hold the drill and not end up with a broken or bruised hand/arm while drilling, do to the torque from the drill. Here is what I have put together.

I recently purchased a Clam Ice Auger Conversion kit (plate only) for $59.99 from Gander Mountain. I paired this with a 6" mora hand auger and a Dewalt 20 volt Lit cordless drill with 1.5 ah batteries and 300 watts of power for $99.99. I also tested with a 8" lazer and mora auger.
This set up with the dewalt drill was was able to drill 17 holes through 6" of ice with the 6" mora auger bit on one battery. When I tried to 8" lazer I barley got one hole drilled with a fresh battery and about killed the drill. While the results were fair, I was not sold on this yet.

On my second attempt to build a cordless drill auger with the Clam Ice Auger Conversion kit I paired it with a 18 volt Rigid lith hammer drill with 3.0 ah batteries and over 600 lbs of torque for $199.99. I tested this on Saginaw Bay over the past few days on 12" of ice and here are the results.

I first tried the 8" mora and was able to drill one hole but the drill was working to do so. I could of drilled a few more but didn't want to kill the drill.. I then remove the 8" auger and put on the 6" mora and a new battery. I was able to drill 39 holes with ease through 12" of ice on one battery. It drills the hole in a matter of seconds, with very little pressure applied. I was very happy with the results and this auger is now with me on every trip. Since I like to use 8" hole or bigger for walleye, I have been drilling two 6" holes side by side while on the bay and it has worked out great and I really see no need for a bigger auger bit. They sell an extension for $14.95 which I will be purchasing since it looks like this will be an epic year for ice conditions.

Here are a few more things I really like about this set up.

The total unit might weigh 12-13lbs
It chews threw the ice with ease
You pull the trigger and start drilling and its silent
Because of the Clam plate it is very easy to handle when drilling
I can drill 78 6" holes through 12 inches of ice on two batteries or a total of 936 inches of ice.

Here is a pic of my new Clam Ice Auger

For anyone looking to use a cordless drill with an auger, I highly recommend this setup. The key is to use a high torque drill on the lowest gear setting and 18 volt 3 ah lith batters or higher.

moneypit2:
same drill i have with a 7 inch lazer works awesome, great review!!!!!

Hollywood703:
My buddy picked up one this year with clams 6" auger. It cut thru the ice nicely with his Dewalt 20v drill. Combo was super light (13-14 lbs). We only drilled about 25 holes (6-7" ice) total but he had 2 batteries just in case. Im told if you remove the batteries and keep them warm it will last a lot longer than if you just leave it out in cold. As stated, it is a very compact setup, probably only 40" or so so get the extension.

With the comments about battery life however I am concerned about mid season and longevity.  I also wonder with a higher quality auger like a nils if results might improve. I know my mora was a Piece.
I hole hop and have punched over 150 Holes on 1 outing with my gas auger.

If you go to same spot and fish everytime this would work great, if you chase fish or have thick ice, I might be more skeptical.

Corey Bechtold:
Great review!  This setup is amazing!  I still have to get the adapter because the conversion kits sold out so fast that I was only able to get the Drill plate and I want to hook it up with my Kluge 6" bit.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

rgfixit:
I could drill all day with my 4" Fin Bore head ;D, just happen to have a few Rigid 18v LI drills and batteries around too. Nice part is, with Rigid's  lifetime warranty, if you kill a battery or drill, you get another one free of charge. You won't get that from the Auger Manufacturers.

May just have to look into that setup.

RG

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version