Author Topic: report from west central illinois henry county knox county  (Read 501 times)

Offline rtgal

• IceShanty Rookie
haven't been able to get out as much as id like but due to the holidays that has changed. ive been out about 6 times so far and usually only for an hour or two. gills are biting pretty good in the morning have had a few crappie at night on minnows. im going to fish like mad in the next couple of days im glad the weather is going to cooperate.  :clap: the last two times ive been out the ice has been loud cracking popping and  making all kinds of noise as im kind of a newbie at this (2 years) has anyone else experienced this? I fish strip mines and ice is a consistent 6 to 7 inches so far really hoping to get some thicker ice soon and I think mothernatures
 going to help just wondering if any one else is hearing the ice make noise and why it does this also anyone have any suggestions on crappie at night like I say im a newbie and just curious what tips or techniques are good for crappie im using minnows and fishing in all depths. thanks for any input to help a rookie :icefish:

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
Re: report from west central illinois henry county knox county
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:32 PM »
As for the ice popping that's usually making ice as the ice builds it expands and cracks that's probably the noise your hearing. When we fish for crappies it's usually from the ice down to seven foot. At night use a glow jig red or pink. You been on buffalo yet?

Offline fireman 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: report from west central illinois henry county knox county
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2013, 08:04 AM »
Hey tbird when we going to hook up and do some fishin I talked to your brother at mautinos on Christmas day

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.