Author Topic: On the ice  (Read 1412 times)

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
On the ice
« on: Dec 22, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Took a drive today to check ice. Drove to the Thomson Causway park there were 2 brave souls out there on the ice already! Saw  no one at Mickleson's. Mickleson's was iced over with a couple paper thin spots out around the bouy's. With this weather we should be making about 1" of ice each night. 

Offline muskiewrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
Re: On the ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2012, 01:55 PM »
Yikes, that's risky. Ice is starting to form in my area, but from the way it looks, I'm going to give it a couple more weeks... hopefully.  ::)

Be who you are and don't listen to others that say you shouldn't. That's how life should be lived as.

Offline jepik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2012, 02:25 PM »
riverbottoms.. wife and I took a ride over there about a wk ago..I could not belive it but it was capped over then..albeit not very thick and not much water..I would have thought the rain would have took it out..check a small pond this morning.. 1 in. :tipup:

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2012, 02:40 PM »
Lake Carlton - 12-22-2012

Ice From Shore

Ice Holes at Dock

Early Ice
jbird68

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2012, 04:26 PM »
Jepik, I forgot to mention in my post that the storm we had with its 40-50 mph winds out of the NW really whipped up the shallows, dirtied up the water and the ice chunks that were blown towards shore piled and refroze. Also most of that shore blown ice was very dirty.
Those 2 guys that were fishing the Thomson campgrounds couldn't have been on much more than 2-21/2"   

JBird, as low as the miss. is this year, I plan on spending more time finding and catching a few of those Carlton Saugeyes this year.
Keep us informed on Carltons ice conditions.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2012, 06:14 PM »
I'm hoping the ice might be ready by next weekend. I've been sick all of this week so I'm glad the ice isn't ready yet. I'd be twice as bummed to not be able to go out on safe ice. Still not feeling great today.
jbird68

Offline Oneicehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2012, 10:08 PM »
Your lake carlton is getting a visitor Sunday the 30th unless argyle is good!!  If anyone is interested in meeting up let me know.
JKL "just keep livin"

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2012, 07:23 AM »
If it's solid, I won't be out there until after church. Priorities, priorities.
jbird68

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:35 AM »
Daily walk with the dogs found channels and lakes covered (Chain of Lakes). I'm sure it's not nearly thick enough for safe travel but hopes are high that it won't be long!

Hope you all have a Merry and safe Christmas!

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2012, 04:01 PM »
180 Pro, Thinking by the week end we'll be on the ice. At least the back channels.
 Have a Happy and Merry Christmas everyone!!

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2012, 10:54 PM »
I was on 1.5" of good black stuff today managed about 30 fish no size biggest was about 5.5" and there were plenty of dinks. I was on a shallow pond and the waster was murky as heck. I think that the wind the other night churned it up bad before it froze. I couldn't see a jig at 6" so I'm sure thats why it was so slow.

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:31 AM »
Tbirdbassr, you are an adventurous soul, or light as a feather! I'll wait for the numbers to build up before I venture out there!

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline Coss13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2012, 09:03 AM »
Dang Tbird, I would not go on anything less then 3" ,  there are no NO fish worth falling in over .  STAY SAFE and Dry !!!! Merry Christmas !!!!!!!
It's all about how you wiggle your worm in the ice hole

Offline tbirdbassr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • illinois
« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2012, 10:32 AM »
I was the 4th person out there no one close to each other. I would have not gotten my hips wet if i went through only about 2' deep was only 15' from shore.

Offline Coss13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2012, 07:53 PM »
right on,  well still stay safe
It's all about how you wiggle your worm in the ice hole

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Any updates on ice thickness? Thinking of heading that way this weekend.
Thanks
Matt

Offline bluegill63

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2012, 12:29 PM »
I just went out here at work and drilled a hole on the pond. The ice was over 3 inches thick. Work is located in Peru Il.

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2012, 04:07 PM »
A bit of a report, woke up this morning sicker than a dog! It always happens when I'm around the thousands of children in the family (Christmas). Anyway, Pistakee had 5 or 6 guys on the ice at the South end and 1 guy along the West shoreline near the flagpoles. Obviously I did not go out and measure the ice, but at least there was some activity. Forget about Long Lake for awhile, she has quite a bit of open water.

That's it for now.

Good luck.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.