Author Topic: Another sad reminder about ice safety  (Read 746 times)

Offline harpenter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Another sad reminder about ice safety
« on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:46 AM »
Hate to see something like this happen so close to home.  I talked to a few buddies that checked the ice around the Quad Cities yesterday and while they had a good 4" in some spots, they said other spots were around 1 1/2" & weak.  Be very careful this time of year.  Take a spud bar, take some ice picks, check the ice often.

http://www.galesburg.com/news/x3499557/Body-pulled-from-lake-off-of-Knox-County-Highway-15

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Another sad reminder about ice safety
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:28 AM »
That really hits home for me, I'm 50 and I couldn't imagine risking my life and one of my sons lives over a fish. The sad reality about all this is it's probably going to happen again, because of people being so impatient that their going to risk it. If any of you risk it at least wear some sort of PFD. Be smart and stay alive.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:17 PM »
Less than 1" of ice.  I do not know what people where thinking.  It got warm and the ice was melting under me sun.  I was on about 3ft of water so I was not worried.  I heard others say they were on 1.75" over 18ft.  Thats just nuts in my book. :cookoo:
<br />

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Between the US and Canadian members here on the shanty, we have over a dozen reported drownings, entirely way too many for no good reason ! Don't get me wrong, I do feel sympathy for All the families that have lost someone to bad ice this year ! What I can't fathom are the guys showing up here on different boards and posting stories of how they fall thru the ice every year, sometimes repeatedly ???

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:41 PM »
 I have only been ice now for three years,but I NEVER go alone. I always have a boat cushion with a rope tied to it just in case.  PFD and rope in one. My prays go to to this family especially the son who found his father missing.
 Matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.