Author Topic: are we ever going to get 4"?  (Read 830 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
are we ever going to get 4"?
« on: Jan 09, 2012, 08:39 PM »
 I live in the Quad Cities and every time the ice starts to grow the weather turns to 50 and bye bye ice! :'( The forecast is calling for cold temps starting thursday but then three days later we are warming up again. Is ice fish lost for the year? What do you guys think?
  Matt

Offline DanielBones

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: are we ever going to get 4"?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2012, 08:38 AM »
Gave up and took the trip up to norhtwoods. Rhinelander WI has 16 inches and there were still only locals on the ice. Some small perch and two decent Northern in one day!!
 You can probably find about 6 in of ice about 2hrs north of the illinois border though.  Good Luck!

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2012, 10:51 AM »
Backwaters will be good to go, don't know about the big lakes. The lakes on the chain (around here, Fox Lake) can be a bit spooky in areas that may have springs in them. As always, remember your safety equipment if you're going to challenge deep water.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2012, 11:10 AM »
if we can keep some of the water capped in the qc, i think the smaller bodies will get to 6-7"  but who knows. the forecast changes almost daily.

Offline Coss13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2012, 03:57 PM »
This weekend and week after look good for making ice for northern IL but I dont know how far down that cold temps will go.  Like 180 said " safely equipment is a must" and never go out along on questionable ice.  Stay Safe and dry 
It's all about how you wiggle your worm in the ice hole

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2012, 09:03 PM »
Went to a lake I fish here in the Quad Cities and it still had 1 1/2" of ice on it. I was surprised it still had ice on it. I just hope the cold weather thats coming tonight and the next week make it fish able the weekend of the 20th. I just need two or three weekends. 
pray for ice!
 Matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.