Author Topic: Bait Stores  (Read 1488 times)

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bait Stores
« on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:56 PM »
Wanted to thank Eyestroker for letting me/us know about Koehl's Bait and Tackle in McHenry IL. Very hard to find if you don't know what you're looking for, but well worth the effort. Dave the owner is a great guy, I bought all of his remaining Tapiolas and A couple of Hali chain jigs, I was amazed at his inventory, he has everything form A to Z and is confident that he can get anything in a matter of time that you may need.

Anyway, well worth the trip and i will be back for more!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline Coss13

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bait Stores
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:04 PM »
I do agree with you , He runs a great place.
It's all about how you wiggle your worm in the ice hole

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:24 PM »
Glad to hear 180P .  I'm sure dave appreciates the extra business too.  Isn't it amazing how much stuff he has managed to stock.  It's not the most organized place.  But he does know where his stuff is.  You just have to ask.  He had some girls working in there part time for awhile and they were making sure everything was catologued and in order.  Unfortunately he had to let em go.  Glad you finally got some of the elusive Tapiola's  lol
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:12 AM »
I guess the next time the ol lady and I go to her parents house(woodstock),Gonna have to check this place out..

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:46 AM »
When I located the sign and pulled in the driveway my first thought was, who's been pulling my leg? But the old adage of never judge a book by its cover has never been put to a better place. After asking someone that was leaving if this was the bait store, I went in and was amazed. I had my two girls (dogs) with me so I didn't want to leave them in the truck too long, HA, just looking around and then trying to escape conversation with Dave, well let's just say the girls were OK when I got back to the truck. I will be back after doing some more research on the internet. He has Bentley tungsten there as well if anyone is interested.

Thanks again.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline Coss13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:05 AM »
I guess the next time the ol lady and I go to her parents house(woodstock),Gonna have to check this place out..

I live just north on 47  at the IL / WI border
It's all about how you wiggle your worm in the ice hole

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:17 AM »
When I located the sign and pulled in the driveway my first thought was, who's been pulling my leg? But the old adage of never judge a book by its cover has never been put to a better place. After asking someone that was leaving if this was the bait store, I went in and was amazed. I had my two girls (dogs) with me so I didn't want to leave them in the truck too long, HA, just looking around and then trying to escape conversation with Dave, well let's just say the girls were OK when I got back to the truck. I will be back after doing some more research on the internet. He has Bentley tungsten there as well if anyone is interested.

Thanks again.

Yeah I didn't want to scare you by saying go to the dumpy green house by the shell.  Because like you said it is one place you don't want to miss because of preconceived notions.  Almost all bait shops up this way used to be a lil scary when I was a kid.  And he will talk  so if your planning on getting some bait and trying to get on the water fast just let em know....
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:14 PM »
I always try to keep an open mind.....

I don't think you guys were around at the time but there was a bait shop in Volo years back. I remember going there as a kid with my dad, as you walked in the store they had one or two Minor Birds, that would welcome you in the store by saying "call the waiter, call the waiter".....Ah, the things that we remember from our childhoods..:)

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:57 PM »
I think daves sports store  is still going strong   in downtown Crystal lake
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2012, 01:24 PM »
that bait store in volo - was it behind / across from car museum ?  if so i would stop there  before hitting the "T" channel.   sorry to hear its gone - - - -

Offline 180 Pro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:09 PM »
That's the place...there used to be one before that on route 12 as well...I think it was called Chandlers...also, long gone..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.