Author Topic: pike on ice  (Read 1799 times)

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
pike on ice
« on: Dec 27, 2009, 09:31 AM »
just wondering how many of you guys like flag fishing for pike? i was thinking about trying to get a outing together for the end of January or first part of February i have a good pike lake in south central Wisconsin and buy then you should be able to drive your trucks out it usually has 18 inches of ice and you can get to the good weed beds easily.the pike fishing is really good we average 12-18 flags in 6 hours of fishing for 2 guys and most pike average 26-30 inches and are fat they are perfect eater size our largest we have landed was 41 and a lot of 34-36
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: pike on ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:58 AM »
That sounds great toadhunter2. I love to chase flags for northern or what ever trips them. I almost prefer to tip-up fishing over jigging for pannies.
I used to live in northern Wis till this year its great up there you can drive on the lakes and use 3 lines.Let me know when you decided to go.

Offline Kingfish6221

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Sounds good, I'm off work until the 25th of Jan. and will be spending on lot of time in that area. Just post a date and we'll definitely be there.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:27 AM »
i am going up maybe this weekend i know when i was up last wensday main lake was up to 6 inches so i am hopeing to find 8 or 10 inches when i go up as soon as it hits 14 my truck will be on. the last time up my youngest son and i fished 3 hours had 7 flags and landed 4 fish
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline Hardwaterhunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2009, 04:30 PM »
Located near what town ?

Bob

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:44 AM »
it is up just south of Madison i live 16 miles south of the cheese curtain and it takes me about a hour and 15 minutes to get there one of my buddies lives in mchenry and it take him about a hour and half

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:01 AM »
well went out yesterday for about 4 hours had 9 flags landed 8  fish 7 pike and 1 bass brought home 2 pike 1 at29 and 1 at 32 ice was about8-9 inches so buy next week it will be safe for me to drive out. there were a few people driving trucks but not thick enough for my pig crew cab diesel yet but will be soon that walk is killing me with all the snow

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2010, 12:55 PM »
That sounds great I let us know when you wanna get together.

Offline Kingfish6221

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010, 02:30 PM »
I'll be in Cambridge this week end and possibly Monday. If you plan on going to your lake let me know and we'll swap numbers and hook up for a day of FLAG UP!

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2010, 11:27 PM »
hey kingfish i don't think i will be going out this weekend unless i fill my last deer tag tomorrow the last cwd season starts Fri and runs threw sunday in Boone county. i have got 2 all ready and am hoping to get one more then i wont have to pay the grocery guy for meat the rest of the year until next deer season with 2 growing boys they like lots of fish and deer to eat and Monday i have a meeting with the tooth doctore but that sucks cambridge is only about 15 miles from there

Offline Kingfish6221

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Hey I hope you get your deer. I still want to get in on some of that pike action you're doing. I am off work next week so if you want to head up one day let me know, I'll meet you and just spend the night in Cambridge. I have plenty of boards, what are you using for terminal tackle, leaders and trebles? Let me know a day or two ahead of time and I'll meet you up there.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:52 PM »
well got another deer that is 3 for the year so i sat and relaxed today had one take Left but just felt like being lazy. ya i hope to get out this week some buddies of mine went up this weekend they said it was slow and there were a lot of people out on the lake they had 17 pike for the day all were cookie cutter at 25 inches they did have 2 they lost at the hole that looked like they would have been mid 30's. we rig our flags with a barrel swivel then 3-4 foot leader of 65lb power pro with a sinker and a #4 or#6 trouble depending on the bait we use. we usually use jumbo roaches and i mean jumbo 6 inch plus and 8-12 inch suckers and chubs

Offline Kingfish6221

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:36 AM »
Toad, congrats on the deer. Didn't get up to Cambridge as the reports were slow, slow slow and my partner ended up having to work Saturday. I am off work for 1 more week and will be hitting the ice hard. Planning on making Cambridge later this week so if you're headed north shoot me a pm and we can exchange phone numbers. I'm always looking for new fishing partners, all but 1 of mine cronies are getting old and soft (ice fishin is too cold and too much work  :'( ) Let me know if we can hit your spot soon.

Steve

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2010, 03:44 PM »
just got home from the tooth yanker so i am thinking maybe Thursday going up there i may be fishing a Private community pond tomorrow or wendsday and if that falls threw i may hit delevan so it looks like Thursday i will let you know

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2010, 02:56 PM »
hey send me a message with your # depending on what this weather does tonight may be going up tommorrow or Friday maybe even sat

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2010, 10:31 AM »
well fished for pike Friday slowest day in years had 9 boards out for most of the day ended with 11 flags and 9 fish all were 22 inch hammer handles except for one 30 inch landed at dark was a real slow day except the 5 flag flurry with 4 fish landed from 4:45-5:15 salved the day but i did have the pleasure of meeting  king fish in the afternoon well Steve sorry it was such a slow day i hope the rest of your weekends fishing was better

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:39 PM »
If you are still intersted in have a few of use up I would love to make the trip. Just post a date or pm me I'm not working now and always looking for flag action. :tipup:

Offline Kingfish6221

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Hey Shane was good to meet you guys also. Saturday I got on the ice at 6:30am and 5 guys had 15 boards surrounding the entire point I wanted to fish. Jigged the flat and set 2 boards for 2 hours, no flags anywhere and only 4 keeper perch so I moved to another spot. Met a local while i was looking for a drop off and we set up 4 boards and then jigged for eyes. No flags but I got 2 short and 1 17" eye on spoons. Ice was slick by 5:30 and rain all night so I headed home early Sunday. Going back up next weekend, give me a call if you're around Sat or Sunday.

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2010, 08:02 PM »
 Steve i will see what is up i think i will be fishing wonder lake this week there derby is sunday and 2 of my buddies a running it so going to go look for some fish to see what we can do

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.