Author Topic: Modify ice lures?  (Read 1631 times)

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
Modify ice lures?
« on: Jan 30, 2024, 11:07 AM »
After seeing a few youtube clips and reading a couple articles I'm beginning to go down the path (and potentially deep hole :)).  of modifying a few ice lures.  Adding some VMC bladed hybrid trebles, clam feathered trebles, VMC glow resin trebles, and putting on a few northland minnow head hooks with gulp minnow heads threaded on from above.  Did up a few in buckshot flutter spoons, swedish pimple, buckshot spoon, frostee spoon, and a couple rippin raps.  Interested to try them this weekend.  The blade at the bottom of the pinhead minnow has great action and got me thinking a bit about this project.  We'll see...

Offline cwavs1982

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Modify ice lures?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2024, 11:25 AM »
May have seen some of those same videos!  I have tried the hybird bladed treble, the feathered trebles with decent luck!  Adding the glow resin trebles this time around to try out this weekend.  Also tried that new rig - Roach rattling spoon (has the maribu feathers) last outing and did really good with the walleye! 
I do hunt, and I do fish, and I don't apologize to anybody for hunting and fishing - Norman Schwarzkopf

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2024, 11:30 AM »
Following... since I try my own versions.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2024, 04:17 PM »
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline PyroZuki

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dip-Dip-Jerk
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2024, 05:05 PM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=152687.0

Been secretly doing it for a while... ;)

I've been a fan of slipperybob's "fairy wing" setup since I stole his idea in 2010. They've worked very well for me. It was a great "mod"!

Thanks again, slipperybob!

:tipup:
Pyro
I live in MT, so when I ain't huntin, I'm fishin!
Boy the way Glenn Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2024, 08:01 PM »
Very cool SlipperyB and PyroZ.  As I said...going down a path that could get addictive (and expensive...those VMC treble hybrid blade hooks are $3 each!). 

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2024, 03:00 AM »
Tricking fish to bite something with hooks attached to it is way fun.  ;)

In the end most rigs becomes nothing more than a weight, a hook, and some bait.  I also like to jig in a bucket or in the fish tank to see how the rig works.  Helps to let me know how little motions gets the lure to quiver, bobble, dart, flutter, sink, etc.,...  Also to figure which rod imparts the best action on the rig.  Or even sometimes just how the lure free falls and flutters or wobble will give me ideas or clues if a fish will bite it.   

In the end, this is what all trial lures must beat.

The simple weight plus spinner blade rig.  Although the weight is from Hildebrandt's Thingamabob rig.

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2024, 11:49 PM »
Check out flyshack.com for the Saber resin trebles. Vexan also has some epoxy trebles avaliable for a decent price. I think one of the sponsers named Shark has some available as well on EBAY.
Mudhole is a great place to get small Colorado blades or other styles of blades as well as glow, prism, or other types of tapes you can add to your spoons. I've also added some of those soft rubber glow beads over the eye onto the hook shank on some trebles as well, I think Mudhole or Cabelas might have those.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #8 on: Feb 29, 2024, 04:43 PM »
Following up with a the mods from this winter using great ideas from this group and others.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2024, 01:38 AM »
nice, hopefully you get some good success with them.

Offline anglingice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2024, 05:04 PM »
Sounds like you're all set for a great weekend on the ice; those mods could really turn the bite in your favor, especially the pinhead minnow tweak!

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #11 on: Mar 19, 2024, 07:32 PM »
Perch eye lure mods…

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2024, 05:09 AM »
Love those eyes did you craft them from epoxy or a ready made product

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #13 on: Mar 20, 2024, 09:44 AM »
Eyes came from Thundermist Lure Company.  Paid for them, my own opinion, fyi.  If they work and I order again I'd get the smallest size (1/4) mainly and a couple medium (5/16). 

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 22, 2024, 11:10 AM »
Eyes came from Thundermist Lure Company.  Paid for them, my own opinion, fyi.  If they work and I order again I'd get the smallest size (1/4) mainly and a couple medium (5/16). 
What about the minnow heads, where did you get those? I know Northland tackle used to sell them but they
have been discontinued for a few years now.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2024, 02:22 PM »
I bought the Impulse minnow heads through ebay.  The small white and black ones with some dangling plastic are through Clam.  If you find something like the Impulse let us know, please. 

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2024, 03:25 PM »
I bought the Impulse minnow heads through ebay.  The small white and black ones with some dangling plastic are through Clam.  If you find something like the Impulse let us know, please.
Thanks, I will check ebay for the Impulse minnow heads, and I will let you know if I stumble across anything like them.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2024, 05:15 PM »
Just type that in.....Many results on Ebay!!!
OS
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline mushroom_capd_1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 22, 2024, 08:37 PM »
I have enough for awhile. Northland had a sale on these when they discontinued them and a bought a bunch of these. I was hoping somebody else was producing something similar these just in case I ever exhaust my supply. I also checked Ebay and the only thing that popped up was a 9pk. of the black/red impulse minnow heads @ $19.88 + $7.50 shipping. I'll pass on that "deal"!  ;D

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2024, 10:19 AM »
I sent some of these mod examples to pro staffer's for Clam/Northland/Acme and other folks in the business asking them to consider sharing the idea of "rubber" minnow heads in two sizes (about the size of the impulse and another about 1/2 that size).  With how "fast" people are fishing and searching for active fish it just doesn't seem like there is anything on the market now that is spot on.  I doubt it will do much but worth a try.  I would imagine Northland didn't discontinue the product because it was flying off the shelf and making them money hand over fist :)

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 25, 2024, 08:04 AM »
on those spoons add a 2nd or 3rd split ring between the hook at body

Catchin' Fish

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #21 on: Mar 25, 2024, 09:50 AM »
There is an additional split ring on each of them.  I am considering moving the "plastic" up the hook shank towards the split ring if hook ups are impeded. 
"

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 25, 2024, 01:42 PM »
i'd put another, let that bait swing

Catchin' Fish

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2024, 10:11 PM »
Tricking fish to bite something with hooks attached to it is way fun.  ;)

In the end most rigs becomes nothing more than a weight, a hook, and some bait.  I also like to jig in a bucket or in the fish tank to see how the rig works.  Helps to let me know how little motions gets the lure to quiver, bobble, dart, flutter, sink, etc.,...  Also to figure which rod imparts the best action on the rig.  Or even sometimes just how the lure free falls and flutters or wobble will give me ideas or clues if a fish will bite it.   

In the end, this is what all trial lures must beat.

(Image removed from quote.)

The simple weight plus spinner blade rig.  Although the weight is from Hildebrandt's Thingamabob rig.

When someone sees a commercial bait and goes "hmmm, why did I not think of that. Well you know what someone did, be it Rapala, Eagle Claw or just a guy/gal thinking what can I do that is different.

I like to airbrush paint, alter, powder coat, tie flies, build musky bait and dream........ what else is life for
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline CoachWalleye74

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SD
« Reply #24 on: Apr 01, 2024, 02:39 PM »
Few more perch eye mods. Roadside Minnow perch eyes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.