Author Topic: Ice Gear?  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Bigman

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Gear?
« on: Nov 29, 2005, 03:48 PM »
what kind of gear do i need to get started ice fishing?

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Gear?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2005, 03:53 PM »
Not to much stuff.  When I first started I would just have a pole, skimmer, and bucket.  I would go to waters that had been fished that day and just chip though iced over holes.  I didn't get a auger till i could afford one.  Keep it simple is my idea of fun.  Oh and don't worry you will gain a lot of stuff for ice fishing, a person just cant resist getting more stuff over the years.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

bigdave1018

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2005, 11:40 AM »
find someone near you or a member from here and go with them ist to see if you like ice fishing b4 you go and invest into it. just my 2 cents. a new auger alone will set you back anywhere from $40- up to 500$ for a new power one :-\. then add in the clothes, boots,tackle etc and it adds up real quick.tight lines and good luck either way, big dave out.

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2005, 12:55 PM »
Hey Bigman,

Ice fishing is one of those sports where you can spend as much or as little as you want and have a great time either way.  In terms of getting started you won't need much. 

1) A 5 gal. bucket to carry all your stuff - if you don't have one they are $3-$4 at Home Cheapo
2) A couple of rods and reals - can cost as little as $5 for a jig stick or over a $100 for a throne bros. rod and quality real.  There is literally a setup for every price range.
3) An assortment of jigs, weights, hooks
4) A hand auger - I would recommend the best one you can offered as getting through the ice quickly and easily more then makes up for the difference in price.  I recommend the strikemaster lazer in whatever size you want. They run about $65. 
5) A dipper
6) Some live bait - Worms, minnows etc.

That will defiantly get you fishing and hopefully catching.

Offline Bigman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2005, 02:08 PM »
thank you for all the advice. i have made a list of things i all ready have or getting for Christmas
1) pole
2) SOME JIGS
3) 5gal. bucket
4)and cloths

One question should i get a lid for my bucket?

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2005, 02:49 PM »
The rods will be taller than the bucket so a lid really wouldn't work.  Generally, I take my gear out and flip the bucket over for a seat.  In terms of clothes make sure you bring an extra pair of gloves in case one gets wet.  Nothing can ruin a good day of fishing like cold hands.

Offline Bigman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2005, 06:56 PM »
OK ill remember that thanks for the advice

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2005, 09:43 AM »
You may want to pick up a pack or two of the disposable hand/feet warmers.  It you get cold you can throw them in your gloves or boots.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline MSUICEMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2005, 02:16 PM »
they have those lid/seats that are cutout on one side and you can slip the rods through there to close em up.... keeps stuff from spilling all over the place and you don't need to empty the bucket out to sit.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2005, 08:48 AM »
they have those lid/seats that are cutout on one side and you can slip the rods through there to close em up.... keeps stuff from spilling all over the place and you don't need to empty the bucket out to sit.

WARNING!  If you are over 250 lbs, you do bot want to use one of those!  Ask Walleye1 what happens.  I was sitting on one and it popped off like a cork and the bucket flew out from under me, and I went ass over tea kettle.  I thought he was going to choke, he was laughing so hard.
Follow the bubbles...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.