Author Topic: Other Lake Maps (Bathymetric)?  (Read 2585 times)

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
Other Lake Maps (Bathymetric)?
« on: Dec 07, 2006, 12:24 PM »
Howdy all! 

Hope everyone is having a great thursday thinking about hitting the ice this weekend!  :tipup:

I am curious to know if anyone has had any luck scrounging up any detailed lake maps (bathymetric) for Alaska (besides the ADFG pdf maps)?  Don't get me wrong; I love the fact that the lakes and all the stocking or other information is available from ADFG, its just that sometimes I am looking for a bit more detail on the lake structure and I have no electronics and don't usually go to lakes during the soft water season, so my frame of reference is a bit poor.  I think a bathymetric map would be very benificial, but so far I haven't found any.  I have yet to exhaust all the places I have been meaning to check, but I figured I would post here and see if anyone had any info. 

Have a good one!

Jake

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Other Lake Maps (Bathymetric)?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2006, 03:35 PM »
I've tried to come up with other Lake Maps too, no luck!  Tried F&G and USGS.......Nothing!  The folks I talked to didn't even know how the original Bathymetric's were/who made or obtained the info ???, maybe talkeing to different people within F&G or possibly DNR which I have not contacted.  I'm hoping that with the technology in satellites(sp?) maybe some new lakes may be added.  Could be too that funding has never been available to map most of the main lakes in Alaska?  I know Brad (FF) was able to come up with Skilak Lake, I know I've tried to get the lake map for it but nada......

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2006, 04:08 PM »
Grizz....

I spoke with a man named Roy Ireland at DNR Hyrdology this am and he said he was not aware of any other lake mapping done independantly of specific projects that required the work.  He pointed out the ADFG maps and said possibly the UA system (anch and fbx) as possible follow ups.  I think a call may be in order for them and maybe to ADFG to see where they got thier information, if it was not first hand.  Just my 2 cents....

btw  going out tomorrow?  I've got my finger on my auger for digits....... ;)

Cheers!

Jake

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2006, 05:14 PM »
Don't think I'll make it out fri. not my fri. off, next fri is it.........Guess I could go, but I'd have some company, my 1 1/2 yr. and 4 1/2 yr old boy's and they seem to be good for only an hour or so. 

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:23 PM »
I bought a Mat-Su map at Wal-Mart a couple of years ago that details some of the trail systems, roads, lake locations and names.  The reverse side of the map has the contour and depths for Big Lake.  It is much more detailed than the DNR map but does not detail structure (rocks, muck, weeds, etc...). 

I wish the company that makes the Hot Spots maps in the midwest would map out some of the lakes up here.  If I find anything else I'll let every one know.

Mike

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2006, 03:17 PM »
AK DAN-

I am a fisherman and my name is Jake, however, I am not THE fishermanjake.  Sorry!  :'(  But judging by his name, he must be a standup guy!  ;)

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask me if I was him! 

Its such a fine day 2day, I may bag on the office for the second half of the day and head out!

See you on the ice this weekend!

J :tipup:

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2006, 07:36 PM »
Here is where I am at so far.......PM for details on how this could be your favorite lake!   :tipup: Jake

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2006, 01:56 PM »
WoW!  That looks great Jake..........Now if I can get my printer to work :D.

Offline AKanders

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Got 'im!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2006, 05:30 PM »
Thanks Ron! After the holidays I am going to work on some other lake maps that have been suggested by some other folks. 

If anyone needs me for the next few days I will be out on louise somewhere.....I have a few ideas, but I am always open to suggestions........... ;)  Lakers look out!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all the hardwater nuts!!

Cheers!

J :tipup:

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:17 PM »
I'm betin' you have a great trip ;D, I've gotta make that trip in 2007.........Looking forward to your report :).

Have you ever used the National Geographic Maps on CD-Rom?  If you have how do you like it and is it easy to use?  I'm not very good with the 'puters :blink:.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

-Grizz

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.