Author Topic: Nikwax water proofing  (Read 2110 times)

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Nikwax water proofing
« on: Mar 30, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Has anybody used this stuff? I have an Ice Armor grey suit that is several years old. On Friday kneeling in slush it finally let water in. Which when I stood up ran down my leg and into my black mickey boots. While my feet were warm they were wet. After some research I found this Nikwax and was wondering what the vast ice fishing community here on Ice Shanty thought about it.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Nikwax water proofing
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23, 2014, 05:00 AM »
Well e-mailed Clam and Nikwax. The solution is to wash the suit in Nikwax Tech wash ($9.75). Then spray on Nikwax TX Direct spray on ($21.50) for water proofing. will post later when results are known.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2014, 06:13 AM »
Just did a little research on this topic .... 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:39 AM »
   I have used Nikwax and was very pleased with the results. Good luck
John

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:40 PM »
Used the wash last week. Suit sure smells better.  :o  Still has some stains.  ::)  Ordered the TX direct spray on. Waiting for its arrival.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2014, 12:45 PM »
Good Stuff Nikwax. I use it on all my backpacking/camping gear
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2014, 07:32 AM »
Well did my suit and gloves. If my water test is accurate. This stuff was worth it. Put gloves under running  water in my kitchen sink and the water just slid off. Same for the arms of my suit. The real rest will come in feb and march. When there can be rain.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2014, 06:43 PM »
I have used Nikwax and Revive-x on my Gore-tex and other waterproof breathable shells. I get good results with either of them. The spray seems to work better than the bottles you pour in the washing machine. Wash the garment according to the label instructions and put it on a hanger. Spray the coating while the garment is wet, then toss it in the dryer. Run the dryer at low heat until the garment is completely dry. I do this to my work jacket twice each winter and I stay dry working in wet conditions. My co-workers who don't treat their jackets complain about them not being waterproof.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2015, 03:29 AM »
I use Nikwax tech wash and then Nikwax wash in water proof for my breathable waders and it works great. Dont see why it wouldnt on any other material that needs the DWR coating to be renewed.

J-

Offline medic76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 03, 2015, 04:21 PM »
I am just getting ready to try this out on my Cabelas Ice Angler suit. It has not been leaking water through it just needs some of the slim and snot washed out  ;). has anybody tried it on the Gore Tex?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.