Author Topic: Golden Pond shiners  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Drydock

• IceShanty Rookie
Golden Pond shiners
« on: Feb 07, 2018, 05:41 PM »
Just wondering how many people have their own live wells for the shiners and how many they put in I have a 190 gallon tank I can hold 30 to 40 dozen

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Golden Pond shiners
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:14 PM »
Awesome setup, I'm jealous. I keep mine in an aerated bucket, I'm happy if they last a week with a couple of water changes.

Offline ImmovingtoMaine,OUCH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2018, 09:02 PM »
25 gallon fish tank with bio wheel fish filter plus 2 110 bubblers, holds a couple dozen goldies well and a dozen or so large3-4in regular shiners have been alive since mid January...not great but it works, use it for eels May-Nov, then switch it hardwater baits by Dec

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:17 AM »

100gal Rubbermaid tank with waterfall filter box in mid Dec I had 200 goldies Im probably down to under a 100 I'm not sure if I have enough to last the rest of the season.

Go big or go home

Offline below 32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:38 AM »
 That is a very nice set up!!! Do you have to change the water at all throughout the winter?

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:53 AM »
Below32 if your taking to me yes I change 1/3-1/2 of the water about once a month if needed. I always bring home 5gal of river or lake water to put in the tank when I go fishing I don't know if it helps but I like to think it dose
Go big or go home

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2018, 11:15 AM »
What size "Golden Pond Shiners" are you guys talking about?  Based on number of fish per gallon of water in your set up, it seems like the numbers are all over the place.  "Golden Pond Shiner" to me means 6"+ fish, but others may have a different take.  I'm not sure I have found a bait shop that sells goldies any smaller.  Although, admittedly, I have bought any in a couple of years.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2018, 11:47 AM »
Just wondering how many people have their own live wells for the shiners and how many they put in I have a 190 gallon tank I can hold 30 to 40 dozen

I don't think my bait shop's tank is that big. :o

Offline Drydock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:41 PM »
I use middle of the road shiners two and a half inch 2 3 and 1/2 in I trapped them myself

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:26 PM »
My shiners are 5-11in
Go big or go home

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:30 PM »
Pikeking23 I have not gotten shiners from a bait shop in about 6yrs other then salmon and laker bait in N.Y. I catch all my own pike bait
Go big or go home

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2018, 02:49 PM »
Where do you find Golden’s to trap?   Find a lot of river dace, etc that are 6-10”

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:45 PM »
Where do you find Golden’s to trap?   Find a lot of river dace, etc that are 6-10”

Just keep trying different ponds and different spots in the same pond if you know it has shiners in it. Some ponds I can only catch them on hook and line other ponds I can't catch on hook and line but they go in the trap
Go big or go home

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2018, 11:40 AM »
Pikeman-we're speaking the same language.  That is a nice filtration system to be able to keep that many goldies (that are that big) in a tank that size.  I too only catch my own bait, now.  I mostly use fallfish, as they are easy to come by in large numbers during the fall.  By bait is also 6"-14".  Have not found the magic goldie pond, yet.

Offline pikemanEd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Just keep trying pikeking23 you will find them.
Go big or go home

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.