Author Topic: After March 1st, what is considered "legal" for bass fishing bantam  (Read 937 times)

Offline Ice_pike_22

• IceShanty Rookie
Bantam is very close to ny house and i usually only ice fish there. I am aware that pike season closes March 1st to April 30th at bantam. I will be taking off all my quick strike rigs and steel liters and start fishing for bass at Bantam. What is considered legal? Can i still use small treble hooks, 5 or 6" shiners, and 15 lb flurocarbon without DEEP thinking im targeting pike? Any advice would help to keep me from breaking the law. Thanks!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
If it were me...I would email DEEP that question and print out their response.  That law leaves a lot of gray area to be discussed...or argued. 

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
I.A.'s suggestion is actually a solid one.

Not saying that it couldn't happen, but from my own personal experience fishing Bantam in March I have never been asked by an officer to see my rigs/bait.

Here's another thought. Suppose you were targeting chain pickerel at Bantam in March (instead of bass)?? I've caught them as big as 28" there at that time of the year. Depending on who you're dealing with you could argue your pickerel and pike rigs are the same, and that you're fishing for pickerel. May get you "off the hook" (pun intended).  ;D

Offline damion812

• IceShanty Rookie
• All Other Species: Open year round,
statewide regulations apply.
• Other: Motors prohibited 11 p.m. to
5 a.m. Use of internal combustion
motors prohibited on the Bantam River
between Bantam Lake and the inlet to
Little Pon.

From the guide last year.  I think ur good

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Also this assumes there will be safe ice 1 March and that can change rather rapidly.

Offline MRG870

• IceShanty Rookie
drilling holes through LMB lips with a hook, sitting in a kayak works too  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.