Author Topic: Live v.s Dead bait for big pike.  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Ice_pike_22

• IceShanty Rookie
Live v.s Dead bait for big pike.
« on: Jan 31, 2018, 04:38 PM »
Have been ice fishing pike for 3 years now and use 3 tip ups with live bait and 3 tip ups with dead bait. Which do you guys think will produce bigger pike? looking to hit that 40" mark. Do you fish your dead bait laying on the bottom, or suspended horizontally a few feet off bottom? How far from the bottom do you fish your live bait? I use quick strike rigs for both, and usually wait about 60 seconds before setting the hook (I lose less fish this way) Any advice will help. Usually use live / dead 6"- 10" suckers and shiners. Thanks

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Live v.s Dead bait for big pike.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2018, 06:55 PM »
I've caught almost all my big pike with dead baits on or close to the bottom. I use single hooks too and rarely miss fish. I've seen trebles and quick strikes get swallowed which is a death sentence.

Offline rogerj1977

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Don’t beg for info!!  Do your research and put in the time and someday the big one will bite. 40 years old been going for big pike for 20 and haven’t beat the 24” mark yet.
" Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" 
Albert Einstein

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Im with Matt except I mix up where I hang my baits.  My biggest were all dead baits.  I kill them at the hole and I scrape some, not all of the scales off before setting.  Unless I am using sea herring. Those I just put down.

Offline bronxbasser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Sounds like you're doing good to me my man! If you keep putting the time in and mixing it up like you're doing, you'll eventually hone it down to what works for you.

I personally like a mix of live suckers & shiners, with the occasional big dead bait mixed in. I like action on the flags and I believe that the body of water/spot you're on trumps the size/viability of the bait.

Hahah we should all be so lucky to find out what that other dude is doing and just do the opposite! not breaking 24" in 20 years is ultra bad business.

Offline Pondguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:14 PM »
Pike are top of the food chain predators. I used to ice bigguns in Maine. Just caught pike fever again about 2 weeks ago, here in ct. I like suckers and single hook steel leaders. Like all hard water fishing.. a lot of luck, a little know how get it done. Every day is a different tactic, if your not catching, change your depth till you get action.
Kids who Hunt, Fish and trap. Don’t mug old ladies.

Offline Pondguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:17 PM »

Offline Pondguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:23 PM »
31 incher. My daughters got about 10 hrs pike fishing time in and iced 2 nice ones. Luck lands the good ones

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:50 PM »
Pike and deads go together like brats and kraut. Sure live bait catches fish and some bigguns too, but all the biggest toothies I've iced have been on dead bait.

As far as presentations go mine mostly bob on a wind tippy. Sometimes nose in the mud, other times a bit higher. I always use quick strike rigs on deads. If the fish is moving away they get steel right away, no waiting. Virtually each fish is hooked in the mouth and easily released.

Except for early and very late ice deeper structure is usually key.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline fishoninct

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fishon and often. Leave no trace.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2018, 05:15 AM »
Don’t beg for info!!  Do your research and put in the time and someday the big one will bite. 40 years old been going for big pike for 20 and haven’t beat the 24” mark yet.
I thought this forum was a source of helpful information.  Maybe if you were a little nicer and more helpful, karma would reward you.
If you can't play nice, get off the ice!

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2018, 09:35 AM »

You need to use bigger bait, lol! 

I have also caught my biggest using big dead bait right on the bottom.  I switched over to just dead bait for about the last 3 years.  Fishing has been slooooooow!  This year I added some live bait to my spread just to keep things interesting.  In general, live bait will get you more flags, but they will (on average) be smaller.  The big girls are fat and lazy.

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:32 AM »

Agree with Fishoninct....someone puts out a survey question they're not "begging for information". If you don't have anything useful to add to the post, you don't need to reply.

And no offence, but if you've been fishing for pike for 20 years and haven't beat a 24 incher, you may want to consider getting some information for yourself.  ;D

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2018, 11:35 AM »
...and getting back to the survey my best northern (40 inches, 18.5 pounds) was on a live shiner.

I only use live bait unless dead ones are all I have left. Did get a 35" some years back that way (pickerel ate all of my live ones)!  :tipup:

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:08 PM »
I fish just about dead bait or dead. I'll cut the airbladder on the bait and the gills so they just swim lethargic. And the next trip I'll use them then. I have had decent results usually get one over 15lbs a year

Offline BWB-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2018, 09:42 AM »
Personally, I think the best bait is the one that happens to be sitting in front of the hungry Pike's nose as it passes by! ;D

Seriously, there is a lot of great info posted so far...now it's up to the amount of time you put in. Good luck and I look forward to the post of your first 40"er!!
"If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago". Zane Grey

"The water you touch in a river is the last of that which has passed, and the first of that which is coming; thus it is with time". Leonardo DaVinci

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:42 AM »
My biggest pike came off a large shiner in a put 7 fow.

Never had a ton of luck on dead bait for pike.

Dead bait for lakers is a different story  ;)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:43 AM »
My biggest pike came off a large shiner in a put 7 fow.

Never had a ton of luck on dead bait for pike.

Dead bait for lakers is a different story  ;)
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.