Author Topic: Nils 8" auger  (Read 3492 times)

Offline bob48

• IceShanty Rookie
Nils 8" auger
« on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:46 AM »
Well yesterday was a very disappointing day for me, I took my Nils out for the first time, had between 4 and 6 inches of black ice and it wouldnt even cut throught it. I heard their very temper mental and you have to hold them straight which I was, this thing would just not cut. I bought this auger because there suppose to be the best, what a let down,called the people where I bought it and they told me it's under warranty and I have to contact Nils. With ice fishing season underway I didn't want to have to go thru this hassle. Any other Nils users out there ever have a problem I would like to here  about it, just mad right now and wish I bought another lazer.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Nils 8" auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:56 AM »
I use the same auger....it can not be dropped blades down EVER!  Try not to bang the blades around at all.  Do you have a PowerPoint on that head?  Worse comes to worse I have a 8" lazer I can loan you.  I love my nils and never break the Laser out.

Offline Velcro

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The jigging snowflake
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:02 PM »
Makes me nervous, I recently ordered a 4.5" nils and hope I have a better experience with it.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:04 PM »
I had the same problem with them. Went through 3 blades in the first 2 years and got rid of it. If you hit a grain on sand in the ice they stop working and just spin on top of the ice. At least with a full mora you can still power through the ice. I'll never buy a nils again.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Matt did you have the blade minus the powerpoint?  My buddy who runs a guide service in mass has drilled probably 60-70 holes twice a day for a entire season on one blade.  I've hit random crap in the ice, sticks, leaves, muck, with no issues.   I'm wondering if it was only an issue with the older style blade.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:14 PM »
I tried both blades. Both worked for a little while then were useless after that.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:17 PM »
Makes me nervous, I recently ordered a 4.5" nils and hope I have a better experience with it.

you won't ever have an issue with the 4.5"  Mine is over 20 years old and is still on the original blades.

Offline olek989

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:27 PM »
had the same issue with the 8" it just slides on the ice no cutting   i sent it out to get sharpened and it works good now no issues used it for the 5th time after sharpening drillled my holes no issues only thing when i get to the bottom of the hole it starts to slide on the last 1/8 of an inch

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:32 PM »
Wow I guess I am lucking out then, never had any issues.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #9 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:45 PM »
Bob: I've experienced similar issues with an 8" Nils hand auger before getting the Tanaka engine for it. 

Read this thread for some guys feeling your pain: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=268478.0

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:54 PM »
I have the 4.5 Nils an dit's been trouble free for the past 3 seasons.   I have an 8 Nils and it doesn't cut great.   I find I have to rock it a bit to get it to bite into the ice.

Offline schaffman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:54 PM »
I have the 4.5 Nils and it's been trouble free for the past 3 seasons.   I have an 8 Nils and it doesn't cut great.   I find I have to rock it a bit to get it to bite into the ice.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:42 PM »
Bob: I've experienced similar issues with an 8" Nils hand auger before getting the Tanaka engine for it. 

Read this thread for some guys feeling your pain: http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=268478.0

I need a tanaka head!  Was using one yesterday, awesome engine for sure!  Where'd you get yours?

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Bob,

Although it sounded like yours didn't cut hole #1, if you got through one hole and the blade got a touch of ice frozen to the bottom it will stop them cold. They just spin like a top.

Offline Kierran

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • theCTyankee.com
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2014, 01:49 PM »
I need a tanaka head!  Was using one yesterday, awesome engine for sure!  Where'd you get yours?

CT Outfitters

Offline gtang11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:04 PM »
Same issue here with mine last year. Sent it to get sharpened and its as good as new,cuts great. I'd bring it back if its brand new or send to ma to get sharpened, $20.

Offline icemansect

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:09 PM »
i purchased this auger yesterday and omg its amazing better than the lazer or any other auger that I have owend

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:15 PM »
I was fishing with him yesterday and tried using the auger myself and had the same results...blades almost looks like they where sharpened before.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:47 PM »
One of the key things with the nils is they have to be sharp,banging or putting the blade down hard will take some of the angle the blade is sharpend at. I have made an adapter for mine it works by hand or on my strikemaster. after having it professionally sharped the first time ,never had a problem with it best auger I have ever owned,the blade cover is sub par.A lot of guys partially drill holes and leave resting there vertical.not a good thing. those sharp blades must touch the ice.any ice up will stop it from working. other than that its like a hot knife through butter.

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:54 PM »
One of the key things with the nils is they have to be sharp,banging or putting the blade down hard will take some of the angle the blade is sharpend at. I have made an adapter for mine it works by hand or on my strikemaster. after having it professionally sharped the first time ,never had a problem with it best auger I have ever owned,the blade cover is sub par.A lot of guys partially drill holes and leave resting there vertical.not a good thing. those sharp blades must touch the ice.any ice up will stop it from working. other than that its like a hot knife through butter.
Auger was never   banged on ice or pavement...it was taken out of box with cover on...screwed the handle on and taken to the ice. Took cover off tried drilling a hole and wouldnt work.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:58 PM »
...and you said it looked like someone tried sharpening it?  From what I understand to sharpen one you gotta know what your doing.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:10 PM »
I have an 8" laser that just stopped cutting. Put new blades on it last year. Almost bought a nils a couple of weeks ago but with Christmas I didn't want to spend the money. Went to dicks and got a six inch mora for 54.00
It cuts thru the ice like butter I've had 2 lasers over the last several years and they never cut as good as this one.
Great bang for the buck. Nils is supposed to be the best but I can buy 3 moras for the price of 1 nils and I can't imagine anything cutting any better. We will see how long it lasts.

Wt

Offline bob48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:19 PM »
Iowa thanks for the offer but i have othe augers, Eiderz I did get through the hole but I was out of breath afterwards,not the result I was looking for,I had my son (Basson) with me and he had the same problem there was no ice frozen on the blades,I wish I asked opinions on it first I probably would of walked away.I'm going to call Nils and throw it in their court hopefully they stand behind their product.Thankyou everyone for the responses.

Offline bugchazer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:44 PM »
after reading all this, I need to take my 8" nils out to try it. It's in its 2nd season and it would not be nice to drive a couple of hrs then not work.

Offline octanehi5

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Work was made for people who can't fish, I'm retir
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Then I would return it,or have it sharpened, Call the nils people an see what they say. I am sure they will steer you in th right direction

Trooper Bri

« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:31 PM »
I own a 6" and 8", and owned a 2'nd 6" that I sold to elcapitanmas. All bought from Connecticut Outfitters (delivered freight), and cut like butter. My 8" has a few seasons on it and still cuts fine by hand. Kapt also has an 8" Nils on the Tanaka. He's on his 2'nd head after the 1'st one got dull. But we cut a LOT of holes with it. All bought from CTO too.
I'd question one delivered FedEx or OOPS for sure. But then again, who knows how any of them get handled from it's trip from Sweden, or wherever. If you weren't out in Shelton, I'd offer to take it for a spin (pun!) vs. mine.

As far as the power point vs. the regular blades on the 8", I can only guess it's for people who were having issues with the Tanaka power head. On really hard ice, I can see where the standard head may want to wander a bit as you start a hole if you just go for it. Not as much an issue in CT as it is in Minnesota. Let it spin a couple times at lower RPM to start a cone, then ramp up the throttle.
The power point is grabby as hell. It wants to pull the head down faster. You almost have to lift the handles a wee bit to keep the RPM's up. The standard head is in a happy place.

Offline shotty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:48 PM »
I guess I'm one of the lucky one's I am very happy with mine it is the 6" though but it cuts through the ice like butter and when I'm up in NH or VT the ice can be 20 plus inches and I sometimes  punch 30 to 40 holes a day unless I find fish right off the bat and it's is almost as sharp as the day I got it.  :)

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:51 PM »
now you got me worried! i got a brand now 8 that i haven't put to ice yet i will have to get it into some ice asap and make sure there are no issues with mine, i have a 6 and absolutely love it, bought the 8 for extra insurance and since the nyc reservoirs don't allow motors of any kind even on augers and the giant browns and lakers aren't friendly to a small hole!
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline ctbob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:54 AM »
I have the six inch "temperamental" nils.  It goes from cutting like butter one trip to unable to cut one hole the next. I've gone thru two blades in maybe a dozen or so trips.The last time was after a quarter mile solo walk  to my favorite river sandpit ice spot only to find a nils that would not cut a single hole. Quick trip that day.   I sent the blades out to be resharpened, and the guy did mention sand can mess up the blade.
    When it worked it cut great with new blades, and o.k. with resharpened blades, but make sure you bring a back up, or have a friend that is willing to share his auger with you.

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2014, 06:27 AM »
Im pretty sure I know the area ure talkin about...after I fished thier all season a few years ago I had to change blades on my lazer...that sand gets in the ice and ruins the blades.i just cant see how nils being the comapany that they are having all these problems with blades not cutting...ive never heard a complaint about a strikemaster not cutting out of the box.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.