Author Topic: what lakes or ponds locked up  (Read 2591 times)

Offline iceman89

• IceShanty Rookie
what lakes or ponds locked up
« on: Dec 20, 2009, 02:44 PM »
hey we had a bad and good snow storm and what lakes and ponds frozen over  thanks and I'm at work loll i cant go out and find out what lakes are frozen it I'm plowing loll

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
Re: what lakes or ponds locked up
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2009, 04:19 PM »
 ::) You tell us. Your out driving around in it. I'm home watching football. Go Green Bay! ;D
 Seriously.....check the smaller ponds. The winds this week did not help the lakes much. >:(
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2009, 06:50 PM »
I've only been fishing places that aren't locked up, and snow is never good in my opinion. Fresh black ice is the best!

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:16 AM »
The snow acts as an insulator and keeps the water below the thin ice warm. This is the time of year people see a few fisherman in a cove, run home for their gear, set out across the lake and fall through.  :o Start slow, it will all be safe in a couple more weeks. Start on a trout pond over 4' of water near the shore looking for rainbows.  You don't know whats under that snow further out.

Offline iceman89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:40 AM »
yeah there a small pond in Waterbury and i know it has on it i check out and some other ones to black rock state park got ice on it to but I'm going to check if it got more inch's on if it did going fishing ill give everyone the news of which one is safe if not just find out and keep it posted anyone form live on hitch cock lake in wolcott is the lake locked up yet thanks happy holiday

Offline JLH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2009, 09:41 AM »
Got out on 4” of black ice yesterday in Eastern CT.  The ice was pretty uniform in thickness in the cove I was fishing but definitely wasn’t safe in some of the deeper spots that get more wind.  This snow definitely makes things a lot more dangerous; make sure to bring a spud bar, safety equipment and a buddy if you plan on heading out.  I probably won’t get out again until after the holidays with all the family obligations coming up.  Hopefully there will be a lot of options available by then. 

Offline chadroc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2009, 10:59 AM »
question on the snow......everyone seems to agree that the snow insulates the water below the ice....say you had solid black ice, about 5".  then it snowed....would the snow compromise the solid black ice and make it less safe or would you assume that the 5" you had before the snow would hold up solid underneath it.  this always confused me.

ponds and lakes are really weird to me when it comes to ice.  some just have better freezing conditions than others do.  a very small pond near me in eastern ct is only covered with about 2" of black ice where a much larger pond had the 5" i was referencing above.  odd.  ice forms differently under different conditions even on the same lateral line and elevation.
if the trout are lost, smash the state.

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:33 AM »
Lower Bolton was locked up on Saturday, but I doubt it was safe.  Coventry had ice in the coves, but only about 2", definitely not safe as of Saturday.  Smaller ponds had more ice, but most are iffy at this point.  Bottom line is be very careful out there.  The wind can really work against the ponds/lakes locking up and making safe ice. 
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2009, 03:27 PM »
question on the snow......everyone seems to agree that the snow insulates the water below the ice....say you had solid black ice, about 5".  then it snowed....would the snow compromise the solid black ice and make it less safe or would you assume that the 5" you had before the snow would hold up solid underneath it.  this always confused me.

ponds and lakes are really weird to me when it comes to ice.  some just have better freezing conditions than others do.  a very small pond near me in eastern ct is only covered with about 2" of black ice where a much larger pond had the 5" i was referencing above.  odd.  ice forms differently under different conditions even on the same lateral line and elevation.
The snow will work against you. The 38 deegree water will eat away at the underside of the black ice. The snow stops the cold night air from chilling the ice slab further alowing the warm water below to take it's toll. Stupid snow. >:(

Offline iceman89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2009, 04:32 PM »
want up to black rock and fished and got nice perch and nice good hits to but its 4 1/2 of ice its safe to fish just take it safe that's my report

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:14 PM »
That must have been you in the cove near the road as I drove by. ;D ;D ;D

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2009, 06:24 PM »
The snow will work against you. The 38 deegree water will eat away at the underside of the black ice. The snow stops the cold night air from chilling the ice slab further alowing the warm water below to take it's toll. Stupid snow. >:(
Part of what you said makes sense (the snow insulating the ice from the cold air above it). But.... the 38 degree water that you mention is at the bottom of the lake. That's why we fish just off the bottom. As you move up from the bottom of the (iced over) lake the water actually temperature drops.

Water just under the ice is just a fraction of a degree above 32. If you already have solid ice the snow's insulation will help maintain the ice if the ambient air temps rise. :tipup:

Offline westfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2009, 09:32 PM »

Offline iceman89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2009, 07:37 AM »
oldfart yes that's me but im going to today so if anyone wants to ice fish ill b up there

Offline iceman89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2009, 05:16 AM »
caught a nice trout on black rock and seen other people out there to nice to see people haveing fun

Offline fishingman17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2009, 06:35 AM »
is the gole thing safe or just one part might go up there this morning

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.