New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?  (Read 45720 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Hey Fly Tiers, What's In The Vice For Ice?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 17, 2015, 04:47 PM »
Another nymph pattern I've been working on for the ice. Caddis Fly Pupae.

It's weighted with a flat lead underbody. A bugger to tie, but looks great.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #31 on: Nov 20, 2015, 04:37 AM »
How about a PT Nymph Jig ;D

I'll skip the narrative. Just ask if you need some info.

1/64 fly jig, #10 hook
SM gold wire
Pheasant tail fibers
Peacock hurl
Brown 6/0 uni

I switch over from wire to uni at this point.

l

Have fun!

Rg

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #32 on: Nov 20, 2015, 06:57 AM »
not much of a fly tier, my dropper above a hali or jig, crude but it works

[/quote
that could work steelies
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 20, 2015, 08:10 AM »
This has inspired me to add a station to my fishing room in the new place im headed to. Awesome stuff.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Nov 20, 2015, 08:25 AM »
This has inspired me to add a station to my fishing room in the new place im headed to. Awesome stuff.

Very worthwhile past time. Do you have a vise?

Rg

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 20, 2015, 08:52 AM »
No. It just means I get to go shopping.  ;D

Offline TakinYoDuckets

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:00 AM »
RG you tie damn well, i tie mostly for my personal fly fishing stash for my clients.  Im sure your a fly fisherman by the techniques and patterns you tie.  the Jigged PT is after my own heart the fly is just a deadly in open water and on the ice.  Its a pleasure to see your patterns and I hope to add more but the early ice has me in the high country too much. 

Loso start cheap unless you really want to jump in feet first, a simple travel box vice will suffice.  They will usually come with some tools, i suggest spending the money for a decent to nice bobbin and the rest of the stuff you can go cheap on (whip finishes, bodkins, hackle pliers....). There is something very gratifying about catching a fish on a fly you personally tied. 

Offline Big Red Shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 20, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Wow, those look terriffic!! That PT Nymph Jig looks nice, big time! Gonna tie a few up this weekend! Thank for the ideas!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Nov 20, 2015, 03:47 PM »
Works for Hare's Ears too.

Rg

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Nov 20, 2015, 04:07 PM »
Buy good scissors. Dr. Slick are hard to beat for the money.

Rg

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Nov 20, 2015, 04:24 PM »
I tend to look at the good stuff. Never afraid to spend it for fishing if I think its gonna benefit my trips.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Nov 20, 2015, 06:22 PM »
I was gonna offer a vise. Love to see another get addicted.

Rg

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 20, 2015, 07:35 PM »
I would be interested.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Nov 21, 2015, 02:07 AM »
I have a Danvise that I just replaced with a high end Dyna King. I tied on it for quite a few years. It's still good as new. Look up Danvise online and see if it's something you're interested in. I'd be happy to pass it along.

Bob

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Nov 21, 2015, 02:28 AM »
I made a couple improvements to the bench to accommodate the new vise. Picked up a bamboo cutting board from Wally World for a few bucks to use as a base. It has a nice groove around the perimeter to keep beads and stuff from rolling away. Easy on the eyes as a background. No reflected light to deal with. Good lighting is a must for us old guys.

Found a nice daylight LED desk lamp too for $20 and mounted it to the board to give me some natural light right where I wanted it.

Also let in some heavy duty ceramic magnets flush with the surface to hold the vise base in place when I get to pulling on some Kevlar thread. Holds it like a rock now.

I'm gonna add a flexible magnifier when I find the one I want and I have some ideas brewing for that blank piece of wall in front of me at the bench ;D

You've probably noticed the clipboard in the background on my bench. I use that as a profile plate when I'm tying. I change the paper color depending on the fly I'm tying to accent the fly outline. Grey, white and light blue all work well. I have astigmatism and sometimes trying to focus on small flies for extended periods of time with no immediate backdrop can give me headaches.  That little gem of a suggestion came from my opthamologist who happens to also be a fly fisher.

I love tinkering with stuff!

Rg

Offline Loso015

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 21, 2015, 05:15 AM »
Definitely interested!  We will have to meet up on the ice this year.  Where do you spend your time on the hardwater? I'd love to see your flies in the water on camera. Ever done that before?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Nov 21, 2015, 11:39 AM »
If I have my choice , I'm on Keuka or Canandaigua lake. But, I fish a lot of the finger lakes and Lake Ontario bays.

Rg

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Nov 21, 2015, 11:20 PM »
I have been contemplating Lakers recently. I know bucktail jigs have a following around here.

This is essentially a modified articulated double deciever with an attached jig head. Idea is ability to change weight of the jig head to suit conditions. Still a work in progress...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #48 on: Nov 22, 2015, 02:21 AM »
A creative idea for sure.

Ever look at tying tube flies? There's a huge variety of weights available for them.

Rg

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Nov 22, 2015, 03:16 AM »

@redneckdan do you pour your own lead? mite want to look at the ear ball lure mold... made by doit mold company..it has to attachment point for the line and one for the  lure like the snap end on yours you could make your own for very cheap .. by the way nice tie none the less....   

Offline redneckdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Nov 22, 2015, 09:29 AM »
I did some digging last night and found a company that makes a jig head with integrated clip. I will order some monday.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:38 PM »
Hey guys.  I know.... I know...  I'm not from New York, but one of the other members showed me this thread, and I love tying flies.  So I wanted to throw some flies up that I tied in the last few days.  Hope ya don't mind!!

I just got serious about ice fishing at the end of last season.  This year, Drew got me interested in palm rods, and I've got some ordered and on the way.  Going to use some 1.5# and 2.2# Stroft on the palm rods, and these #18 and #20 bead head flies.  These are my three favorite bead heads (Pheasant Tail, Hare's Ear, and Prince Nymph) in the trout rivers and panfish ponds around here, so figured I would tie them up and give them a shot through the ice for some small bluegills and yellow perch in the shallows.  Now, let's see if I can get these pictures to post on here.  Sorry if they turn out crappy.  I used the camera on my Droid. 

The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #52 on: Nov 22, 2015, 05:44 PM »
looking good! they all look good to me. i need to do more of that and not just foam spiders.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #53 on: Nov 23, 2015, 01:58 AM »

Everyone is welcome here!

Very nice ties Raptor. Well proportioned. I like your take on the PT nymph.

Ever watch this video of Frank Sawyer tying his PT Nymph?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=416Os9V84n8

Shows how we've interpreted his original.

Rg

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Nov 23, 2015, 07:12 AM »
Thank you RG.  Thanks for that video also!  I had not seen that video of Frank.  Sure is something how things change over time.  I added flashback on mine just because I know bluegill and perch like shiny stuff.  At least in my experience, shiny stuff has always worked a little better when I'm targeting those two species.  So while tying that one up, I thought I would change the casing up a little bit and give it a shot.  Also used copper wire on the abdomen to add just a bit more weight since it is such a tiny fly.  I'll be using it on a palm rod, so wanted to give a bit of weight so I can see it a little easier on the indicator. 

I like your woven flies.  That is one thing I've never been able to do.  I am a little A.D.D., and can't sit still very long.  I love tying flies, but can only manage to sit at the desk for 30 to 45 minutes at a time, then I gotta get up and go do something else.  There are times when I can tie for hours on end, but I bet it only happens about 2 or 3 times a year.  I usually stock up on my flies over the course of the winter since it gets so dark so early.  A half hour an evening lets me really stock up on my flies for the coming spring and summer.  Then I can be out USING the flies instead of TYING the flies!!  ;D

There are two books that pretty much taught me how to tie flies.  I had been tying since 1986, but didn't get serious about new techniques till I found these two books:  "The fly tiers benchside reference to techniques and dressing styles" and "Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying."  With those two books, a person can tie darn near anything!  Woven patterns are something I'd like to learn..... someday.
The next time you think you know it all, try telling someone else's dog what to do.

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Nov 23, 2015, 07:24 AM »
Hey RG, how do ya like that Dyna King vice?  I have been tying on a Peak Rotary for a long time, and have been thinking about getting a dedicated midge vice.  Tying anything smaller than a #18 gets pretty difficult on my Peak because the jaws are so wide and beefy.  Also thinking about a Renzetti Presentation or Mater.  Any thoughts on these vices?? 

I practically stole my Peak vice off ebay.  Got it for $10 opening bid in the middle of the winter several years ago.  Couldn't believe it.  Got it so cheap I can't afford to sell it! ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Nov 23, 2015, 08:00 AM »
Frank used lamp cord wire and nothing else in his day. I've seen a few videos featuring him. He never used a bobbin either. Half hitch tool and a hackle pliars and scissors were about it.

So far I like the Dynaking. That said I've ordered the midge jaws as well. Also, having worked as a gunsmith for a while, I couldn't accept the stiffness of the locking lever and jaws. They come finished to about a 320 surface. I polished all the components and find it much better. Kinda like dropping a replacement competition trigger in a stock long distance target rifle.

I'm finishing up some additions to the bench right now. When I'm done I'll do a bit on my favorite weaves. They're really easy once you do a couple.

Rg

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Nov 23, 2015, 08:07 AM »
I can't even begin to imagine tying without my Right bobbin!  Don't know how he did it.

Yeah I'm interested to see those weaves.  Start me off with an easy one!! ;D ;D 

Offline TakinYoDuckets

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Nov 23, 2015, 08:38 AM »
Hey RG, how do ya like that Dyna King vice?  I have been tying on a Peak Rotary for a long time, and have been thinking about getting a dedicated midge vice.  Tying anything smaller than a #18 gets pretty difficult on my Peak because the jaws are so wide and beefy.  Also thinking about a Renzetti Presentation or Mater.  Any thoughts on these vices?? 

I practically stole my Peak vice off ebay.  Got it for $10 opening bid in the middle of the winter several years ago.  Couldn't believe it.  Got it so cheap I can't afford to sell it! ;D
Raptor i tie midges on mine a lot... i suggest you look in to the midge jaws for the peak rotary.  they run about 40-50 bucks and would be more cost effective than a new vice.
http://www.amazon.com/PEAK-Rotary-Vise-Midge-Jaw/dp/B003APP9UI

Offline Raptortrapper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Nov 23, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Raptor i tie midges on mine a lot... i suggest you look in to the midge jaws for the peak rotary.  they run about 40-50 bucks and would be more cost effective than a new vice.
http://www.amazon.com/PEAK-Rotary-Vise-Midge-Jaw/dp/B003APP9UI

That'll work!!!!  Didn't know they made those!!  Thanks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.