Author Topic: pull system for 8x11 shack  (Read 2995 times)

Offline aspire

• IceShanty Rookie
pull system for 8x11 shack
« on: Jan 09, 2022, 03:22 PM »
I built an 8x11 shanty with 2x2 framing and foam sheathing. I have attempted to minimize the weight as much as possible.
The base has two 2x10 runners on each side with HPDE plastic on the bottom making two 8" wide skis. This shack is at a cottage
and will only be dragged down a boat ramp onto the lake and then put away in the spring. I need to build a pull system for it.
I lag bolted 4 feet of angle iron 1/4 inch thick and 3.5 wide on the inside of each ski to add strength and provide pulling points. I
estimate the shack is below 1500 lbs. I could just drill holes in the angle iron ends and use chains, but managing the shack down the steep
boat ramp will be a pain. I was thinking of going rigid and using galvanized pipe and smashing the ends to make an a-frame, but i am not
certain it will take the pull weight. Perhaps i could put a chain inside the pipe? Looking for some recommendations as I want to keep things
simple and cost effective. I don't have a welder. I plan to use my side-by-side to tow once on the ice.  Suggestions?

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: pull system for 8x11 shack
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2022, 03:25 PM »
How long and how steep is this boat ramp?  The hut might just push the SxS with no way of stopping or controlling it. 

Offline aspire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2022, 04:14 PM »
The ramp is 16 feet wide and about 20 feet long with armor stone on each side... id say it is at 35 angle, but is also at the base of the hill as the land slopes from the top down due to the cottage situated on high ground. Overall the slope is probably 60 feet in total.  The sxs getting overwhelmed is my worry as well. It seems like i need to get it to the top of the hill, and then gently control the descent somehow. Here is a pic of the shack

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2022, 10:37 AM »
I built an 8x11 shanty with 2x2 framing and foam sheathing. I have attempted to minimize the weight as much as possible. The base has two 2x10 runners on each side with HPDE plastic on the bottom making two 8" wide skis. This shack is at a cottage and will only be dragged down a boat ramp onto the lake and then put away in the spring. I need to build a pull system for it. I lag bolted 4 feet of angle iron 1/4 inch thick and 3.5 wide on the inside of each ski to add strength and provide pulling points. I estimate the shack is below 1500 lbs. I could just drill holes in the angle iron ends and use chains, but managing the shack down the steep boat ramp will be a pain. I was thinking of going rigid and using galvanized pipe and smashing the ends to make an a-frame, but i am not certain it will take the pull weight. Perhaps i could put a chain inside the pipe? Looking for some recommendations as I want to keep things simple and cost effective. I don't have a welder. I plan to use my side-by-side to tow once on the ice.  Suggestions?

It's much safer to pull a shack that size & weight with a strong rigid tow bar of some kind, especially when hauling on glare ice or going down any icy slopes. You already have a good start with the pulling points on the skids. I purchased an adjustable tow bar https://www.princessauto.com/en/class-iii-adjustable-a-frame-tow-bar/product/PA0008041550 on sale and attached to some lumber reinforcement that I added between the skids of my 5 x 10 ft hardside. Works great and I don't worry about the shack smashing into the rear of my side-by-side or pickup when going down a hill or stopping.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2022, 04:40 PM »
I suggest you put a solid hitch on it now, no matter what it takes, you don't want that thing hitting your S X S.  I helped and watched the neighbor pull his shack with a rope over the years, it almost always ended up hitting his pickup truck when going down hill.  This year he had to put new skids on the shack, so at the same time made a solid hitch, it worked great.

I have always had solid hitches, no problems pulling them with the snowmobile or side X side and no fear of crashing into you when you are going down hill or slowing down. This is a picture of my shack going down the hill to the lake, no issues with the solid hitch.

Offline aspire

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2022, 11:40 PM »
Thanks all for the advice!

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2022, 06:52 PM »
Solid hitch is the way to go.  Just make sure you have enough machine and traction to go up and down the hills needed to get to the ice.

"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline timr35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2022, 04:23 PM »
I lagged a angle iron U shape frame with two tow loops on the front to tow my hut with a strap ,
 I made a second one for the back to slowly lower my hut down the boat launch, total control decent with my truck using a long tow strap.
Once on the ice I hook the short strap to my quad and away I go , just have to slow down easy so it doesn't hit you.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.