The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Size Hooks?  (Read 2816 times)

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
Re: Size Hooks?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:31 AM »
Headed up to a lake opening this weekend. I generally use size 4 snell hooks the big togue I have caught were barely lip hooked which is good because I could release them nice and quick but have lost more than caught. Should I be using a bigger hook like a size 2..fishing with 4+" Shiners and suckers I hate leaving a hook in a fish do circle hooks work well ice fishing..If so what size?  Thanks
Where your going.. stick with the #4 they work well  #6 or 8 for salmon  :)
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:40 AM »
Depends on the type of hook, too.

Size 6 is fine for brookies I use the Gamagatzu ones and they're pretty low profile. For togue I'll run size 4 for most baits, but larger, more sturdy hooks for the larger baits.

You can always find me where the wind breaks.

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #32 on: Jan 31, 2013, 01:28 PM »
With big bait you can still use small hooks.

Offline MadSledder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:12 PM »
I generally use #6 eagle claw bait holders (not that I need the bait holders for shiner and smelt but whatever). If I'm targeting large touge or pike I may step up to a 4 or 2.  With touge/brookies/salmon and I plan on releasing a lot of fish tough, I step down to #8 at biggest. I hope for a lip hook, but if they swallow it, I just snip the line and hope the smaller hook causes less harm.

I experimented with circles for a time but was unhappy, and went back to J hooks. Ive had fewer "gushers" when using small hook sizes, and still have good hookup ratios. I reason that cutting the line on a small hook must be better than a large hook for the fish, although I have no idea if there is any difference in long term survival to back that up.
Gotta Fishem' All!

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #34 on: Jan 31, 2013, 02:27 PM »
 I use #4 Mustad Bronze Snelled Hooks. They work great for pike fishing an they will rust away in less than a week when directly in water. They are the best for catch and release.

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Jan 31, 2013, 08:12 PM »
Caught in late July.  I have no way of knowing for sure but I suspect it was released during icefishing season.

(Image removed from quote.)
Was that DB Smelt purple on the other side?/ My favorite... Marcel
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline lunkahville

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 01, 2013, 01:45 AM »
I generally use #6 for trout and salmon but will change over to a #2 when togue fishing. The few togue I have caught on the "big" hooks have never been gill or gut hooked.
Fishing is like playing at Carnegie Hall, when your good your good. But do you know how to get to Carnegie Hall? PRACTICE!

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #37 on: Feb 04, 2013, 08:23 AM »
 Here is what I use.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.