The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: crappie question  (Read 406 times)

Offline TroutKing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
crappie question
« on: Feb 03, 2013, 02:43 PM »
Hello all,

I know there are a few on the site who don't like when people ask for tip-type questions, but I need some help. I've given the trial and error thing a couple of weeks now, and I CAN'T SEEM TO CATCH LARGER CRAPPIE. I caught 25-30 of them this morning, but only 2 were worth keeping. I'll post some pics later. I find them on the vex, and I can hook up pretty regularly, but most of what I am catching are 5-7 inch babies. Using different lures tipped with waxworms and mealworms. I absolutely love them, but would like to get more for the frypan. You can PM me, if you like, but please, I need some tips. Thanks.

TK

Offline COLD-AS-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: crappie question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2013, 02:56 PM »
keep some of the smaller ones this year, and next year you may find some larger ones. All those small guys are too much competition for food for the bigger guys

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2013, 02:58 PM »
just be thankful you caught some. We cant find em yet.

Offline bdonaghy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Prob too many in there & their stunted. But some ponds will never produce large crappie. Imo it takes large water, with some deep muddy holes & the right amount of forage to produce big crappie. Try another pond. If you can catch 5-7" ones you can certainly catch 16" ones but not if their not there to be caught.

Offline fishless12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2013, 04:32 PM »
Try a different pond.
You can always find me where the wind breaks.

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2013, 07:51 AM »
If your catching small ones your doing everything right,its just that maybe that's whats in the pond mostly are small ones.there is no special trick for catching big/or small..

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Try jigging a few feet above where there are suspending,  we often find the pod of smaller fish in 20fow suspended 11 feet down, if we jig at 5-7 feet we catch slabs.  The big fish might be there but you're dropping your jig past them.  I've always had better success catching the better fish higher in the water column.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.