Author Topic: Yes or no  (Read 2233 times)

Offline shantyman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yes or no
« on: Nov 11, 2008, 07:38 PM »
This question came up between me and my friends last week. Before a derby starts is it allright to mark where you are going to drill your holes by placing cones or small logs so some one doesn't get that spot. Were only talking for derbies that start at midnight or daybreak? I said yes but what do you guys think. ???
Ice fishin DOsen't GET any BETTER!!

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Yes or no
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2008, 07:52 PM »
I'd say no - but that's just me.  I guess if you want to mark 'em and be the first one there it would be OK but I don't think a mark should "save" a spot on the open ice. I just believe that public spaces should not be "reservable".  Maybe amongst friends.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2008, 08:05 PM »
I'd say no as well, thats like throwing out markers on the lake, that say "mine", I would move the cone and drill If i got there first

Offline joeybutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2008, 08:08 PM »
no way...fist come first to fish!!!! ;D

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2008, 08:12 PM »
No way you need to get up early like all the diehards.If you have a spot you want to be in you might want to spend the night.

Offline jiggah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2008, 08:18 PM »
If you want fish a certain spot, you better be darn sure you get there before i do, because i'll just use the cones for goal posts when we play perch hockey!! ;D
It's not the size that matters! Wait, yeah it is!!!!!!

Offline litch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2008, 08:24 PM »
Would say no if you want certain spot get there Early

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2008, 08:37 PM »
If you are marking and then leaving I say no. If you mark and stay till the start of a derby/contest I would say that is ok. I have been to a contest and there holes are drilled with there tip ups sitting by them.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2008, 08:39 PM »
No way...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2008, 08:45 PM »
I have never been to one that starts very early in the morning. Ours usually stsrt 9-10 am and we are getting there around 15 min. before the start. So who knows how long people had been out there before we got there.

Offline jiggah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 11, 2008, 08:52 PM »
I have never been to one that starts very early in the morning. Ours usually stsrt 9-10 am and we are getting there around 15 min. before the start. So who knows how long people had been out there before we got there.
thats the only bad part of ice fishing--the bite is usually better in a.m. than it is in p.m that's one reason i like to get out by dawn ::)
It's not the size that matters! Wait, yeah it is!!!!!!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2008, 04:52 PM »
This question came up between me and my friends last week. Before a derby starts is it allright to mark where you are going to drill your holes by placing cones or small logs so some one doesn't get that spot. Were only talking for derbies that start at midnight or daybreak? I said yes but what do you guys think. ???

Well it could work because on a few lakes I fish placing a cone out there is kind of a warning that the ice is unsafe. Logs aren't a great Idea especialy if someone gets hurt running into one with a sled or wheeler.

You should really just put a sign on a steak out there that says "This is my fishing spot, It fishes really good and I want to win the derby Please don't fish here".
Thx Shantyman1

Or just put a shanty out there a few days before, that would probably be your best option.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2008, 04:55 PM »
Last tourney we did we placed our traps out prior to the start. Everyone was so we joined in. I guess it's different with every tournet.

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2008, 05:52 PM »
I would say NO WAY!  The one thing you have to keep in mind is we don't own the ice (or water).  If that were the case do the people that have cottages own to the middle of the lake?  Should we ask for permission to fish, like we do to hunt.  I would say to respect and not fish on top of someone even if they are in the lucky or best spot.
;

Offline shantyman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2008, 05:23 PM »
ya i see what you guys mean  :tipup:
Ice fishin DOsen't GET any BETTER!!

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2008, 03:07 PM »
I would say no way. When ever I am fishing in a tournament i always plan on getting to my spot at least 2 hrs earlier than normal. That way knowone has a chance to get Terr first. I would say if you want a spot get out of bed and get there before anyone else does. From a personal experience if you mark a spot with something the ninth before and get there right at light 10 out of 10 times Simone else is going to be there.
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2008, 07:31 PM »
That would be assuming  EVERYONE is of the respectfull sort.  I would think that such thinking is just plain foolish, especially when it comes right down to winning something.  Especially when $$$$$$$$$$$$ is involved.  I say if you want a special spot,  HIDE IT.   Marking your good spots is like a huge flag saying hey heres a good spot but the guy who really wants to fish here is just plain lazy and cant get here first :-\

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2008, 10:11 AM »
----- and drill your holes a day ahead         I want to thank you in advance!  LOL
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.