Author Topic: happiness is shared and some advice to find more success  (Read 7657 times)

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: happiness is shared and some advice to find more success
« Reply #60 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:01 AM »
Saxmatt, that text about night fishing was for logicallycompromised, thought there might be some confusion as he didn’t answer back.

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #61 on: Feb 20, 2021, 07:03 AM »
Dam, over 2700 views lol

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 20, 2021, 09:29 AM »
[ if you are using a flasher i already generate more data than you which increases my ability to solve questions accurately.  i built rods which provide me an advantage over what most of you use; my line is another advantage over some. ]

You know if you would just stop claiming to be superior to everyone,  people wouldn't think you were such a bag.
  You're rods are not an advantage over what others use.
   You do not have access to special line that others can't obtain.
   The only thing you are good at is sounding like an arrogant bag.
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 20, 2021, 11:18 AM »
I'm going fishing. It makes me feel relaxed and less like complaining. I hope everyone else is going fishing too.  :tipup:

Offline TheJigginJerk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 20, 2021, 12:34 PM »
[ if you are using a flasher i already generate more data than you which increases my ability to solve questions accurately.  i built rods which provide me an advantage over what most of you use; my line is another advantage over some. ]

You know if you would just stop claiming to be superior to everyone,  people wouldn't think you were such a bag.
  You're rods are not an advantage over what others use.
   You do not have access to special line that others can't obtain.
   The only thing you are good at is sounding like an arrogant bag.

I don’t understand why everything is so secretive with this guy. He’s obviously a good fisherman but he’s scared people will steal his system or something. Why not just say you use 4 lb Power Pro Line and a St Croix rod or whatever. Not that it really matters anyways. Finding the fish in the first place is 90% of the problem.
I’m sure this discussion will be locked soon too.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Feb 20, 2021, 06:55 PM »
Saxmatt, that text about night fishing was for logicallycompromised, thought there might be some confusion as he didn’t answer back.
He’s probably still writing his response, it takes time to type 10,000 words 😆

Offline logicallycompromised

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 21, 2021, 07:12 AM »

i caught some nice fish after dark last night before my hands locked up.  i enjoy the challenge of it and had one good day with crappies after day last season.  finding new challenges is what keeps the excitement and motivates me back onto the ice.  you give me too much credit, i would agree however that collectively, we stand to reach a more accurate conclusion about our experiences than without.

i have only ever landed one walleye and it happened at end of november on open water with same system.  i had just caught a couple small pumpkinseeds within the last minute in about 20 fow when i dropped down and stopped the jig well short of bottom as the soft breeze would carry me closer to the boat launch.  within 3 seconds a large mark appeared and covered the ~ 5feet to the jig in a flash. i stayed glued to the screen like a moth and by the time i diverted my eyes to watch for the bite the fish has already crushed the jig and was heading to bottom; hooked itself.  memorable experience and day maybe one day we can share more of.

i have little doubt this active fish would have fallen for most lures.  i think this system may excel in difficult conditions; long cold fronts and/or mid day when they tend to be more reserved. outside of these times, i think there may be better more active ways to fish for walleye and catch larger specimens.  this year i am trying some trips to some amazing fisheries which have an established, naturally reproducing population of walleyes.  i hope to read a couple more paragraphs on the walleye chapter as i have only read the first word.
obligatory first walleye image suspect it was around 16.5"

may the laws of probability be in your favor!
do what they do, get what they get.
refinement reflects understanding...the more you know, they less you need.
science is love, science is life.
i enjoy fishing and happy to help others find similar or greater levels of joy and success; just need to reach out to me.
peace and long life!

https://www.instagram.com/logicallycompromised/

Offline thndrvlly

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Feb 22, 2021, 10:44 AM »
Logic- pm me, I can get you out nitetime if u want

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #68 on: Feb 22, 2021, 01:43 PM »
I would really like to see you get involved in bass fishing tournaments even as a co-angler. Take this system and use it there to see your results when there are many others going after the same prize. Its hard to call a system successful until you have something to compare it to at the same point in time. I think that would be far more scientific.
Just add water.

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 22, 2021, 06:36 PM »
I'm all for 'shared happiness' myself. I think it's great when people can share methods and tips with others. There are plenty of new fishermen or people new to the area that could use a nudge in the right direction. I grew up fishing with my Grandfather in Norther VT and I can't ever remember another fisherman not helping out those with questions. I have spent quite a while today trying to find out where I could bring my friend and his son out ice fishing for some Yellow Perch ( figuring they are easy to catch and the boy would have a good first experience )  and can't seem to find any tips, just wise cracks. The DEP isn't even publishing fishing reports due to Covid.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 22, 2021, 07:58 PM »
will do within the hour. thank you!

i do not think this system would fair well on the larger bass required to win tournaments outside of winter.  it works well on larger fish under ice because it can be still and looks like food; i.e. stays within small feeding bubble.  as soon as something small moves a little too much alarms go off and few larger fish will consistently make this losing proposition; the potential calories will not make up for the energy expanded.   i think it can do okay in the lull of the day on the more passive fish and will investigate it further on high quality new york fisheries. 

i agree with you that extensive testing is needed to safely reach the conclusion and i could be incorrect.  why i am confident is the willingness for most fish i can locate to feed and even give me a couple of chances i sometimes need to hook them.  the short time i used lures i could not keep the fishes attention and they would swim off after they pecked at it(did not look live enough and failed the taste test); this was one of the hints i ran with.  with time, i will find another objective fisherman i can trust who tolerates me and provides something in return for sharing something special.  i gave some ice fisherman a solid hint this year and one of their solutions should work great and better than anything you can buy.  i just needed to help shape the discussion a little as it was not on their mind. 

in 2003 my friend and i won the only bass tournament i ever entered on the ct river; i did not catch any of the bass this trip.  there is too much i do not like about the average bass fisherman and tournament angling to confirm where i stand.  i have a crude idea of my skills currently and with time and my own boat will get a better gauge as i compare to tournament results.  if i do not think i can win a tournament i would not bother entering it. my checklist is shorter and problem solving skills are better than average but this is not enough to make up for the time people have on specific water.

i have a post i was saving for wednesday which i have interest in heading to the midwest as there appears some high level ice fishing tournaments.  i would need to find someone out there to help with the logistics as i need to invest several weeks before i may even feel comfortable enough to enter. if i can not find winning fish i would not waste my money and time further.  these people would be able to tell the advantage one system has over the other and like my chances of finding one who is compatible and can relate higher with me.  this is something i will put some effort into over the next 5 years.  there is little doubt the system is superior but i do not think it is good enough to make up for the superior skills these top guys have over me.  with time i hope to get close enough the system can be the difference.

what part of the state do you live in? send me a pm and i or others can try and steer you in a safe direction.  most of our fisheries are delicate and most want to preserve their local resources for selfish reasons, i do the same.
i enjoy fishing and happy to help others find similar or greater levels of joy and success; just need to reach out to me.
peace and long life!

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:11 PM »
I have spent quite a while today trying to find out where I could bring my friend and his son out ice fishing for some Yellow Perch ( figuring they are easy to catch and the boy would have a good first experience )  and can't seem to find any tips, just wise cracks.
I’m new to the ice and couldn’t get on any species other than yellow perch this past weekend at Wethersfield Cove. There must have been 70 cars there when I left, so I don’t think anyone will object to my advising that spot for your friend’s son to get some flags. Medium minnows. Ideally releasing the plump females if they’re hooked clean since the spawn is starting.

Offline robertlbelrose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:16 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm in Ellington and they live in Willington. And PM sent logicallycompromised .

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 22, 2021, 08:46 PM »
i thought it was only the spot i fished which was hit hard.  i was literally the only one out there for the first couple of trips and on saturday had over 30 people fishing.

if they will be jigging and do not have electronics. just get down on the bottom and the perch will be aggressive if they are there.  you can move pretty quickly as you search for more active fish; no more than 90 seconds per hole.  try to locate a softer bottom your jig sinks into and almost gets stuck with green weeds in deeper water; not too deep but also not too shallow.  the fish will be most places but there is a preferred zone more will hangout; tip the odds in your favor and try to find these zones.  they will remain productive throughout the seasons, year after year with small adjustments as winter advances its grip.  if there are trout in the water fish the upper water column like from 1' to 8' below the ice even in deeper water; they are also more aggressive and less dependent on electronics.  i caught one trout saturday by leaving my jig in the water within maybe 6" of the bottom of the hole; nice bonus fish.  fishing a little more passively by jigging the same hole, high in the water column as you watch your tilts can catch nice bonus fish so long as trout are present.

if you are not sure about the fishery, i would recommend fishing even smaller as it tends to be safer decision to make in the winter.  a hungry fish will eat a smaller minnow provided it is close to them where it takes a more special set of circumstances to get fish to feed on larger minnows; more limiting with not as much benefits to justify the choice most of the time.

regardless of how it plays out, reflect on the experience and create a modified game plan moving forward.  these fisheries are not perfect but they can get a smile out of me sometimes.
be safe
peace and long life!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.