Author Topic: Is it just me or ..... (shanty weight)  (Read 21172 times)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Re: Is it just me or ..... (shanty weight)
« Reply #90 on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:09 AM »
... Exactly! as is the way with many things- sometimes if you want things done right you have to do it yourself. I think there is sufficient ingenuity on here to come up with lighter more simple designs than are available in stores.

I myself have made several shanties. My problem is finding the right materials to complete or see my ideas come to life. So many of my good ideas come to nothing because I simply don't need the amount of material ( minimum order) to make one shanty. I have been looking for a cheap plastic material like the blue roll up sleds. I found a large plastic company that would get me the stuff but they wanted to sell me an 800 foot roll. I am still looking! No matter what it is you are making, you will run into the same problems. Then settle for what you can find to get it done. That's how things improve year after year as materials become available.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #91 on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:43 AM »
Something you might want to try michiana...when talking with the company, tell them you are wondering if you can get a sample of the material. Tell them the minimum size/quanity you need and that if things work out you may end up buying more.

There have been a few times where I have needed just a small piece/quanity of something that I couldn't purchase, but calling them and telling them that if what they send works out I may be buying a larger amount. They are usually more then happy to send a sample of their product in the hopes of making a big sale.

Just a thought.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #92 on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:46 AM »
If I owned a sled or a quad, I sure as heck wouldn't waste any money on a manufactured shanty no matter what brand it is. I'd build a shanty custom without a doubt. That's the whole point of buying these "little" pullable shanties. The Clam Kodiak should go for no more than 200$ and the model under it should go for 150$ top. With all this unemployment and bad economy, they should make a "POOR BOY" model. But then everyone would buy a poor boy and the demand would be too great. I dont need a Cadillac shanty. Just want to fish. If you want to be that comfy........stay home. My Scout is looking pretty rough. I was considering an upgrade but not now, I'll just repair the scout and get a few more years out of it.
  Oshaver, have you checked the clam site????.....They are having a clearance on a few models(tents only-light house versions) very reasonable $50.00......I just purchased 3 Yukons ( for myself, son & friend).....We are gonna try to build our own w/ conduit.....Hopefully it will work out & we can safe a bunch $$$$$ ????       Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Nov 19, 2009, 09:11 AM »
  Oshaver, have you checked the clam site????.....They are having a clearance on a few models(tents only-light house versions) very reasonable $50.00......I just purchased 3 Yukons ( for myself, son & friend).....We are gonna try to build our own w/ conduit.....Hopefully it will work out & we can safe a bunch $$$$$ ????       Lou
no havent checked out their site. I just go to local bass pro shop. after looking around at other shanties i guess 300$ isnt alot. Afew years ago I paid 150$ for the scout. Maybe in a few more years they will be $600. I dont have an unlimited supply of $ or else I wouldnt care.  The nanook looks like a good deal for $300, being that its a 2 man or a big 1 man.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.