Author Topic: minnows?  (Read 886 times)

Offline lar

• IceShanty Rookie
minnows?
« on: Nov 02, 2013, 06:05 PM »
Just wondered how many guys have trapped there minnows.........betwee n heavy rains and the cold, creeks are done for them here in southern Ontario. I was caught a couple years ago for waiting to long. Only do that once!!!!................I'm sittin on 5 doz.........there really happy ones too!!!!! They can't wait to get on the lake!!!!!!

tightlines

L

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: minnows?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2013, 06:53 PM »
Up until a few years ago I had never bought minnows, we trapped all of them we could use. Them because of of some fish illness we can no longer do that unless we catch minnows from the lake that we are fishing on that day. The price of minnows bascally doubled as soon as the law was passed.
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2013, 08:39 PM »
I've been catching a few. I got about 20 dozen this A.M.. Wy has regulated the use of minnow too death. Minnow go for 4$ to 6$ a counted dozen. Hope I got enough for a while. Found a pound that's loaded. I'm hoping I can get em under the ice have never had much luck with that.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline ice cracker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Up until a few years ago I had never bought minnows, we trapped all of them we could use. Them because of of some fish illness we can no longer do that unless we catch minnows from the lake that we are fishing on that day. The price of minnows bascally doubled as soon as the law was passed.

sounds like a bunch a political nonsense to me

Offline Tug08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:33 PM »
I have a small beaver pond across from my house that is full of mostly northern red belly dace along with some shiners.  There is a brook that runs out of the pond that does not freeze so I have an excellent place to store them.  I have a 6 gallon pail that has a screw on cover and I drilled the top half of the pail full of holes.  With the current from the brook the pail gets fresh water 24 hours a day.  I had 300 or 400 bait in the pail from December through the end of March and I only lost 10 fish.  Bait here is around $4 per dozen.  I have 2 traps out right now in other places trying to get shiners.

Offline SnoHam13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2013, 09:45 PM »
I've been catching a few. I got about 20 dozen this A.M.. Wy has regulated the use of minnow too death. Minnow go for 4$ to 6$ a counted dozen. Hope I got enough for a while. Found a pound that's loaded. I'm hoping I can get em under the ice have never had much luck with that.

COUNTED? WoW the last shop that did that I told to keep them
is that how it is in other states???

Snoham13

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2013, 10:40 PM »
I wish I could catch my own but the law said no, but I heard they work better. Is that true?

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 03, 2013, 12:38 AM »
COUNTED? WoW the last shop that did that I told to keep them
is that how it is in other states???

Snoham13
You better believe it !!!  Here in NY you pay for a dozen.....that's EXACTLY what they give you !!!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 03, 2013, 01:15 AM »
I also live in NY. and have met IceBalls to give all of you a little more info. on our bait fish regulations here is a little back ground story. In 2007 under the order of some federal agency NY. and some other states were forced to change their laws. The majority of our bait fish are caught from the great lakes and then brought to NY. Some of these fish were found to have a viral disease called VHS (for short) brought here in the ballast water of European ships. The disease causes hemorrhaging of the blood vessels among other things. In 2007 NY. required all bait fish offered for sale to be tested and certified free of VHS. Any bait fish you trapped had to be used in the waters they were caught in with no over land transport. Around 2008 or 09 NY. limited us to a seven day possession of any bought bait fish and you received a dated receipt when you purchased the fish stating amount purchased and the species, Through the efforts of sportsmen's groups we have gotten the limit increased to ten days and personally trapped minnows may now be used in interconnected water ways and over land transport is allowed currently. I also believe any person can only purchase up to 9 dozen bait fish at one time.
  I have to look over the bait fish regulations again my post is from memory. To see the current regulations visit the NY. Department of Environmental Conservation (D.E.C.) website also if you go back through the NY.community you will find numerous threads about this situation. This is only one example of why we need stricter  laws concerning the exchange of ballast water on foreign ships and have to do all we can to stop invasive species.
Steve

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 04, 2013, 07:02 AM »
Worked my minnow traps around this weekend and found the "Mother load"! I've never caught some many. I'm not sure how all those minnows fit in one trap. I'm guessing over 100 dozen over the course of the weekend. Now if I can keep em alive all winter. I have a 10' by 8' by 3' deep koi pound. I'm going to look for a pound heater today.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 04, 2013, 08:14 AM »

I feel for you guys with your minnow prices. I went to my local bait shop to get a couple dozen minnows for the last couple of trips out for perch before pulling the boat. I asked for 2 dozen and paid $2.50 to the clerk. When I opened the bucket to bait up on the lake there were over 3 dozen in it. If I had ordered 3 dozen I would have paid way less per dozen had would have had probably 5 dozen.

I now alot of guys only want shiners but I prefer fat heads as they catch just as many perch and are way hardier.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.