The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: which auger ?  (Read 6163 times)

Offline jrsue

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
which auger ?
« on: Feb 11, 2004, 09:14 AM »
I just returned my strickmaster ultra, for two reasons.

First ,the throttle would stick, it appeared the return spring was not strong enough ,  at times the throttle would either not advance and a few times it would advance ,then not return to idle. I think I could have fixed it with either a stronger spring or just used a solid wire conection. however that would have voided any warrenty.

Second, There were times when I would have to rock, or lean heavily on it to get it to bite into the ice. Once it started cutting, it was very fast and smooth. As far as starting , running and idling, good power the ultra mag was great. I just wasnt sold on the 3 blades. I feel they iced more and werent angled aggressively enough.

So I returned it , no questions ask at Cabalas, however they were out of the strickmaster 2000 express the one I wanted. Question, is there any difference between the  Strickmaster standard 2hp 8 inch  and the Express 8 inch  ?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: which auger ?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2004, 10:03 PM »
Spend a few extra bucks and get the Nils Master. I can cut 24" in 9 seconds...it weighs 23# (with gas), uses a 50:1 mixture, can cut is up to 42" thick, and is fun as all hell to use. You can make some of your money back betting folks that your auger is faster then theres. ;) ;D

I have a video clip of mine vs. a jiffy in the "Auger Preference" post in the general chatter...check it out.

maine-ly backward

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2004, 07:14 AM »
Esox I'm keeping an eye on your posts concerning that Nils Master. When I first saw it I thought it was just the ticket, but couldn't justify the $500 it sells for. Meanwhile I'm abusing the h*ll out of my Jiffy but it just laughs and comes back for more.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2004, 06:55 AM »
Jigstick, you will spend difference between the Nils & Strikemaster on something foolish anyway. ;D ;D  Go for the Nils, you won't regret it for a minute!!!

Knife2sharp

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2004, 08:47 AM »
Esox, I can't find the "auger preference" thread in the general chatter section.  The only auger thread is the "Strikemaster laser hand ice auger" one. 

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2004, 12:50 PM »
Try this......Auger Race

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2004, 01:23 PM »
Both augers were 8"...Mine (Nils) is 23 lbs and the Jiffy was 43 lbs. I guess I'm missing your point. My point is my style of auger is faster, lighter, cuts more ice without an extention, and burns cleaner. New technology vs old.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2004, 05:51 PM »
Well.....

Nils are available in 4.5", 6" and 8". Any shop in the US can carry the product if they want. The product has been back on the US market for 2 years (this is the second). These augers were used in the late 80's and early 90's mostly in Canada.

Parts for Tanaka motors are not hard to find. Go to any equipment rental shop and look what they use for equipment. Ask if they have parts for a Tanaka 262...I bet they will. They are commercial use motors....that is why you probably have not seen them at the Home Depot.

Extensions...Do you ever need to drill over 42" of ice? Who would want to wrestle with a 42# Jiffy with a 50" auger shaft? 

So I guess you got me...If you want a to cut a 10" hole through 50" of ice, spend 10 minutes doing it and throw your back out in the process due to the weight....then your jiffy is a better choice.

I've spent 20+ years using those damn things.Now I have something that is easy on my back and I can spend more time fishing and less time drilling holes. I will NEVER go back to one of the old style augers.

Use what you want........when you are drilling holes, look around. I'll be the guy with my lines in the water. ;) ;D

Over and out.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #8 on: Feb 17, 2004, 07:04 PM »
   I agree with Esox 100 % . I had a severe back injury a few years back and I'm lucky I can ice fish at all. It's nice being able to decrease the weight by at least 10 lbs on the auger and have it cut as good if not better than my old power auger (SM Mag 2000).
   As for parts availability - no problem here . You can check on their website for locations - I have several authorized repair centers within 30 minutes.
 This is the second season with mine and I've had only one problem and it was a faulty blade - which NM replaced at no charge.
  I've been egged and told it's a toy until the guys see it run. One friend has the Eskimo Shark in 10" and he was shocked at how light it is and how fast it cuts. Granted my Nils is 2" smaller in cutting diameter but it's also about 20 lbs lighter.
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #9 on: Feb 17, 2004, 07:41 PM »
Lone Wolf,
You are one of the reasons I went with the Nils. I spent a full year looking at augers before I got this one. I had narrowed it down to 3 at the beginning of this season. The 3 were the Normark/Husqvarna, Nils, and the Strikemaster Laser Mag Express. I ruled out the Normark, due to the price (Well over $500) and the fact I would have to buy it in Canada. So I was down to the Nils and Strikemaster. Both weighed about the same....the Nils had stiffer blade/auger assembly, used a 50:1 high RPM Tanaka motor (I've used these on tree tappers for years), and came with a handle so I could use it as a manual auger in the early season when I need to make really long hikes.

The other reason is the shop told me if I did not like it I could return it.....As soon as I cut the 1st hole, there was no way this thing was going back. I punched more holes that day then I care to count. I don't think I have ever been happier with a purchase. I have not picked up a chipper auger since...and I hope I never have to.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 17, 2004, 09:07 PM »
Lone Wolf & Esox, I agree with both of you, in that I have run a Tanaka unit for 15 years, with no mechanical problems.  It digs like a mad badger.  Even the Husky's have a problem keeping up with the speed that I can go through the ice, not that I really give a rat's patoot.  I like the weight and the ease with it will start, even at -30C.  I wish that you down south could see my oldie in action, mixed with Opti2 & Shell premium!!!!

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18, 2004, 01:06 PM »
Nils is certainly not the only auger on the market and all others are not junk. But I prefer it for the reasons I stated. I had the SM Mag 2000 and was happy with it but if I can lighten the load by 10 lbs or more and get the same results (if not better) it's a win/win situation. ;D
PS I'm hauling everything on foot ! :(

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 18, 2004, 04:18 PM »
cider the wheeler makes a big difference ! I'm sure if you were on foot you would agree with the advantages I stated previously of the NM auger.
Either way a bad day of ice fishing is better than a good day at work ! ;)

Offline iceman99

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2004, 09:54 PM »
i think i hit a rock or something drilling in some shallow water with my nils master today because after that it don't cut for you know what. anyone have  any ideas on what to do or do have to get  anew cutting head for it?

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2004, 07:37 AM »
Iceman99,
I replied in your other post...

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2004, 08:16 AM »
I bought my SM lazer mag Ultra because at the time thats what was available to me. I have had limited problems, but I may buy a Nils next year. Not sure yet. I also have a bad back from a bad car accident and got rid of my heavy augers for the Mag Ultra. Pretty big weight difference. If the Nils is even lighter it could help me even more. After I followed you Esox and Lonewolf's posts about the Nils I am almost sorry I didn't wait for the Nils.

Brian

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2004, 08:52 AM »
Hey jrsue. The first thing to do would be to take that piece of s*** Tecumseh engine off the auger, tie a chum bag to it and drop it down the hole. Until Strike master starts using Echo engines, I would use something else. I still enjoy my Mora hand auger.

MackAttack

« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2004, 08:54 PM »
I know you guys are talking gas auger's but I have a NM 8" hand auger and its the fastest cutting hand auger I have ever seen. I can easily drill through 16" of ice in a very short time. Cabelas claims 20" in a minute. Don't know if I can do that but it is fast. :-*

Offline yukonman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2004, 01:27 PM »
I know you guys are talking gas auger's but I have a NM 8" hand auger and its the fastest cutting hand auger I have ever seen. I can easily drill through 16" of ice in a very short time. Cabelas claims 20" in a minute. Don't know if I can do that but it is fast. :-*

Hey MacAttack, do you use the swede-bore or the fin-bore? My buddy has an 8" Swede Bore, and it's just not cutting it when we're going through 3 feet of ice. I was thinking about picking up an 8" fin-bore for about $100.00 Canadian.

yukonman

MackAttack

« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2004, 09:19 PM »
I believe its the Fin-Bore. Nils master is made in Finland I know that. How could I tell the difference? I used to have a Mora and that was nothing but a headache when the ice got thick. Sure wish we could get 3 feet of ice around here. That would be something. We only get about 14" or so on the lake here and its all but unfishable as we speak.

Offline crappieman12887

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love them crappies!!!!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2004, 09:42 PM »
well i built my auger out of a tanaka model 210 gas drill,and if you were to look a your nills you would see not much differents in the power heads the only thing is i used a 4.5 lazer bit on mine,also i think if jiffy changed there gear reductoin box they would cut alot faster.maybe heaveir but the do have more rpms but out.bill

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.