The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Auger  (Read 2236 times)

Offline fishin fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • give 'em a shake
Auger
« on: Nov 25, 2003, 09:46 PM »
Last year I saw a guy out on the ice that had an auger that I had never seen before.  It had what looked like a melon baller on the end of it.  Does anyone know anything about these?
t'pup!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Auger
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2003, 10:20 PM »
Melon baller is about right. You were looking at a throwback, old school if you will. Its called a cup-type auger. It had a little blade at the tip of the auger and you had to cut as deep as the cup. Then scoop that out. Then cut. Then scoop. I saw one a few years ago and tried to buy it but the guy wanted $50 and I only had like $35 on me. They worked but todays augers are huge advances. I member when the Mora was a gift from Heaven and my Dad would go borrow his buddies when his buddy couldnt go with us. Now look what we think of the Mora.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline jp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2003, 02:39 AM »
I have a 6" spoon. I use it for a back up if auger breaks down. I like it because it is super light and takes up no space. i'm not saying that it is better then the newer hand augers but it cuts alot better then my 8" mora. I also have a 8" spoon but it is dull and does not cut so good.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2003, 08:36 AM »
Boy...Does that bring back memories. All growing up I used a spoon auger. If kept sharp, they were pretty fast. You use them just like a newer auger, they just had to be sharpened more often. In the late 70' my dad finally broke down and got a 8" power auger. Sure made this boy a happy camper.

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2003, 06:51 PM »
Esox;
Those sure are sore memories!! The only angling we did in the early 70's was out of the spear holes that were cut with a chisel. Those spoon augers were a gift from above, LOL!

The worst words to hear growing up... "the boy'll do it."

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2003, 08:36 PM »
LOL....I seemed to block out the memory of the pain.  ;) The things we did when we were young. ;D

"I use to be young and stupid....Now I ain't so young anymore."

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2003, 08:46 PM »
If I remember right, they were called Sweedish spoons. After spudding a hole, a nearby fisherman let me borrow his spoon, I thought nothing could be better! Then came the augers.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.