The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Best power auger without a budget?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline boho607

• IceShanty Rookie
Best power auger without a budget?
« on: Jan 08, 2019, 10:04 PM »
What power auger would you buy? I’m thinking about the Strikemaster with Honda 4 stroke. Anyone recommend that one?

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best power auger without a budget?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2019, 04:48 AM »
Look on the for sale page. There's a steal on there
Jig em up!

Offline phil2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:08 AM »
For me i have the jiffy stealth sts pro light. Love it never had a issue in 5 yrs i have owned it. I have drilled allot!!!!! Of holes with it. And if i have to buy a new one it would be the same thing. Got 5 yrs out of the first set of blades put new on for this yr. Friend has the 3 hp model 30 i can out drill him 3 to 1 with it. Another has the new Eskimo 3 to 1 with him also.

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:03 AM »
I have the honda 4stroke for years. Its just as light as the lithium n dont have to mess with batterys going cold or needing to be replaced. I run the 4stroke non ethanol that comes in a can. Starts right up every year.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:19 AM »
I've had the  strike master Honda light  ...it has never and I fish a lot in all kinds of weather never taken more then 2 pulls to start  cuts great  no mixing gas  I love it 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:36 AM »
No budget?
Strike Master Lithium  40 volt..   ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:56 AM »
I use a Strikemaster/Honda and can't say one bad thing about it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2019, 07:02 AM »
K-drill, clam plate (optional), and a Milwaukee Fuel Drill. Light, no gas, and it rips through the ice.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2019, 07:04 AM »
My dad has the strikemaster Honda 4 stroke. Its a great gas auger..

I have the Strikemaster Lithium 40v and its amazing. Unless you plan on being away from power where you cant charge a battery for days on end, this auger is just amazing. Ive had mine out for two days in a row this year, left the battery outside in the cold,  cut probably 40 holes in that time  and the battery power did not drop even one bar. Its a beast. And performance? I will take on any gas auger out there in a race. The thing absolutely rips ice.

Offline Dtinsf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2019, 08:28 AM »
I vote for the honda/strike master 4 stroke.  It's my favorite by far. Easy to start, cut a like a dream, no mixing gas...

Also, I own the kdrill powered by milwaukee fuel, mag 2000, nils hand auger, & a srikemaster 2 stroke laser. I do have an auger problem & I'm happy to admit; I don't feel bad about it.😉

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:18 AM »
I like my Strikemaster/Honda so much that I haven't been convinced to spend a bunch of money to go electric because gas augers are "obsolete".  Electric cars haven't impressed me even though their followers say internal combustion engines are obsolete. :o ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:27 AM »
My dad has the strikemaster Honda 4 stroke. Its a great gas auger..

I have the Strikemaster Lithium 40v and its amazing. Unless you plan on being away from power where you cant charge a battery for days on end, this auger is just amazing. Ive had mine out for two days in a row this year, left the battery outside in the cold,  cut probably 40 holes in that time  and the battery power did not drop even one bar. Its a beast. And performance? I will take on any gas auger out there in a race. The thing absolutely rips ice.
I bought one last November when they had the free extra battery deal going on.

Single best ice fishing purchase I've ever made. Most holes in one day was 88 in 24+ inches of ice on Triboji, one battery and it was only down to two bars. I kept track of the number of holes to see what it'd do.

It's also faster than any gas auger out there, no fuel, no noise, no f'n around with bad carbs trying to start it.

I have had 3 different gas augers in my life, 2 Strikemasters (one used when I started, one I bought new), and 1 Jiffy propane. The 40v puts all of them to shame. Push a button, drill your hole.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:28 AM »
I own what I consider to be the ultimate, no limits auger. A 6" K-Drill with extension on a Milwaukee Mud Mixer with a 9ah battery and a Cold Snap cover.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline blackmer826

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:35 AM »
I am a fan of my Ion auger. As northernnyice said, unless you can't charge the battery, these are the way to go IMO. Light, fast, and no mess and no carb rebuild.

luv2fish2

« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:46 PM »
i have a milwaukee / clam plate / 8" kdrill and multiple 12ah batteries i also have an eskimo z51 ( great gas auger ) but i will never go back to gas again so nice to just squeeze a trigger no worries so simple ;D

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:54 PM »
If you're asking what I would buy? Strikemaster 40 volt 8" auger with a couple extra batteries (because money is no object). Otherwise for a reasonable outfit I'd get exactly what I have now, Clam plate with mora auger and a cordless drill with a few extra batteries. I have less than $300 in my rig and I can cut 2000+ inches of ice with a 7" auger without charging batteries.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2019, 03:57 PM »
No budget?
Strike Master Lithium  40 volt..   ;)
x-2 Best auger I have ever used.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:39 PM »
Jiffy all the way. Have mine about 8 to 10 yrs no issues. When I go I drill about 50 to 60 holes every time.  My dad bought a jiffy back in the late 70s and it still runs great. I just upgraded. I did see a ion being used 2yrs ago and they had to drill 70 to 80 holes. I couldnt belive it, the battery lasted that long. But I don't know how long the batterys last and how much they are to replace.jiffy is around a long time.

Offline Iceattic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 09, 2019, 05:56 PM »
Jiffy all the way. Have mine about 8 to 10 yrs no issues. When I go I drill about 50 to 60 holes every time.  My dad bought a jiffy back in the late 70s and it still runs great. I just upgraded. I did see a ion being used 2yrs ago and they had to drill 70 to 80 holes. I couldnt belive it, the battery lasted that long. But I don't know how long the batterys last and how much they are to replace.jiffy is around a long time.

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:20 PM »
Tanaka 350 powerhead on a Strikemaster bit.

Tanaka/Strikemaster on the left and Tanaka 270/Strikemaster Mora on the right.

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline Theshad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:27 PM »
Unlimited budget? This.

Offline Maddog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2019, 06:36 PM »
Unlimited budget? This.

Now that's funny