The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: HT Mini Nero  (Read 16184 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
HT Mini Nero
« on: Dec 24, 2017, 07:59 AM »
OK I got mine in the Mail yesterday and I like it. Haven't used it yet but looks to be well built to me. It comes with the extension that allows you to attach a drill to it and the Handle that attaches to the extension. And I already checked and the Extension and handle works with my Eskimo Silvertip auger. I will try it out right after Christmas and report back. FishUSA has the Mini Nero for $94.99 which I think is the cheapest. Ht has it for $77 but it is $36 plus for shipping.
https://www.fishusa.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Mini-Nero-Telescopic-Russian-Hand-Auger
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: HT Mini Nero
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2017, 08:33 AM »
One more thing about this Mini Nero. I measured outside to outside and it is 7.5" wide not 7".  So with that said I am hoping my Ridgid Drill I bought is up to the task. It is the 700 "# model.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2017, 06:40 PM »
Ok check out this video of my first try out with this hand auger. This is 12" of ice. And I am still getting used to how to use the offset handles.
&feature=youtu.be
<===Lefty===

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2017, 07:20 AM »
offset handles do take getting used to for sure.think you can drill a hole effortless like the Russian did in his vid?is it smooth enough to do?thats what impressed me about the nero.lol it showed  no pressure was needed to easily cut a hole.smoooth.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2017, 08:14 AM »
Once I get used to it I am sure I could sit down and drill. I have never drilled holes like this did. I usually have to put pressure down and really struggle with my other hand augers. I only drilled 6 holes but it was like waving my arms with no effort.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2017, 06:03 PM »
Took this this out with the drill for the first time today.  All I can say is WOW. With my Eskimo Z51 and new blades I can drill faster then it with this Mini Nero by twice as fast.
I was drilling 12" today and never had the thought of timing it but if I did I would have to say it went threw in 6 or 7 Seconds. I will time it tomorrow. The first time I almost ripped my hand off. I just feather the trigger of the Ridgid and it still drills faster than anything I have ever seen.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2017, 01:48 AM »
did the drill sound like it was working hard? any signs of it struggling? 4amp battery right?

i like the bladed design and being short.

thanks for the reviews!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2017, 05:08 AM »
No the drill had no problem at all. Even when I just feathered it threw the ice it went fast. Yes 4 amp batteries. I got one extra for free.(3 total)  Another thing I like about it is it has 3 adjustable heights – 62", 53", and 44".  One thing I forgot to try and that would be reverse to clean out the holes. I will give it a try today.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:45 AM »
thanks again! sounds like a nice auger for sure. makes me want to grab one.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2017, 04:25 PM »
Had the wife video me drill a hole today threw 12" of ice. Half throttle it took 6 seconds. Saw 2 guy's holding down an Eskimo Barracuda today and kept drilling the same hole forever. Several minutes. I took my drill and auger over there and one of them told the other here comes a guy with a hand auger. I asked them if they wanted me to drill them some holes. Once they saw the drill one guy said I heard people were using drills. How does that work. I said where do you want a hole and he said right there is fine. 6 seconds later he hollowed at he friend and said" Did you see that?" I told them it was a new product out this year and was made in Russia. I then said do you want more holes. and I drilled one more for him. I then told him his blades were dull and told him how to sharpen them. Not sure it was just the blades or if he and his friend had bent something since it was clear they were pressing down very hard on it.  I already have my Z51 up for sale on Craigslist.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2017, 07:48 PM »
i've seen that too. folks making all of that noise for a long time just to try to make one hole. we have three cut and fishing already before they get one made.

good news on the blades lefty, they are only 13$.  less than half the cost of most blades.
https://www.fishusa.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Mini-Nero-Russian-Hand-Auger-Replacement-Blades

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2017, 11:25 PM »
No the drill had no problem at all. Even when I just feathered it threw the ice it went fast. Yes 4 amp batteries. I got one extra for free.(3 total)  Another thing I like about it is it has 3 adjustable heights – 62", 53", and 44".  One thing I forgot to try and that would be reverse to clean out the holes. I will give it a try today.

I don't reverse to clean the holes, I just pull up with the trigger still engaged when done with the hole

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2017, 06:24 AM »
i've seen that too. folks making all of that noise for a long time just to try to make one hole. we have three cut and fishing already before they get one made.

good news on the blades lefty, they are only 13$.  less than half the cost of most blades.
https://www.fishusa.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Mini-Nero-Russian-Hand-Auger-Replacement-Blades
You know I was looking at buying one more set of blades. Already have one spare but who knows if they continue to sell this great auger. I looked at FishUSA and those are for 6" augers and I have the 7".  Sportsmansguide does have them for $13.99 though. I first extra set were only $9.99 from HT but since they have raised the price to $17.99 which is still cheaper than most other blades out there.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2017, 08:32 AM »
Forgot to mention my New Ridgid Drill drilled a total of 21 holes threw 12" of ice and used 1/4 battery life of the 4 amp battery.  This auger is called a 7" but it measures 7.5" across outside to outside. I will have to measure a hole someday if I remember to.
<===Lefty===

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:46 PM »
Sounds awesome!

<°)))>{

Offline FreaknFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:43 AM »
I have one. Drilled about 20 holes and the blades chipped up pretty bad. Going to order another set and baby it. See how long they will last. I don't slam the blades at all so I'm not sure why they chipped up. Wasn't dirty ice. If the next set don't last I'll be getting rid of it for a Nils or K-drill.  Out of the box it cut ice like butter.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:49 AM »
I have one. Drilled about 20 holes and the blades chipped up pretty bad. Going to order another set and baby it. See how long they will last. I don't slam the blades at all so I'm not sure why they chipped up. Wasn't dirty ice. If the next set don't last I'll be getting rid of it for a Nils or K-drill.  Out of the box it cut ice like butter.

Did you use it to check ice thickness near the shore where everyone walks onto the ice?

<°)))>{

Offline FreaknFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2018, 11:51 AM »
No I was in 8-9 feet of water a few hundred yards off shore on a private lake.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:00 PM »
No I was in 8-9 feet of water a few hundred yards off shore on a private lake.

Shoot! I always see guys checking the ice/testing augers in the same area that everyone throws rocks to test the thickness early ice. Great spot to ruin your blades..

<°)))>{

Offline manitron2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:01 PM »

Let us know the outcome. Thanks
Get off the fence and protect your rights!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:48 PM »
Well I have around 45-50 Holes drilled so far and this is what mine look like.

<===Lefty===

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2018, 12:52 PM »
 I ordered a 7 inch Nero from Reeds on Thursday based on what lefty2053 has experienced. I just sold my 8 inch Nils that I haven't used in a few years, since I went to the Clam drill plate and basic Eskimo auger (non-Silvertip) I just want a better performing compact and lightweight auger to go with the Clam plate. The Nils is a big auger (13 lbs) and the unique cutting head required either a replacement or a shipment to a skilled sharpener when it got dull or bent from friends  >:( who applied to much downward pressure.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:58 PM »
I have been showing this auger off to other people on the ice. I showed it off to a guy with a 4" Nils that didn't cut as fast as this does. He did say it was a new auger he just got but was using an older Dewalt drill with it. I never apply any pressure on this thing as once it crabs the ice it just goes threw it.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:58 PM »
When you say you are going to baby it, does that mean you were rough on the first set?
<===Lefty===

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:26 PM »
Wanted to give this thread a little bump.  I might be in the market soon for a new auger and the 7” nero is looking like a top contender. 

Anyone else using this auger? Thoughts?   

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2018, 10:38 PM »
If I were in the market, I think that's what I would get! Still want one!

Offline FreaknFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:16 AM »
When you say you are going to baby it, does that mean you were rough on the first set?
Nope. But I'll be extra careful with its glass blades. New blades should be here in a few days as well as my new Nils convertible auger.

Offline Aqualift

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:58 AM »
Nope. But I'll be extra careful with its glass blades. New blades should be here in a few days as well as my new Nils convertible auger.

If you think the Nero had glass blades and the Nils doesn't, you are in for a rude awakening. I owned a Nils. You will have to baby the cutting head on it. The head is very tough, but the actual cutting edge is razor sharp and razor thin.

Offline FreaknFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:20 AM »
I already know the nils is fragile.  I also know I can sell it for damn near what I paid if I don't like it.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Does anyone know the actual size of the 5 and 6 inch?
Sounds like the Russians made a good auger. Now if they could only make a garbage can!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.