The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Husqvarna ice augers?  (Read 36634 times)

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Husqvarna ice augers?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:59 PM »
jiggy,

Have you seen any decent deals on the newer units?  I have a contact near Ottawa who could secure one for me, but I'm thinking if I am going to go through the hassle I should get the latest and greatest.  One thing that he has found is that "most Hardware stores can get these as special order and price is dictated by mfr" 

Could you remind me again what changes were made between this one and the current units please?

What size cutter is with this sale unit?

I just checked lebarons and the new ones are going for $813.94 for the 8inch and $845.94 for the 10inch!  I don't remember what size bit that was on the older one that was on sale. The one on sale is the same as mine in the video I posted with the wrap around handle! The new ones have a funny handle bar style handle. The powerhead is a little differant but I think its just the plastic and other than that the bit and gear case are the same!http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_fall11/normark_icedrill.pdf

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:58 AM »
I just checked lebarons and the new ones are going for $813.94 for the 8inch and $845.94 for the 10inch!  I don't remember what size bit that was on the older one that was on sale. The one on sale is the same as mine in the video I posted with the wrap around handle! The new ones have a funny handle bar style handle. The powerhead is a little differant but I think its just the plastic and other than that the bit and gear case are the same!http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_fall11/normark_icedrill.pdf
Still alot of money for a 24.5cc low power unit, I will be keeping my 85cc 3hp barracuda that will spin the lake around of need be, sorry but I watched a video of the husqvarna on youtube and I am not impressed at the speed, think I could hand drill faster. LOL, that said I'm sure these unit will last 2 lifetimes and they are quality units, but there is no replacement for displacement.
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:07 AM »

Having seen both do you have a preference?

Is your fuel cap green like the new ones?  Do they call teh engine E tech?  The new ones are said to have a catalyst muffler.  Probably not much of a big deal for ice drilling, but in the chainsaw world they are pretty  much hated. 

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:52 AM »
Still alot of money for a 24.5cc low power unit, I will be keeping my 85cc 3hp barracuda that will spin the lake around of need be, sorry but I watched a video of the husqvarna on youtube and I am not impressed at the speed, think I could hand drill faster. LOL, that said I'm sure these unit will last 2 lifetimes and they are quality units, but there is no replacement for displacement.

Its a bit small for a 10" flighting I agree but I think speedwise it would be much closer than you would think not to mention its only 1/4 of the effort. You might save 3 seconds a hole but the husky will likely have 5+ holes drilled before you get yours started anyways if its anything like my buddies eskimos.

With an 8" flighting it drills just a hair faster than my jiffy does which is fine by me, im not out there to race augers im out there to fish. Reliability and ease of drilling is what sets theses apart from the older/bigger augers.

Not gonna lie though, I wouldnt sell an 85cc auger if I had one either. They will likely never make another unit that big, and I love the simplicity of the old machines. I doubt I will ever sell my jiffy, its been too good to me.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:29 AM »

Its all about the gearing!  Just to compare Ive seen little Suzuki samurai's turning 36+ inch tires that full sized v8 powered trucks couldn't turn!  If it's geared properly it will spin them all day long!

Offline TheFishstick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 05, 2012, 10:01 PM »
Having seen both do you have a preference?

Is your fuel cap green like the new ones?  Do they call teh engine E tech?  The new ones are said to have a catalyst muffler.  Probably not much of a big deal for ice drilling, but in the chainsaw world they are pretty  much hated.

Better act fast, only 1x 8" auger left @ $629. There were two this aft but one followed me home... ;)

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:11 AM »
You will be happy with your purchase Bud. Let me know if you want a little extra hp and I can show you a couple of mods you can do! All you need now is an ATV!

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2012, 08:49 AM »
You will be happy with your purchase Bud. Let me know if you want a little extra hp and I can show you a couple of mods you can do! All you need now is an ATV!

I'd assume the carb has adjustable needles (cap limited) for both Low and High speed?

If you don't have one already I might suggest an inductive tach for setting up the carb.

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Yes it has adjustable needles. I'll look into the inductive tach! Thanks ;D

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Check out Arborist site under chainsaws for lots of great tuning and modification info.  Muffler mods are about the first thing to do. I don't mess with the intakes much, just clean up some of the burrs/flashing.  I'd be quite certain that this is a clamshell engine so no base gasket to remove and increase compression.  Good info there about tuniung carbs though.   

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:04 PM »
Better act fast, only 1x 8" auger left @ $629. There were two this aft but one followed me home... ;)

I have my contact from Ottawa checking to see what they have left.  So i assume that all they have left is the old style handles?

Offline TheFishstick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:59 PM »
I have my contact from Ottawa checking to see what they have left.  So i assume that all they have left is the old style handles?

They seem to have had a few of the new style in both 8" and 10" @ ~$820 (a little more for the 10") but only 1x of the older style @ $629.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:45 AM »
Sounds good thanks!

What is your opinion/preference between the two handle styles?  If the cost difference was less (say $50-100) would you opt for the newer one?

Lebaron seems to be a low tech/disorganized company.  Store told me to call mail order.  Mail order said email Customer Service.  Customer Service said they were sold out for season.  Then when I said that I heard Ottawa had some they said:

Good Day
Sorry I don’t know what Ottawa has, best to contact them for product availability, code and price.
Ottawa tel  1-613-596-4415   
Thank you for thinking Le Baron

I hate to be critical, but in this day and age a little bit of inventory control will go a long way towards profitability.

My hope was to mail order one to the States and avoid the harmonized tax, but it looks like I'll have to send my guy in to purchase then forward...

Offline TheFishstick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Sounds good thanks!

What is your opinion/preference between the two handle styles?  If the cost difference was less (say $50-100) would you opt for the newer one?

Lebaron seems to be a low tech/disorganized company.  Store told me to call mail order.  Mail order said email Customer Service.  Customer Service said they were sold out for season.  Then when I said that I heard Ottawa had some they said:

Good Day
Sorry I don’t know what Ottawa has, best to contact them for product availability, code and price.
Ottawa tel  1-613-596-4415   
Thank you for thinking Le Baron

I hate to be critical, but in this day and age a little bit of inventory control will go a long way towards profitability.

My hope was to mail order one to the States and avoid the harmonized tax, but it looks like I'll have to send my guy in to purchase then forward...

I personally prefer the older style handle. The new style just looks ackward. The nice thing about the "old style"they have is that the Lazer drill assembly was produced by Mora of Sweden. Apparently strikemaster has since shifted production to china . Eorth keeping that in mind.

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 15, 2012, 12:36 PM »
I have one thats going on ten years, and has cut literally thousands of holes and still works like the day I bought it! A little video i did last year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=416xBQ9J_pI
Hey just bought a 8 inch 225AI25 and am curious what mods you did to get the HP gains?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline getnjiggywithit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:47 AM »
The main thing alot of people do is to remove the spark arrester screen, although it may be differrant on the newer ones! Next on mine is I enlarged the exhaust exit a little with a small file! On the intake side there is  large gray cap, and under the cap are two holes where the air comes in. I simply added a third hole making  sure its completely covered by the cap. I then added a small washer behind the cap so it sits a little farther away from the housing!  I have a friend who also has similar mods to his auger and no problems so far!
Cheers

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 16, 2012, 08:41 AM »
On the handle thing I wondered about the new looking "goofy" but then I thought about the ergonomics of the "common" design handles.  The angled design really does make sense.  Just put your hands out like you were riding a bicycle with the old style flat pullback bars.  Simulate the range of motion starting a hole and you'll see what I mean.  Flat is really only comfortable when the wrists are below the shoulders.  Husqvarna also angles the top hoop on their saw handles and if you think about it that makes sense as well.

On the muffler mod:  The latest units come with a green fuel cap and catalyst muffler.  This muffler is pretty restrictive.  There may well be an old style muffler w/o cat which would be the simplest solution.  The alternative is to gut the internal baffling.  On my Husqvarna saws I leve the spark screen in place for safety, but enlarge the exit hole substantially.  With the nature of an ice dril a spark arrestor is not necessary with the exception i supose if you were drilling inside a shack lined with straw or shredded newspaper.  On the intake I have not seen this yet to know what it all entails.  I have 3 Husqvarna saws and all have muffler mods as well as a bit of intake elbow cleanup.  All but my newest one is "woods ported" by myself and also runs w/o a cylinder base gasket.  They really rip.

For more on the concept of a muffler mod check out the Arborist Site and look at variuous muffler mod posts.  Lots of pics and while I'm sure it is quite different, the concept is the same. 

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #47 on: Jan 16, 2012, 01:57 PM »
Ive got the new model and I really like the handles, Ive still got some tweaking to do with the carb but I was super impressed with how the husky cut this weekend. Starts in 1 or 2 pulls if you have the choke set correctly and the drilling is almost effortless if you know how to handle it. There is definitely a bit of a technique to drilling with it as I watched all my friends struggle right off the bat, but once you get it figured out its a breeze.

Im going to look into the muffler mods, its got plenty of power but more never hurt.  ;D

The way this thing is geared if it was 85 cc's it would rip your arms off.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 17, 2012, 07:41 PM »
Well I bought the husky today, got a sick deal on it so im pretty pumped. Got the 8" normark flighting and the 10" is on the way which will be nice for pike, lakers and shallow water perch.

Really nice unit, I'll post pictures/video/review after this weekend.

:tipup:

Hay could you comment on how much the 10" flighting cost as well as a weight of both the 8 and 10" please?

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 19, 2012, 01:19 PM »
Well it looks like I will soon be the owner of a 10" Husqvarna.  Considered the 8" and may well ad a 8" drill later if the price is right.  I think 9" is a nice compromise but not avail.  I'll probably keep my 9" Jiffy for a while.

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 20, 2012, 11:48 AM »
I just wanted to add for the "hater" among us here:  The HP mods are not necessary by any stretch of the imagination.  These mods are done because we CAN and because the engine responds and will live unlike the lesser engines from China even US.  As for the plastic, Husqvarna chainsaws have plastic handles that are also the gas tank.  Gas tank caps are sealed and do not leak  The recoil covers are also plastic.  Heck they even have some consumer model saws with composite crankcases and they too hold up well for their intended purposes.  This is not your average china plastic.  I've seen $1000 and even $1100 thrown around here for prices.  I'm not sure how you get there.  I might hit $950+ after all the hassle with getting one to the US, but from what I've seen anyone could walk out the door at under $900 for a 10"

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 22, 2012, 11:57 PM »
Hey there just curious what blades you guys are using ..... Just bought a used 8 inch and the auger has an issue going through the final bit of ice ( really grabs ).

My thought was that the blades are possibly not right ..... Maybe to steep of an angle? The previous owner replaced the blades with mora blades (napa cross referenced apparently.) The auger cuts like a hot damn otherwise.

Nothing else makes sense to me so I was gonna call and order some right from the dealer.

Thoughts?

Mike

Offline Ise De By

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I loves me some fishin'
« Reply #52 on: Jan 23, 2012, 02:38 AM »
Hey there just curious what blades you guys are using ..... Just bought a used 8 inch and the auger has an issue going through the final bit of ice ( really grabs ).

My thought was that the blades are possibly not right ..... Maybe to steep of an angle? The previous owner replaced the blades with mora blades (napa cross referenced apparently.) The auger cuts like a hot damn otherwise.

Nothing else makes sense to me so I was gonna call and order some right from the dealer.

Thoughts?

Mike

check the roundbar support on the bottom of the auger,  this diagonal support bar broke at the weld on my Strikemaster (same lower drill unit)   and it really grabbed in the hole,   now it is bent up a bit, and dont drill right anymore, 

I have a question,   will strikemasters 10 inch laser blades fit on these Husky 10 inch augers?

Ise de by who catches the fish...and takes em home to Liza.

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 23, 2012, 11:51 AM »
check the roundbar support on the bottom of the auger,  this diagonal support bar broke at the weld on my Strikemaster (same lower drill unit)   and it really grabbed in the hole,   now it is bent up a bit, and dont drill right anymore, 

I have a question,   will strikemasters 10 inch laser blades fit on these Husky 10 inch augers?

Just ran out and checked the round bar..... welds look great and round bar is straight all the flighting appears to be in perfect condition.
Called my local husky dealer and they said that the blades I have are the right ones (husky doesnt make there own). I asked them about the cause of my issue and they asked that I bring it down and they could look over the flighting for me.....I am getting stumped now.

Any other suggestions guys?

Thanks
Mike

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #54 on: Jan 23, 2012, 12:25 PM »
Just ran out and checked the round bar..... welds look great and round bar is straight all the flighting appears to be in perfect condition.
Called my local husky dealer and they said that the blades I have are the right ones (husky doesnt make there own). I asked them about the cause of my issue and they asked that I bring it down and they could look over the flighting for me.....I am getting stumped now.

Any other suggestions guys?

Thanks
Mike

Mike - I had the same issue with mine the first time I took it out, its all in how you use it.

When you get to the bottom of the hole, you actually need to pull up a little bit and not let it suck through as fast. Once it gets to that softer ice at the bottom it wants to try and grab too much at once and it will bind so you just need to pull up and make it slow down as it bites through the last couple inches so it doesent bite too much at once. Once you get the technique down it drills like a dream, im loving mine so far.

Took me about 3 trips with it to get the technique down.

Good luck and enjoy, cheers.  :tipup:

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 23, 2012, 01:00 PM »
It's kind of like driling a piece of steel and horsing it through.  When the bit starts to poke through it can bind.

A single cutter ripper blade like Jiffy uses seems less prone to do this.

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 23, 2012, 03:15 PM »
Mike - I had the same issue with mine the first time I took it out, its all in how you use it.

When you get to the bottom of the hole, you actually need to pull up a little bit and not let it suck through as fast. Once it gets to that softer ice at the bottom it wants to try and grab too much at once and it will bind so you just need to pull up and make it slow down as it bites through the last couple inches so it doesent bite too much at once. Once you get the technique down it drills like a dream, im loving mine so far.

Took me about 3 trips with it to get the technique down.

Good luck and enjoy, cheers.  :tipup:

Ill have to give that a whirl. I was "feathering" as much as possible. I actually bent the mounting bar on the bottom of the head unit where the hadle mounts attach.

I will have to have a shop double check it over before I hit the ice again.....just watching some videos it doesnt apprear any others have issue like I do........ its a real PITA!!

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 23, 2012, 05:17 PM »
Ill have to give that a whirl. I was "feathering" as much as possible. I actually bent the mounting bar on the bottom of the head unit where the hadle mounts attach.I will have to have a shop double check it over before I hit the ice again.....just watching some videos it doesnt apprear any others have issue like I do........ its a real PITA!!

Yikes!  You mean the TQ from when it snagged bent it?  Is yours the full loop handle or individuals?

Offline Ise De By

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I loves me some fishin'
« Reply #58 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:09 PM »
I just ordered one of these units in the 10 inch bit,   it comes in 2 days,    I hope it lives up to the hype,   what oils are you running in these things?   and at what ratios?

Ise de by who catches the fish...and takes em home to Liza.

Offline Mike_W

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 23, 2012, 06:16 PM »
Yikes!  You mean the TQ from when it snagged bent it?  Is yours the full loop handle or individuals?

Yes and full loop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.